Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so yesterday, I got out of work and tried shifting my shifter out of park and it wouldn't go at all, after a couple minutes of trying and bickering with it it released... But then I put it back into park to see if it would do that again. And it did, and ever since it hasn't shifted out of park regularly. I had to pop the shift override lock cover off and put my key in and it, every time I do that, the shifter releases perfectly without any problem. But when I take the key out of it, the gear shifter just locks up again. Its really frustrating. I've read up and every post I find... Says that it is the brake light switch, but the brake lock is fine I think because when I press the brake the lights in the back are one and when I take my feet off the brake, the lights turn off. Does anyone know what's going on with it?? I seriously just bought the car 2 weeks ago and it was working up until yesterday just fine.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
My guess based on 5 minutes of looking at the 8G service manual? Something wrong with the shift lock solenoid. The service manual says you may need to grease the solenoid plunger.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Check things in this order.

-Check to see if brake lights work. If they work, last step
- If they don't work, under the hood fuse box. Check the stop light fuse, they are related to the shift lock mechanism.
-If the fuse is bad, replace, if its good and stop lights don't work it's the unit behind the pedal.
-If stop lights work, and shift lock doesn't, check shift lock solenoid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do I get the cover under the steering wheel off? That thing is ridiculously hard to get off. I want to try the brake switch first, since it is the cheapest of the two solutions.

·
4,062 Posts
I don't think you need to remove trim to access the brake switch, you should be able to see it attached to the pedal (at least with the 8G). Otherwise, start with a corner of the trim by the door and pull until you think you're about to break it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its right behind the brake pedal. No need to remove anything, its just a little sensor. If you take it apart and look at it you can always just move the little pin things around so you don't have to buy a new one. That what I did the last time it happened to me, although a new one is cheap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its slid in a bracket, you just need to twist it and it comes out then unplug it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I installed the brake switch today, it didn't fix the problem so that wasn't the problem... And so I called up the dealer and ordered the shift lock solenoid, it'll be here on Tuesday, and I tried looking for a video or some sort of tutorial on how to install it, and there is none that I can find. If anyone can point me in the right direction... That'd be great. Thank you Honda peeps. :)

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Nope, wasn't the switch in my case either a while back - although unlike you I didn't throw money at parts hoping it'd fix it lol. After doing a lot of research, I found out that it was a fuse. One second let me find my thread about it and I'll get you the fuse # to check (but best to check them all anyhow) :thmsup:

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
EDIT: (Check and if needed) Replace Fuse #21 - IG Meter - then report back to us :thmsup:

·
4,062 Posts
Replace Fuse #21 - IG Meter - then report back to us :thmsup:
It would be quicker to check if the power windows are working if that one fuse controls so much.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The first time I had my Accord console apart to tore out that shift lock solenoid, did it to my last car as well. I don't have kids.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
It would be quicker to check if the power windows are working if that one fuse controls so much.
Very true - he could also easily test the Hazards, wipers, etc. - I suppose it all depends on the person's method choice. I personally like to check my fuses often, anyhow, so to me to take two seconds to pull the fuse isn't a problem and then I know for sure if it's blown or not.

What would be even more beneficial to us is if the OP actually told us what kind of Accord it was (year, engine, trim, etc.)

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
What would be even more beneficial to us is if the OP actually told us what kind of Accord it was (year, engine, trim, etc.)
...oh no, Ben, you're gonna have to earn it!, lol

Very true - he could also easily test the Hazards, wipers, etc. - I suppose it all depends on the person's method choice. I personally like to check my fuses often, anyhow, so to me to take two seconds to pull the fuse isn't a problem and then I know for sure if it's blown or not.
Do you just do a visual or do bring out a meter? I know you run a nice setup and all, but is it preventive maintenance to check fuses even if you do not detect a problem?

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
...oh no, Ben, you're gonna have to earn it!, lol
lol

Do you just do a visual or do bring out a meter? I know you run a nice setup and all, but is it preventive maintenance to check fuses even if you do not detect a problem?
Again, that all depends on how anal of a car maintenance guy you are haha I personally make it a habit every year while doing my "winter prep" to check all of my fuses (both driver foot-well and engine bay) - will some argue this is unnecessary and over the top? Of course! But hey, at least it gives me the peace of mind knowing that all of my fuses are in tip-top shape. It's just like my choice to never let my tank go below 1/4 tank in the winter.

All in all, it takes me < 10 mins to check all my fuses - just pulling them out and doing a visual inspection. If they appear worn, I some times will pull out the meter and double check voltage or may just decide to replace it and move on to the next. I have an entire bin of fuses of all different amps so it's no big deal to me haha :thmsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The car is an 04 accord LX, 4 cylinder, vtec. I tested all the fuses out before I even tried replacing the brake switch. And to the poster that said you wouldn't throw your money at it and try to get it fixed... I understand. I didn't however throw my money at it, I was able to return the part to auto zone because I know someone that works there... Even though, even if I didn't... Its only a 7$ part. No biggie. But, yeah so that rules out everything I think, only leaves me with the solenoid... :( and taking a part the console is a bitch, I hear.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
No, the console is actually very easy to take apart. There's a how-to somewhere on here, or maybe V6P...but I've taken mine apart numerous times and can have the navi/radio unit out in about < 10 minutes now haha

I'm sorry to hear that it isn't something as easy as a fuse - but just to verify - your wipers, hazards, power windows, etc. ARE working, correct?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts