Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you're not supposed to put the stuff in, but I'm losing coolant, can't see where, it's clearly not mixing with the oil (yet) & I don't care about the engine so I wanna try a band-aid for a bit knowing I could make it worse. With that, how can you by pass the thermostat for "free flow" on these cars? Is it possible? Do you pop the thermostat out of the housing & just reconnect it & put a new thermo in when done?

·
Super Moderator
5,934 Posts
You don't care about the engine great, that's what makes the car move. If you don't care then why even ask how to fix it?! And are you talking about the 4 or 6 cyl engine?

You can free flow the coolant and run it open at all times by removing the thermostat, but the engine will warm up very slow as you are letting air cool radiator right away even while the engine is warming up. There are multiple places where coolant can seep out, heater hoses, radiator hoses, heater core, radiator itself, coolant hoses to the throttle body.

It's your money, if you don't want to fix this one and let it overheat then you'll spend more on yet another car.

·
2006 Accord EX
1,134 Posts
I know you're not supposed to put the stuff in, but I'm losing coolant, can't see where, it's clearly not mixing with the oil (yet) & I don't care about the engine so I wanna try a band-aid for a bit knowing I could make it worse. With that, how can you by pass the thermostat for "free flow" on these cars? Is it possible? Do you pop the thermostat out of the housing & just reconnect it & put a new thermo in when done?
Whoa now...
Just how much coolant is leaking over a couple days' time??
if you're car is running ok, and not overheating, but only losing coolant, that's not exactly a well thought out plan you have.
You need to weigh that against possibly clogging the cores, as in, the heater core and radiator's core...
If it's a head gasket leaking, then adding "stop leak" or some other chemical isn't going to help too much.
Once you put that crap in, you're not getting it out.

Is it blowing white smoke from the exhaust??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aluma-seal is my go-to when I don't want to fix a leak today. I won't drive across the desert with a known cooling system issue, but if I'm just putting around, I don't mind.

If you see white smoke out the tailpipe or bubbles in the radiator, that is a head gasket. you won't win that battle with a additive. Has it ever gotten hot?

My 2006 v6 is losing coolant..water pump. It is very slow leak. Water does not hit the ground, but I can see the dried coolant on the oil pan.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't find a leak. the only time I've seen it over heat is when I let it idle for 35 min & that only got to 3/4 & I shut her off. It was a quart low on the coolant, other than no overheat.

I can't see where the coolant is, it does not blow white smoke but I have seen a little little bit of white on certain days. I'm pretty sure it's a head issue, my Ford 6.oh hell no was doing this exact same thing & it was a cracked head.

The only bubbles I see in the coolant are in the reserve. Which brings another issue, that is what's empty the radiator is always full? but the bottle is not leaking.

But back to the question, if I remove the thermostat it's part of a housing assembly so I can't just remove that & let it flow, which is why I was asking how to let it free flow.

I hate throwing things like this out there but I am willing to try a sealant as a band aid cause I can afford to junk it, or if I want a project when I put my boat away I may just tear it apart. The car is a beater, I mean poorly taken care of, all the weather seals are bad, the paint is s**t which is why I don't care.

·
2006 Accord EX
1,134 Posts
Ok.
It's a head gasket, more than likely.
No bandaids, for a bad head gasket.
Waiting game now...keep the reservoir full. Good luck.

Can't expect much...from a "poorly taken care of" vehicle.

·
Roll Tide!
7,413 Posts
I can't find a leak. the only time I've seen it over heat is when I let it idle for 35 min & that only got to 3/4 & I shut her off. It was a quart low on the coolant, other than no overheat.

I can't see where the coolant is, it does not blow white smoke but I have seen a little little bit of white on certain days. I'm pretty sure it's a head issue, my Ford 6.oh hell no was doing this exact same thing & it was a cracked head.

The only bubbles I see in the coolant are in the reserve. Which brings another issue, that is what's empty the radiator is always full? but the bottle is not leaking.

But back to the question, if I remove the thermoY
Throw in the towel and pay the man. You are over your head. If you don't know that the dummy temp gauge on your dash getting to "3/4" is NOT the same thing as the car overheating, you don't have the aptitude to take on this task. Finding a leak is about the easiest thing you can do, and yet you can't do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
t-rd
Drive Accord Honda Forums
Drive Accord forum, a community where Honda Accord owners can discuss reviews, service, parts, and share mods.
Full Forum Listing