Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Gauge sweep/startup animation

15K views 74 replies 44 participants last post by  Dan601 
#1 ·
I briefly touched on this in another thread - My 10/2018 build date 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT does not do the gauge sweep/startup. It just turns on I reckon like a car without this would. I've so far asked service advisors and sales associates at two South Florida area dealers and each time they've dismissed me until I came armed with a video from one of many reviews I've seen on the Accord specifically matching my exact specs in terms of year, trim, and transmission, doing the gauge sweep. In the aforementioned thread, a fellow forum member commented that his 18 6MT Accord Sport does the gauge sweep - we did not expand on this further because I didn't want to hijack the thread. Anyway, I'm baffled as to why mine doesn't do it. It's not a deal breaker or as huge a deal as my post might imply, but I was expecting my car to do this, and I can readily produce evidence that other 18 Accords across the spectrum in terms of trim levels and transmissions do it - except for my car. That said, at one of the dealers, where I bought my car, we started two manual 2019/Sport/2.0T 6MT Accords, and they did not do the sweep. At the other dealer, where I just completed recent service, they started 3 automatics and one 2019/Sport/1.5 6MT Accord - the autos did the startup sweep and the manual car did not. I was referred to Honda USA and given a 1-800 number. I don't think I'm going to go that far, but again, I was expecting mine to do this and simply want some sort of answer if it was discontinued from 2018.5 and on or if its something I can enable via some other means (pc hookup). PS - I didn't specifically go into the dealer for this reason, the first dealer was where I bought the car, asked the question there, second dealer is closer to home and we had to get the front defrost vent replaced because it was deformed/missing a clip and figured I'd ask them.

As for what I've done:
There does not seem to be a setting to enable this in the infotainment system. I've connected to WiFi and ensured it was up to date. With a SA, we pulled the battery terminals, we've factory reset the infotainment, etc. I have the permanent tach set so I can view info like MPG and still see the tach. Does anyone have a 6MT Accord that does not do this (2018 or 2019), or does anyone know if Honda removed this altogether from just the manual Accords? I know we don't have the sport button which gives you the compact tach with a boost gauge, but I'm not sure why manual Accords wouldn't do the gauge sweep either. Thanks in advance for reading/replying.

See less See more
#46 ·
Those red bars represent the cars that Frank was working on. Frank's was a notorious drunk. Those were the times he came to work loaded or really hung over and forgot to insert the CFGS (Cool Freakin' Gauge Sweep) chip. They nearly fired Frank but the union personnel rep got him to go to rehab and he's been sober since June of 2019. We're really proud of you Frank. And sorry to the folks who missed out on the CFGS feature. But, hey Frank's doing better and his wife even came back, so...
-Honda of America

#47 ·
They nearly fired Frank but the union personnel rep got him to go to rehab
Honda is non-union.

Honda Marysville: A non-union auto plant prospers

Sep. 30, 2019

Marysville, Ohio — While the United Auto Workers strike against General Motors Co. plants stretches on, it's been business as usual here at Honda Motor Co.’s Marysville assembly.

Celebrating its 40th year of production this month, the non-union plant has never had a work stoppage as it has pumped out two of the most popular vehicles in America: the Honda Accord sedan and CR-V SUV.

#48 ·
It's a joke dude. Like right to work. Frank just read this and bought a case of Milwaukee's Best and threw it into his freezer. He'll finish them before they even get cold. Thanks for that. His wife Betty lost all that weight and even bought a negligee. But, that's off too. Little Jimmy won't have coach and Tammy Sue will no doubt be pregnant by the time she's 16. You don't deserve a sweeping gauge. I have one because I ran into Frank at the AA meeting and he installed one in mine on the sly. Oh well. This is all still part of the joke Mr. Literal.

#50 ·
You weren't really asking for input for the Hybrid model, but FWIW:

Model Year: 2018 Accord Hybrid
Trim: Touring
Engine (1.5 or 2.0): 2.0 liter NA, plus electric motor
Transmission: "eCVT" (more of a lock-up clutch, at one fixed gear ratio)
Build Date: 09/18
Sweep?: Yes (in the Hybrid case, it is a regular speedometer, plus a virtual needle on the "power dial" that sits where a tach would be)

The gauge sweep has some more benefit in the case of the Hybrid model, as when you turn the car on, the gas engine may or may not start. Other than the gauge sweep, the other main indication that the car is ON is that you get an indicator light that says "Ready"....

#57 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

In case anyone was wondering what it looks like when the gauges do not sweep, I recorded this video of my car the other day:

IMG_0284.MOV

Also—below is an image of the latest compiled data as well as a direct link to the Google Sheet:

Link to Google Sheet

The pattern identified before is still evident. 6MT models built in the 12 months between June 2018 and May 2019 do not feature a gauge sweep. I would really like to hear from any 10AT/CVT owners who don't have a gauge sweep.

#59 ·
Hello,

Sorry to revive this pre-historic thread, but I just bought a 2.0T 6sp with no gauge sweep and its very annoying. Would an instrument cluster work? Has anyone tried to do it?
Post your build date and see if it falls in the "dead zone" mentioned above for 6MTs...it's on a sticker on the drivers side door jamb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.