Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
mariona98
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey DriveAccord. Long time lurker, big Accord fan. Ive had a beautiful 2007 EX-L for two years now and love it more than ever. Never have had any large issues because well...Honda. Anyways, So small question for y'all today concerning my new rear tire rotors. I recently switched my old rotors for these duralast gold brand and have seen considerable amount of rusting on the edges. Any ideas of the best way to get rid of it, i mean its not necessarily a huge issue that makes the car unusable, but as car people im sure you all understand!

Picture:

And the mandatory selfie:

and more importantly a clean Accord the a happy Accord:

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
1) Your pics didn't load lol - no help there...

2) Rust on rotors, especially during winter months, is absolutely normal. It's not going to hurt anything, as it's just primarily on the rotor hat and castings and not on the surface, as this is where your brake pads are consistently making contact to provide that braking power.

3) Rust on rotors is only cosmetic...if it bothers you, go with something like this: R1Concepts - 2007 Accord 2Dr Coupe Premium Series Rotors that are coated with black electro-coating to prevent rust and come with a lifetime warranty. Same rotors I have on all 4 corners :thmsup: (that link's for the 2 door coupe - if you own a sedan, just change the model/trim in the search)

G'luck!

·
mariona98
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) boo theyre some awesome pictures too.
2)yea its mainly just edges and nothing on the actual surface.
3) those are gorgeous, but any way to coat it those parts since they arent actually touching the brake pads or is that just a bad idea?

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Oh, an EX-L owner....look how fancy.

You can prep and paint them with hi-temp paint. $5 a can for Rustoleum (based here in Illinois!).

Lots of guys paint the "hat"/hub/outer edges.

Your location is not showing....are you in Hawaii or Portland, ME? Makes a difference on when to paint.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,667 Posts
I just bought these for the front ($125), and already have some on the rear. I guess you could try to remove some of the rust with a steel brush, then maybe spray them with some rust converter (not on the braking surface), if you don't want to buy new rotors right now.

·
mariona98
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha apart from the fancy leather shes just a good and affordable Accord.
I like the idea of the steel brush with rust protector, i have just recently about two weeks ago switched the back rotors actually.
Did go on a recent 300 mile trip to Portland, OR from Seattle,WA in a huge rainstorm which could explain the amount of rust. First time i got her to 100mph. ...shhhh....

·
Banned
694 Posts
You could paint them as Rick suggested. But rotors just rust, there's no real way to 100% stop it.

Super clean EX-L sedan. I'm seeing silver EX-L 7th gens pop up everywhere on the forums all of a sudden. lol

·
mariona98
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I kinda figured there'd be no 100% way.
Thanks! Originally I would have loved a white accord, but upon leaning there isn't black interior with white exterior(anyone know why?) I had to go with my next best one.

·
White on Black AV6-6
100 Posts
Only the Canadians are lucky to get it!
Why? I dunno about the Canadians but for here in the USA white on black leather is only available for Acura products because Honda wants you to spend extra money for what you want, and for what's badass. Just a guess.

I have an aberration.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wow OP! You have such a clean car. Beautiful! Gorgeous! :thmsup: :yes:

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Great to see another Alabaster EX-L pop up, mine is an MT though...As far as your issue, either wire brush the rusted areas and hand paint on a rust converter or live with it...I wouldn't get into spraying because paint will end up on the braking surface...

My experience is the electro-plated rotors look great for a couple of years but they will succumb to rust as well...my wife's Sonata has had E-coated Centric rotors for 3 years now and they are just now starting to look more rusty than dirty black.

And rock on rear discs!

You could paint them as Rick suggested. But rotors just rust, there's no real way to 100% stop it.

Super clean EX-L sedan. I'm seeing silver EX-L 7th gens pop up everywhere on the forums all of a sudden. lol
Don't hate. And never, ever listen to Rick. Just kidding.

·
mariona98
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why? I dunno about the Canadians but for here in the USA white on black leather is only available for Acura products because Honda wants you to spend extra money for what you want, and for what's badass. Just a guess.

I have an aberration.
I guess so. I park right next to a 2005 acura tl and envy their gorgeous white exterior with black leather interior. But not to say I don't like my set up I love it.

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
i mean its not necessarily a huge issue Picture:
but those pics sure are huge....not sure what was in them because i'm to lazy to scroll over to see pics that don't fit on my screen. whatever they were, i'm sure they are pimp.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
but those pics sure are huge....not sure what was in them because i'm to lazy to scroll over to see pics that don't fit on my screen. whatever they were, i'm sure they are pimp.
Weird, my computer/forum interface automatically resizes any large picture to the same size. I can click on the picture to enlarge it.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
... Originally I would have loved a white accord, but upon leaning there isn't black interior with white exterior(anyone know why?) I had to go with my next best one.
Why? I dunno ...
It's all got to do with the superior Metric System ... :lmao:

btw - my Betty is Taffy White, with the all black interior. I love her ...

·
mariona98
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Weird, my computer/forum interface automatically resizes any large picture to the same size. I can click on the picture to enlarge it.

cintocrunch, just checked out your ride and i gutta say im in love with the thing! i see youve got the white tipped back lights, i swear ive only seen them on hybrids. did you switch those out yourself? if so how much did they cost you?

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Yea I kinda figured there'd be no 100% way.
Thanks! Originally I would have loved a white accord, but upon leaning there isn't black interior with white exterior(anyone know why?) I had to go with my next best one.
Ha, that is exactly why I passed up on a white or red one! Love both of them, sharp looking cars, but no black leather? Count me out. ;)

I have an aberration.
Psh. *back hand slap*

+1.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,667 Posts
The pictures are normal size for me. I hate giant pics. Doesn't the forum automatically downsize?

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
cintocrunch, just checked out your ride and i gutta say im in love with the thing! i see youve got the white tipped back lights, i swear ive only seen them on hybrids. did you switch those out yourself? if so how much did they cost you?
Thanks for the compliment, I will admit the 18's look a little off with as much gap as they need but driving in downtown Baltimore for work is like offroading, I need all the suspension travel I can get...

The clear turn signal lensed taillights are from Ebay, I had to get two drivers side and three passenger side taillights before they all fit perfectly (the sharp point that wraps around the side of the car wasn't curve enough and would stick out about 1/8". Also the quality is simply not as nice as the OEM Hybrid taillights.

I still love the look and do not regret it but I am keeping my eyes peeled for a hybrid at a wrecking yard or a set on Ebay that are OEM to make it that little bit better.

Happy According!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts