Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought a 2015 Accord Sport but it does not have a garage door opener...is there one we can buy to install on the mirror or above the sunglass holder for decent price. Dealer price is $300. Any suggestions would help.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Had hard time programming HomeLink in my '16 coupe to work with my garage door opener which uses "roaming" codes.

So I just put the opener that came with the opener in the "sunglass" holder above the rear view mirror. Quick push to open the holder and press the remote button. And the remote isn't visible from outside the car when it's in there...

And if the opener slides around in there, use a small Velcro patch on each side. That's what I used in my '00 coupe which didn't have HomeLink.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Almost all the garage door openers in the last 15 years have the roaming code. You have to press the "learn" button on the actual garage door opener motor for the car Homelink button to learn the rolling code. Takes 2 to 3 minutes if you know what you are doing. Took me 2 minutes each to program both the garage door openers in my house.

Step 1. Park your car outside. Press and hold your actual garage door remote button (remote must be 3 to 4 inches from the homelink buttons), and one of the Homelink buttons until the lights by the homelink stops blinking.

Step 2. Locate the "Learn" button on the actual garage door opener in your garage (you may need a step stool or small ladder). Once you press the "Learn" button it will be valid only for 30 seconds, go quickly to the car and press that particular Homelink button (you pressed alongside the remote)once for 3 to 4 seconds, your light on the garage opener might blink. repeat the process couple of times and the garage door will close.

Thats it, you are done and your homelink button will open and close the garage door.

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1 to Rvr15. The MyQ can also be purchased without the opener and used on most existing openers. I have a Craftsman that is around 12 years old and it works great. Not only can you open / close it on your smart phone, it send alerts when your door opens / closes so you don't have to drive around the block to see if your door is down. I bought mine at Home Depot. I believe it was around 180. Easy install. Took all of 20 minutes from the time it was unboxed till it was operating. Chamberlain and Liftmaster have the feature built in using the same app.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
+1 to Rvr15. The MyQ can also be purchased without the opener and used on most existing openers. I have a Craftsman that is around 12 years old and it works great. Not only can you open / close it on your smart phone, it send alerts when your door opens / closes so you don't have to drive around the block to see if your door is down. I bought mine at Home Depot. I believe it was around 180. Easy install. Took all of 20 minutes from the time it was unboxed till it was operating. Chamberlain and Liftmaster have the feature built in using the same app.
I had a look into this looks interesting, I'm just not sure its worth the money... or if using my phone is as convenient as a button.

MyQ Garage Door Opener WiFi connection system | MYQ-G0201 - Chamberlain

I'd actually prefer having one of these on my key chain.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Almost all the garage door openers in the last 15 years have the roaming code. You have to press the "learn" button on the actual garage door opener motor for the car Homelink button to learn the rolling code. Takes 2 to 3 minutes if you know what you are doing. Took me 2 minutes each to program both the garage door openers in my house.

Step 1. Park your car outside. Press and hold your actual garage door remote button (remote must be 3 to 4 inches from the homelink buttons), and one of the Homelink buttons until the lights by the homelink stops blinking.

Step 2. Locate the "Learn" button on the actual garage door opener in your garage (you may need a step stool or small ladder). Once you press the "Learn" button it will be valid only for 30 seconds, go quickly to the car and press that particular Homelink button (you pressed alongside the remote)once for 3 to 4 seconds, your light on the garage opener might blink. repeat the process couple of times and the garage door will close.

Thats it, you are done and your homelink button will open and close the garage door.
That's exactly what I've done too many times to count. This garage door opener just refuses to sync with HomeLink, even with an extra pair of hands helping to press the buttons at the right time. :rant:

In the end, I put the opener's own remote in the sunglasses holder which is what I did with previous Accord without HomeLink. That's less aggravating and it works every time (Velcro optional).

I also bought one of those remotes like 08EX-L posted because we don't have a key switch to open the garage door from the outside. It cost ~$23 including s/h a few years back from Sanford&Son and was worth it. That exact model has been replaced by a new one which is compatible with LiftMaster as far back as 1993, but not at much higher price...

·
Cruzing Through Life!
451 Posts
I have two Chamberlain garage door operators. My newest car is the 2008 Accord and they have the older Homelink version. Chamberlain sent me the converter equipment to use the app and to make it compatible with my older Homelink systems in my cars, at minimal cost, $10 for shipping.

The system works great and I have issue setting it up.

I also have a VeraPlus home automation system. This system allows me to operate the front door, garage doors, lights and thermostat. At 9pm every night, it makes sure the doors are locked and garage doors are closed. It lets me know when the doors open and who opens the front door.

It's very nice and easy to setup and use.

·
"Registered"?
3,349 Posts
Since my '07 doesn't have Homelink, I took the opener's remote and stuck some 3M Dual-Lock fastener to the remote, then another piece of the Dual-Lock stuff on the glass an inch or two to the right of the mirror mount. Can't see it when I'm driving. Never falls off.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have both the opener and sunglasses in the holder. haven't figured out a rattle fix yet that both can still occupy that space.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This didn't work with my 2017 Honda Accord. I've tried the videos from Honda which are the same in the Homelink and Genie website. I factory reset the car's Homelink and also the garage door opener but no luck.
Is there some trick out there for a Genie Intellicode Model H6000A to work with My 2017 Honda.

·
2015 EX-L V6
27 Posts
That's exactly what I've done too many times to count. This garage door opener just refuses to sync with HomeLink, even with an extra pair of hands helping to press the buttons at the right time. :rant:

In the end, I put the opener's own remote in the sunglasses holder which is what I did with previous Accord without HomeLink. That's less aggravating and it works every time (Velcro optional).

I also bought one of those remotes like 08EX-L posted because we don't have a key switch to open the garage door from the outside. It cost ~$23 including s/h a few years back from Sanford&Son and was worth it. That exact model has been replaced by a new one which is compatible with LiftMaster as far back as 1993, but not at much higher price...
I had a huge problem getting it to sync with my accord as well. It eventually worked when I moved the car inside the garage, now it works. I just have to hold down the button about a second longer then I'd expect to get the door to open.

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
2,147 Posts
Just brought a 2015 Accord Sport but it does not have a garage door opener...is there one we can buy to install on the mirror or above the sunglass holder for decent price. Dealer price is $300. Any suggestions would help.
Yep, this is what I installed on my Sport. It is a Gentex HomeLink Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror with Installation Kit. I paid $51 on eBay.

Tapped into the constant power from the map light for the Homelink.

You can run the auto dim mirror positive to the fuse panel to find an ignition on source. But I was lazy and just tapped into the ambient light positive so the mirror comes on with the lights.

Negative just tap to the sheet metal under the overhead console.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts