Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was surfing around and found these

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/orc-5218-001/overview/

and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or something similar? I've got a 2015 Accord Sport and would really love to change out the stock bulbs but I know that the projector is a halogen housing and im afraid of completely ruining the cutoff and having light shoot all over the place. I dont really want to adjust the housing from where it sits now from the factory. HID's are out of the question.

Any info would be appreciated guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
A lot of people go with a TL projector upgrade. I have HIDs in my stock projectors and I can't tell a difference in the output when compared to those with the mod. If you are wanting to go with a LED bulb I would go with a company that is a little more specialized.

Check these out: VLEDS

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
A lot of people go with a TL projector upgrade. I have HIDs in my stock projectors and I can't tell a difference in the output when compared to those with the mod. If you are wanting to go with a LED bulb I would go with a company that is a little more specialized.

You either have extremely bad vision, or you haven't actually compared your HIDs in halogen projectors to HIDs in HID projectors.

To say the two are even slightly similar in terms of output is a blatant lie. A proper HID installation will destroy any and all competition--YES, even LEDs (although some morons think the touring LEDs have better output than the sun). Similarly, putting HIDs in the projector housings isn't going to shoot laser beams in every which direction, like some idiots say, but it also won't produce GREAT results either.

Now, if you throw an HID bulb in a halogen reflector housing you'll definitely blind people.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Grinding Gears
326 Posts
You either have extremely bad vision, or you haven't actually compared your HIDs in halogen projectors to HIDs in HID projectors.

To say the two are even slightly similar in terms of output is a blatant lie. A proper HID installation will destroy any and all competition--YES, even LEDs (although some morons think the touring LEDs have better output than the sun). Similarly, putting HIDs in the projector housings isn't going to shoot laser beams in every which direction, like some idiots say, but it also won't produce GREAT results either.

Now, if you throw an HID bulb in a halogen reflector housing you'll definitely blind people.

As correct as you may be, you sure got them fighting words everywhere in your post lmao

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have the innovited kit in stock projectors and while its not perfect its an acceptable result, snd still an improvement over stock. I plan to retro later but i csn live with this for now.

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
As correct as you may be, you sure got them fighting words everywhere in your post lmao
I'm as cool as a cucumber, I just hate when people post misinformation and mislead others.

If you don't know what you're talking about then don't bother talking at all.

Perfect example:
How often do I post stuff in the performance threads? Never. I know nothing about engines or transmissions. Sure, I'll pop in and read different threads so that I can learn a thing or two here and there. BUT, I don't post in a V6 vs i4 engine thread and say, "My friend has a V6. They have the same amount of power according to what I've seen. The V6 is just a waste of money."

Because (1)-that would be incorrect, and (2)-I'd look like an idiot.

I have the innovited kit in stock projectors and while its not perfect its an acceptable result, snd still an improvement over stock. I plan to retro later but i csn live with this for now.

Wish I could see one of these innovited kits in person. While I've been happy with the reliability and performance of my 4500k DDMs, I'd like to find something with a whiter color. From what I've read, it's pretty much impossible to get a 35w HID bulb to appear white in a halogen projector. Bumping up the wattage to 55 seems to make them appear whiter, as well as brighter, obviously, but I'm not interested in potentially blinding people, or harming my factory wiring.

I, too, would love to do a retrofit; however, it's a very time consuming and unforgiving process. I just have to much "life" to deal with right meow.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
lmao yo for real

Wish I could see one of these innovited kits in person. While I've been happy with the reliability and performance of my 4500k DDMs, I'd like to find something with a whiter color. From what I've read, it's pretty much impossible to get a 35w HID bulb to appear white in a halogen projector. Bumping up the wattage to 55 seems to make them appear whiter, as well as brighter, obviously, but I'm not interested in potentially blinding people, or harming my factory wiring.
get 5000k/5500k bulbs then lol

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
I should've specified--the bulbs I have appear bluish. So buying something with a higher kelvin rating will only make them bluer. I want pure white. No useless blue light.

5000k/5500k is pure white though. It also does depend strongly on the bulb and the performance of the ballasts. My Innovited 5000k bulbs are more like 5500k and the XBs I have in now are more like 5000k than they are 5500k, which is really strange. If your 4500k bulbs look blue, you either have crap bulbs and/or crap ballasts. Then again you mentioned that you're running a DDM kit, which would - theoretically - explain a lot lol.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm as cool as a cucumber, I just hate when people post misinformation and mislead others.

If you don't know what you're talking about then don't bother talking at all.
Whoa, what did I miss!? I guess my life doesn't allow me to troll on DA all day every day. Or maybe I was too busy blinding people with my improperly installed HIDs in my PROJECTOR housing :wink

Come on dude, the difference between the two is minimal at best. It's comparing your TEINs to my BCs and each person will have their opinion. I have never once been flashed, never once been hassled by anybody, and my headlight quality is 10x better than halogen. If you got the time and money to waste on "retrofitting" your headlights so that they look the same exact from a distance as mine than that's all you buddy. But like I implied, my life is probably just a wee bit more important than yours.

And what exactly in my first post was misinformation or misleading?

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts

If you can't tell a difference you've never seen them in person. Probably one of the best upgrades for our Accord's out there for anyone who drives at night. It's a huge safety increase if you drive through rural areas being able to actually see what's on your left/right side, not just what's down the road.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you can't tell a difference you've never seen them in person. Probably one of the best upgrades for our Accord's out there for anyone who drives at night. It's a huge safety increase if you drive through rural areas being able to actually see what's on your left/right side, not just what's down the road.
I'm saying it's minimal at best, not worth my time or money to do it. May it be worth other peoples time to get it done perfectly? Sure, nothing wrong with that. But I have a very good kit in my car from Diode Dynamics and the output is great. I drive on very hairy mountain passes quite frequently throughout the summer often times late at night or early mornings, I can tell you first hand the difference between what I have now compared to stock is 10x as good.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
I'm saying it's minimal at best, not worth my time or money to do it. May it be worth other peoples time to get it done perfectly? Sure, nothing wrong with that. But I have a very good kit in my car from Diode Dynamics and the output is great. I drive on very hairy mountain passes quite frequently throughout the summer often times late at night or early mornings, I can tell you first hand the difference between what I have now compared to stock is 10x as good.
Minimal? It's night and day, literally. Not only do you get a much wider beam pattern, there is more light thrown under it.

A good kit? What does that even mean? You're taking a LED on a stick and placing it in a halogen projector. A good kit would use OEM HID projectors with OEM grade bulbs. Why pay that much to go half ass when you can go all the way?

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
Even in the picture they have in a HID projector you can tell it's gonna have a ton of foreground lighting. It uses the light inefficiently, the HID in this photo looks much better. Not good.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Putting HIDs in a halogen projector may not be that horrible, and to the untrained eye, can seem like a huge upgrade over halogens. However, what people tend to ignore is the ridiculous amount of foreground light that results from installing HIDs in a halogen projector. A lot of people look at that and say "Wow, my lights are so much brighter!", but what they don't realize is that all that light right in front of the car actually hinders their distance vision. What little bit of extra light that's projected down the road is completely defeated by the driver's pupils being constricted because of the overly bright foreground. It also causes eyestrain and fatigue over the course of a night drive. The 4300K bulbs I had were so bright that I would get a headache after about 15 minutes of driving.

Also, while there may not be laser beams of glare shooting out from the projectors in every direction, the amount of light above the cutoff from the "squirrel spotters" is magnified greatly with HIDs. The halogen projectors are designed to shoot a little bit of light above the cutoff to illuminate street signs and such, but their optics are not designed to handle xenon capsules. The result is an absurd amount of light above the cutoff that creates the glare people talk about. Whereas the squirrel spotters are hardly noticeable to other drivers with halogen bulbs, they become a problem when HIDs are installed due to the magnitude of the light they project. From my first-hand experience, HIDs project so much light upwards in our halogen projectors, that the squirrel spotters will illuminate the interiors of other cars and/or shine right into their sideview mirrors when following a certain distance. I was recently followed by an Accord coupe with plug and plays and their lights were illuminating my headliner just from the squirrel spotters. Thank goodness for my autodimming rearview mirror is all I have to say. That's why they say to lower your headlight aim when you install an HID kit in order to reduce glare for other drivers.

Still, all that said, HIDs in a halogen projector are nowhere near as offensive as they are in a halogen reflector. A Toyota Yaris with HIDs blinded me in broad daylight with their ridiculous glare just the other day. I can only imagine how horrible it would've been at night. Then again, the new Corolla with factory LED low beams isn't much better, but that's more of a headlight aim issue than anything else, as the Corolla's LED projectors are actually quite good.

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
Whoa, what did I miss!? I guess my life doesn't allow me to troll on DA all day every day. Or maybe I was too busy blinding people with my improperly installed HIDs in my PROJECTOR housing :wink

Come on dude, the difference between the two is minimal at best. It's comparing your TEINs to my BCs and each person will have their opinion. I have never once been flashed, never once been hassled by anybody, and my headlight quality is 10x better than halogen. If you got the time and money to waste on "retrofitting" your headlights so that they look the same exact from a distance as mine than that's all you buddy. But like I implied, my life is probably just a wee bit more important than yours.

And what exactly in my first post was misinformation or misleading?

How am I trolling, by pointing out that you're spreading false information? Reflector housings and projector housings are completely different. I said that putting an HID in a HALOGEN PROJECTOR WILL NOT throw misdirected light into oncoming traffic, but a HALOGEN REFLECTOR will. Similarly, I never said you've been flashed--or that you will be flashed. I'm not sure why you're sourcing that information. Your headlight quality is not 10x better with an HID bulb as opposed to a halogen bulb either. (More misinformation)

I also don't know what you mean by: "If you got the time and money to waste on "retrofitting" your headlights so that they look the same exact from a distance as mine than that's all you buddy."

Seriously, what does that mean?

I'll try to entertain the statement as effectively as possible, though I don't really know what you're eluding to. A proper retrofit (HID bulb in an HID projector) provides much better light output than an HID bulb in a halogen projector. It's a fact. Halogen bulbs have a filament. HIDs don't. They're two completely different technologies, and, as a result, require different components to achieve optimal results. So, if I did have the time to perform a retrofit, my light output would be much better than an HID in a halogen projector--so there is no "...so that they look the same exact from a distance as mine..."

If you still don't understand what part of your original post contains misinformation, refer to my response (which I'm assuming you already read, since you responded....I guess you just couldn't comprehend it).

And yes, I'm sure your life is much more important than mine. I'm not really sure how one defines "life importance," but I'm willing to assume you're correct about that assumption.

You run DDM Tuning HIDs in your car and you are trolling on me? That about says it all.

Again, I don't think you quite understand the concept of trolling. I bought the DDM's on a whim 3 years ago. It just so happens that they're still working perfectly. Haha! I never would have thought they'd last 3 years, but they did, and for $40 I couldn't be happier ($32 with my discount). So I'm not going to go buy expensive bulbs from somewhere like TRS, when I don't even have a proper HID projector installed. That would be equivalent to buying a 2000 civic and putting $10,000 BBS wheels on it. It just wouldn't be logical.

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
5000k/5500k is pure white though. It also does depend strongly on the bulb and the performance of the ballasts. My Innovited 5000k bulbs are more like 5500k and the XBs I have in now are more like 5000k than they are 5500k, which is really strange. If your 4500k bulbs look blue, you either have crap bulbs and/or crap ballasts. Then again you mentioned that you're running a DDM kit, which would - theoretically - explain a lot lol.

Per the actual Kelvin Color Temperature Scale, 4300-5000k provides the best lighting conditions, with the former providing the most usable light (although it could have a yellowish tinge). That's why most automakers use 4300-4500k bulbs. I was curious about seeing the Innovited bulbs until you said that yours are bluer than they should be as well. I've seen thousands of cars with Ill-fitted HID bulbs (whether in halogen projectors, or reflectors) and they all have one thing in common: the color blue. And I highly doubt that's because everyone using aftermarket HIDs is installing 5000-6500k bulbs. I've also noticed that the bluish tint seems to be more prevalent in 35w bulbs, as well. I have seen some 55w applications that appear to be ALMOST 4300-4500k, but they still look somewhat blue to me. It seems the only way to get ideal light output from an HID is by installing it in a proper HID projector. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Putting HIDs in a halogen projector may not be that horrible, and to the untrained eye, can seem like a huge upgrade over halogens. However, what people tend to ignore is the ridiculous amount of foreground light that results from installing HIDs in a halogen projector. A lot of people look at that and say "Wow, my lights are so much brighter!", but what they don't realize is that all that light right in front of the car actually hinders their distance vision. What little bit of extra light that's projected down the road is completely defeated by the driver's pupils being constricted because of the overly bright foreground. It also causes eyestrain and fatigue over the course of a night drive. The 4300K bulbs I had were so bright that I would get a headache after about 15 minutes of driving.

Also, while there may not be laser beams of glare shooting out from the projectors in every direction, the amount of light above the cutoff from the "squirrel spotters" is magnified greatly with HIDs. The halogen projectors are designed to shoot a little bit of light above the cutoff to illuminate street signs and such, but their optics are not designed to handle xenon capsules. The result is an absurd amount of light above the cutoff that creates the glare people talk about. Whereas the squirrel spotters are hardly noticeable to other drivers with halogen bulbs, they become a problem when HIDs are installed due to the magnitude of the light they project. From my first-hand experience, HIDs project so much light upwards in our halogen projectors, that the squirrel spotters will illuminate the interiors of other cars and/or shine right into their sideview mirrors when following a certain distance. I was recently followed by an Accord coupe with plug and plays and their lights were illuminating my headliner just from the squirrel spotters. Thank goodness for my autodimming rearview mirror is all I have to say. That's why they say to lower your headlight aim when you install an HID kit in order to reduce glare for other drivers.

Still, all that said, HIDs in a halogen projector are nowhere near as offensive as they are in a halogen reflector. A Toyota Yaris with HIDs blinded me in broad daylight with their ridiculous glare just the other day. I can only imagine how horrible it would've been at night. Then again, the new Corolla with factory LED low beams isn't much better, but that's more of a headlight aim issue than anything else, as the Corolla's LED projectors are actually quite good.

Couldn't agree with you more. The "squirrel spotters" as you've termed them, were the first thing I noticed when I installed HIDs. I have my headlights aimed almost as low as they can go because of this. The foreground lighting is definitely annoying now that I'm living in Florida where the roads are completely flat, and well taken care of; however, I actually enjoyed the foreground lighting and found it beneficial when I lived in Pennsylvania, where there's nothing but mountainous terrain and potholes EVERYWHERE.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
...I actually enjoyed the foreground lighting and found it beneficial when I lived in Pennsylvania, where there's nothing but mountainous terrain and potholes EVERYWHERE.
What you've said indicates to me that you don't understand the effect of over-bright foreground lighting. The over-bright foreground goes somewhere between 5-40ft or so in front of you. By the time you see a pothole in your overbright foreground lighting, say going at 35mph, you have less than a second to respond, since you'd be traveling 51 ft/s.

It makes more sense to have proper light distribution so you can see the potholes further away rather than having to wait until the last second and make emergency maneuvers to avoid them. Either way you should have plenty of light in front of you to notice a pothole if one were to magically appear, whether it be OEM halogen, OEM HID, or OEM LED.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm not here to argue with anyone but let me say this... I've recently installed the Innovited hid kit and I've been pleasantly surprised with the results. I actually expected to pull them out after testing them, and waiting until I'm ready to retro the projectors to install- I still plan to do this retro.

That said, while it's certainly not a perfect cutoff it is a very acceptable result. I've walked and driven by my car with the lights on, and there's no real offensive glare. My gf's Corolla is far worse. I get that the argument of "my lights aren't as bad as really bad lights" isn't the most credible. Like I said, this has produced a very acceptable temporary result.

Is there a bit of bleed above the cutoff? Yes. Is there the light output a bit unbalanced toward foreground lighting instead of in the distance? Yes, but it's still better light than stock. This whole "without retrofitting the projectors, you'll get worse than stoc visibility" argument is total nonsense WITH THIS CAR. I understand and appreciate the argument the purists are trying to make, but it's not entirely accurate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts