Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
khol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 SE. According to the manual the tank capacity is 17.1 gallons and the low tank light is suppose to turn on when there are 2.5 gallons left.

Despite this when my, fuel light has come on, the most gas I have ever put in the tank is 13.2 gallons which would suggest that the tank is closer to 15.7.

Why is this?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an 06 Accord SE and the spec (I think was 16.5 gallons). Usually when the low fuel light comes on, I can squeeze in about 13.5 - 14 gallons. I typically drive it another 50-70 miles and pump in 15 - 15.5 gallons.

Two months ago I really wanted to see, so I drove it a long time more than I normally do and I pumped 17.27 gallons. I am sure it was about bone dry and I filled it completely up to the hole where the gas pump nozzle goes in.

I have tracked my fuel consumption religiously since 7/17/2010 (54,025 miles/154 fuel ups) on fuelly.com. User name there is the same as here if you want to check it out.

·
EX V6 6spd
133 Posts
I have an 04 6-6 and i drove on E for 2 days (over 75 miles) and finally got nervous enough to get gas. Most i got in there was 15.6gal so i had technically another 30 miles (1.5gal) or so to go before running out. The light has a lot of cushion for those who are not so in-tuned with their cars i think :p

·
Banned
546 Posts
Your tank is 17.1 gallons unless you've somehow dented it in and decreased it's overall volume...doubt you have done that.

That "low fuel light" is not accurate at all. My light usually comes on after I have burned 14-15 gallons, but when refueling the car the light will not turn off until 2-3 gallons have been placed back into the tank.

You have nothing to worry about...the low fuel light system is not accurate

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
..low fuel lite and variable accuracy....................

1. The Gen 7 6-6 in my garage shows 135,000 odometer miles.

2. When I get the low fuel indication, I fill the tank.

3. Been doing this over 8 years.

4. Almost always (first click) the pump read 13.8 gallons.

Altho a new diesel is now alongside the Accord, this car stays.

ez

·
khol
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I do suppose that I would rather have the gas light come on a lot sooner than it needs to than to have not come on until the last minute. I wish though that Honda would have changed the manual to better reflect this.

Out of curiosity; another thing I have noticed is that the fuel gauge actually falls at a constant rate. Almost all of the other cars I have driven tend to stay at the F line for a long time then quickly fall to the E line.

·
Accordial
36 Posts
Well I do suppose that I would rather have the gas light come on a lot sooner than it needs to than to have not come on until the last minute. I wish though that Honda would have changed the manual to better reflect this.

Out of curiosity; another thing I have noticed is that the fuel gauge actually falls at a constant rate. Almost all of the other cars I have driven tend to stay at the F line for a long time then quickly fall to the E line.
This.

Just goes to show that Honda quality:thmsup:

·
Banned
546 Posts

This.

Just goes to show that Honda quality:thmsup:
It doesn't fall at a constant rate for all Accords. Many of us on here have posted about that before, seeming to be getting amazing MPGs the first half of the tank only to have the second half disappear quickly.

For example:

I can squeeze 100-120 highway miles out of my V6 5AT sedan before it finally comes off of the "Full" mark and hit 280-310 miles when the needle finally is touching dead center of the "half-tank" mark. But then around 450-470 miles total my gas light is about to come on. Granted I still have ~3 gallons left when the gas light first illuminates, the second half of the range of motion moves faster than the first. But then again, all of our cars are different.

·
Accordial
36 Posts
It doesn't fall at a constant rate for all Accords. Many of us on here have posted about that before, seeming to be getting amazing MPGs the first half of the tank only to have the second half disappear quickly.

For example:

I can squeeze 100-120 highway miles out of my V6 5AT sedan before it finally comes off of the "Full" mark and hit 280-310 miles when the needle finally is touching dead center of the "half-tank" mark. But then around 450-470 miles total my gas light is about to come on. Granted I still have ~3 gallons left when the gas light first illuminates, the second half of the range of motion moves faster than the first. But then again, all of our cars are different.
Wow you get good gas milage.. I dont even see that in my 4 cylinder
:dunno:

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
That's because Mike W puts his money and time into maintenance. His car will get great mpg's, go 500,000 miles, and still be worth a good amount when he sells.

·
Banned
546 Posts
That's because Mike W puts his money and time into maintenance. His car will get great mpg's, go 500,000 miles, and still be worth a good amount when he sells.
Yep, like Rick said maintenance goes a long way on these Hondas. Don't get me wrong, I still redline her every now and then, but most of the time I rarely get over 2500 RPM, and perhaps the biggest improvement to my driving style came from installing my Ultra Gauge to always be able to view live engine parameters. It'll really teach you how to drive your car differently for better MPGs. And that 36.6 MPG mark was before I replaced my spark plugs and went to using the RV6 PCDs. I'd love to try and replicate those same driving conditions and see if I could top the 36.6 MPG mark, but I don't live in that same area and now my commute is only 10 miles round trip vs. 120 miles of interstate like it was in 2010.

And thanks for the kind words Rick! :thmsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts