Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a thread a while back about the gas mileage and I have read them all I think. I have an Accord Sport with auto. 40 k miles-bought it used a few months ago. I have never seen on my gas mileage computer in the car anything near a 30 mpg average let alone 35-37 that many others report. We just did a 275 trip with 80% hwy. driving with the Econ button on. Some at 75 mph and some at 55 mph because of some bad weather. Mpg trip computer said 26.7 . That's not good for this car compared to what I have seen. I try to keep my green Econ light on as much as possible which means I am not hot rodding the car. The only thing I have changed from stock is a K&N replacement air filter which I put in every car I buy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The cold weather severely reduces gas mileage. When the weather warms up I bet you gas mileage will greatly increase. In the summer, I averaged 28-32 MPG & now in this cold weather I average about 24-26 MPG.

·
Wanda Honda
458 Posts
Im lucky if I get 22....my last reading was 19 MPG but that's probably b/c of the cold weather and I've been using my remote starter more frequently due to the crazy cold weather here in WNY. I'm only getting about 380 miles per tank right now. :(

And since I got the CVT transmission valve update in the winter, I'm not sure if the new valve affected the MPG further. Guess we'll see when it's summer here again.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
My tank average has dropped from 31 summer to 24 in the winter on the same drive loop. Head winds also kill MPGs.

Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks I hope you are correct. I'm in Chicago area and the weather has been horrible!
Yeah i just got my car on the 28th, and my mileage has been horrible compared to my RSX, but i've got my heat on most of the time, and sometime gun it here and there :D. Hopefully when weather gets warmer and clearer, i'll see an increase.

·
4,339 Posts

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
I drove a few long highway trips over the weekend, in VERY cold weather (minus 10 to minus 20)

My V6 was getting 28.5 to 29.0 on the highway cruising at 80 mph. All in all not bad given the low temps and the higher-than-normal speed which I know also cuts into mileage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gas milage has completely tanked since the cold weather has come, but thats to be expected in the winter here in Canada.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Same here,live in northern NJ. My V6 is 2 months old and my work round trip has dropped recently from 26-27 mpg to recent 22-23. I only warmed up car 3-4 minutes this week so I'm not burning too much idling like many others are this week

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in new mexico and I get 29.9 mpg so far. it is not that cold down here though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just got a brand new accord lx (v4) first trip avg mpg was just under 28, with about 75% of that being highway miles, with Econ button on about 90% of the time, I'm in Los Angeles as well. I figured mine would at least crack 30mpg but it didn't.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I just got a brand new accord lx (v4) first trip avg mpg was just under 28, with about 75% of that being highway miles, with Econ button on about 90% of the time, I'm in Los Angeles as well. I figured mine would at least crack 30mpg but it didn't.

It's an i4 engine, not a v4 - Just FYI.

As for your MPG, what you are seeing is not abnormal for a brand new engine. Give it a few thousand miles to break in and you should see the average MPG go up. Also, try a tank or two with the ECON mode OFF and compare mileage, Some users, myself included, seem to get better mileage without it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's an i4 engine, not a v4 - Just FYI.

As for your MPG, what you are seeing is not abnormal for a brand new engine. Give it a few thousand miles to break in and you should see the average MPG go up. Also, try a tank or two with the ECON mode OFF and compare mileage, Some users, myself included, seem to get better mileage without it.
Yes, i4...sorry early I'm the a.m. For me. That's very interesting that some people on here get better mpg with the Econ off, should I wait until I have a few thousand miles on the car to really have an accurate comparison of Econ on/Econ off mpg comparison?

·
Wanda Honda
458 Posts
Thanks guys. Is the cvt trans valve update a recall thing?
The CVT valve update was for people who were getting low speed & low RPM judders from their transmission while in drive. It'll also lurch forward a bit when you're about to come to a stop. I qualified for the update since my VIN was in range and the technician was able to duplicate the problem.

Read the TSB sticky in this forum starting with post #87. It smoothed about my transmission considerably.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78407&page=6

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Yes, i4...sorry early I'm the a.m. For me. That's very interesting that some people on here get better mpg with the Econ off, should I wait until I have a few thousand miles on the car to really have an accurate comparison of Econ on/Econ off mpg comparison?

Yes, give it a few thousand miles to break-in and run a few tanks with ECON off, then a few with it on and compare. Would be more accurate if your drive routes are as close as possible.

·
4,339 Posts
Good app... I might get it...
Its fantastic. It tracks everything. Fuel, Repairs, Payments, Insurance. It can even track Mileage on summer and winter tires. Also, on motorcycles it can track mileage on front and rear tires as they can get changed at different intervals. Of course its only as good as the person who puts the info in. But, you can be as anal as you want to be about that. I track everything on all our cars just short of insurance and payments.

:thmsup:

Jay

1 - 20 of 37 Posts