Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I briefly touched on this in another thread - My 10/2018 build date 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT does not do the gauge sweep/startup. It just turns on I reckon like a car without this would. I've so far asked service advisors and sales associates at two South Florida area dealers and each time they've dismissed me until I came armed with a video from one of many reviews I've seen on the Accord specifically matching my exact specs in terms of year, trim, and transmission, doing the gauge sweep. In the aforementioned thread, a fellow forum member commented that his 18 6MT Accord Sport does the gauge sweep - we did not expand on this further because I didn't want to hijack the thread. Anyway, I'm baffled as to why mine doesn't do it. It's not a deal breaker or as huge a deal as my post might imply, but I was expecting my car to do this, and I can readily produce evidence that other 18 Accords across the spectrum in terms of trim levels and transmissions do it - except for my car. That said, at one of the dealers, where I bought my car, we started two manual 2019/Sport/2.0T 6MT Accords, and they did not do the sweep. At the other dealer, where I just completed recent service, they started 3 automatics and one 2019/Sport/1.5 6MT Accord - the autos did the startup sweep and the manual car did not. I was referred to Honda USA and given a 1-800 number. I don't think I'm going to go that far, but again, I was expecting mine to do this and simply want some sort of answer if it was discontinued from 2018.5 and on or if its something I can enable via some other means (pc hookup). PS - I didn't specifically go into the dealer for this reason, the first dealer was where I bought the car, asked the question there, second dealer is closer to home and we had to get the front defrost vent replaced because it was deformed/missing a clip and figured I'd ask them.

As for what I've done:
There does not seem to be a setting to enable this in the infotainment system. I've connected to WiFi and ensured it was up to date. With a SA, we pulled the battery terminals, we've factory reset the infotainment, etc. I have the permanent tach set so I can view info like MPG and still see the tach. Does anyone have a 6MT Accord that does not do this (2018 or 2019), or does anyone know if Honda removed this altogether from just the manual Accords? I know we don't have the sport button which gives you the compact tach with a boost gauge, but I'm not sure why manual Accords wouldn't do the gauge sweep either. Thanks in advance for reading/replying.

·
REV29K
556 Posts
Did you ask the SA if you and him/her can walk out to one of the 6MT Accords on the lot and see that they do the gauge sweep? Why can't the SA call Honda and ask if the gauges should sweep on your car? Shouldn't they know better than anyone?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Call Honda corp. & ask them to have an engineer look into it, maybe it is a glitch in some of the software they use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Did you ask the SA if you and him/her can walk out to one of the 6MT Accords on the lot and see that they do the gauge sweep? Why can't the SA call Honda and ask if the gauges should sweep on your car? Shouldn't they know better than anyone?
Yes, at the dealer where I bought the car, we started two other 2019 6MT Accords, they did not do the sweep. At the dealer where I serviced the car, they tested 3 autos and 1 manual. The autos did it, the manual did not. Again, 2019 vehicles. At the last dealer, they just gave me the Honda 1-800 number for the US and told me to call. Both dealers don't seem to care about exploring my question further. As a matter of principle, I've engaged Honda via a social media account to see if I get an answer there.

My vehicle is a 2018 (built 10/18) that doesn't do it - I presented SAs at both dealers with a video of a 2018 (build date unknown, but same exact specs) and does do it. So even if this was a change for 2019, my 18 should still do it? Video below. And, another forum member here confirmed his 6MT 18 does it.

(startup/sweep happens at 4:35)

I must add that without documentation from forums and reviews on YouTube, the dealers would dismiss me even quicker by saying things like, you didn't get the Touring, and that's a Touring feature, or the like. Very frustrating.

Call Honda corp. & ask them to have an engineer look into it, maybe it is a glitch in some of the software they use.
I've engaged them on social media, and my next step will be to call. I am thinking the firmware or equivalent on my car might be different (newer) than some of the older build cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Social media sent me back to the dealer... I'll call the 1-800 when I have an opportunity.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's in the fine print on all brochures and the website:

" American Honda Motor Co., Inc., reserves the right to make changes at any time, without notice or obligation, in colors, specifications, accessories, materials and models."

Sounds like they made a running change at some point during the production process. It's probably impossible to trace exactly when the change occurred unless you know someone deep inside of the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You're out of luck. It's clearly a software change. I doubt they'll re-introduce it because it's not a safety issue, not a recall issue, and probably not a heavily requested feature from buyers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's in the fine print on all brochures and the website:

" American Honda Motor Co., Inc., reserves the right to make changes at any time, without notice or obligation, in colors, specifications, accessories, materials and models."

Sounds like they made a running change at some point during the production process. It's probably impossible to trace exactly when the change occurred unless you know someone deep inside of the manufacturing process.
I suspect this is the case too but it's something I'd expect any number of people at the dealer to know. It might sound silly but I was expecting to see that in my car and no one could or has been able to give me an answer, when for them, it's probably a phone call away. It's pretty frustrating to be told that it's trim specific (it's not), the SA should know, and then have the SA send me back to the salesmen, then send me to a manager who sent me to a 1-800. Though, I will credit the salesmen at Braman Honda in Miami for genuinely investigating the issue and sounding like they cared. It's small touches that make the difference in overall car buying experience. That said, I am extremely happy with the car.

You're out of luck. It's clearly a software change. I doubt they'll re-introduce it because it's not a safety issue, not a recall issue, and probably not a heavily requested feature from buyers.
Not sure why Honda would drop this from the 6MT vehicles and leave it on all the rest (autos)? It's not a deal breaker, but I did want to know what happened. As I mod the car and meet SAs friendly to that, I reckon I'll ask about the gauge sweep at that time. Might be something they can do - either flash back or it's an option on their computers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Were you able to find anything out on this? I have also hit a dead end. Does anyone know how to make the animation of the guage sweep happen? I purchased the 2019 2.0T 6 speed and mine currently does not do that. I cannot find any info on how to change it anywhere. I have seen videos of 2018 2.0T 6spd doing it and the 2019 1.5T sport that I test drove at another dealership did it. But mine does not and I have looked in the manual, in the settings and on online and nothing is coming up. I am just really confused my car does not do this when the 18 manual sports do and the 2019 1.5T that I test drove did

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a FYI, MY 2018 1.5T doesn’t do the sweep...not that it matters but I kinda wish it did

·
Need some LSD...
93 Posts
I totally just paid an extra 2 seconds to my dash the other day after pushing the start button....And I got the sweep! 2018 2.0 6spd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2018 1.5 has the sweep. I looked at a couple of videos on YouTube for 2018 and 2019 Accords and I can't find one where the animation isn't there.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 2.0 6MT
9 Posts
I know this is an old thread but has anyone else looked into this any further? I have a 2019 2.0T 6MT and I just noticed I don’t have the sweep. If it makes a difference my car was made November 2018. Any thoughts?

I also have a 2019 2.0T 6MT and no sweep...
Interesting. I would love to get a poll or something going to see which cars do and don’t to find out what the pattern is.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Gauges do the sweep so the driver knows the little stepper motor that the needle is connected to is still alive.

What you are looking at is a computer screen that shows a picture of some gauges.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think I may have been the person who commented in that other thread about having a 2018 2.0T 6MT that does the sweep.

I would propose that people post the following (build date is located on a sticker applied to the driver side door jamb) :
Model Year:
Engine (1.5 or 2.0):
Build Date:

This might help us find where the changeover took place. Could it have been when they did the backup camera software update? I will post my own, but I need to get out and look up the build date.

Gauges do the sweep so the driver knows the little stepper motor that the needle is connected to is still alive.

What you are looking at is a computer screen that shows a picture of some gauges.
Technically these have a real speedo, and an LCD screen on the left that handles the center display info and the tach.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Technically these have a real speedo, and an LCD screen on the left that handles the center display info and the tach.
Looking at the video op posted:

Computer off:

Computer powering up (no needles yet):

Needle sweep animation (no dials yet):

Graphics loaded, tachometer at zero:

Ready:

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 2.0 6MT
9 Posts

Computer off:
View attachment 524030

View attachment 524031

View attachment 524032

View attachment 524033

View attachment 524034

Ready:
View attachment 524035
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this. The speedometer is analog and the tachometer is digital. I own the car and look at it every day. We're just trying to figure out which years and models have the sweep and which don't. I don't care that it's useless I just think it looks cool.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Computer off:
View attachment 524030

View attachment 524031

View attachment 524032

View attachment 524033

View attachment 524034

Ready:
View attachment 524035
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. The speedo on the left has a real moving needle. The tach and the center area between tach and speedo are just an LCD screen showing the animations. They light up the needle on the right before they light up the backlight for the numbers on the speedo side.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this. The speedometer is analog and the tachometer is digital. I own the car and look at it every day. We're just trying to figure out which years and models have the sweep and which don't. I don't care that it's useless I just think it looks cool.
I may have sent us off the rails by pointing out the fact that the speedo is analog or "mechanical" - not an LCD. I was just pointing out that the sweep would still be functional on that "real" needle to show that it works.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts