Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1999 Honda Accord LX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys put GM synchromesh on your 7th gen 5mt? Ive search but all i see is older hondas and acuras,v 6 accords and 6 speed trannys but nothing on 5mt from our 7th gen...

·
Registered
523 Posts
I use Amsoil, but I've always been curious about the GM Syncromesh since so many on this forum give it great reviews.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have any of you guys put GM synchromesh on your 7th gen 5mt? Ive search but all i see is older hondas and acuras,v 6 accords and 6 speed trannys but nothing on 5mt from our 7th gen...
I put GM syncromesh in my 03 5mt and it was way better then it was before. Not sure if that was due to age of fluid or type of fluid but it is much better. All my shifting issues now are related to shitty motor mounts.

·
Registered
631 Posts
It is GM synchromesh...

I think you should find it at any GM dealer!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
..there are two.........

Perfefct and anybody where i can find it? Chevy dealer? Autozone?
...GM SynchroMesh FRICTION MODIFIED is the one you want.

I put the FM Goo in about 68,000 miles ago. No 3rd gear hesitation. Ever.

ez

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If you did enough reading you might have noticed that many 6 speed owners were using the GM fluid to resolve a 3rd gear synchro problem. It worked perfectly for me and a number of other owners like eazyshift5. My best guess is that the friction modifiers or some other component of the GM fluid helps with the synchro's. Even though I'm a fan of the GM fluid I don't think it will provide any benefit if you are not having problems with weak or worn synchro's.

You sure can. I recently put it in mine and it does make a noticeable difference.
I put GM syncromesh in my 03 5mt and it was way better then it was before. Not sure if that was due to age of fluid or type of fluid but it is much better. All my shifting issues now are related to shitty motor mounts.
I would guess that putting most any proper spec new trans fluid in a high mileage car (probably anything over 100,000 mi) would make it feel better!
I put the GM fluid in my car 10-2007 replacing fluid that only had about 10,000 miles on it. Outside of curing my 3rd gear synchro issue it had no other effect on my transmission. My trans shifted exactly the same - just no 3rd gear glitch.

...GM SynchroMesh FRICTION MODIFIED is the one you want.

I put the FM Goo in about 68,000 miles ago. No 3rd gear hesitation. Ever.

ez
And don't forget it's been re-branded as AC Delco now. There are probably very few places that still have it under the GM brand name.

In summary, if you're not having any problem attributable to your synchro's don't expect the GM/Delco fluid to miraculously improve your transmission. You're likely to be just as well off using the Honda fluid or a good synthetic in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Is that the latest version? I recall calling the dealer and mention friction modifier they stop caring it..
So sad to hear that dealers stopped caring. :) All jokes aside that's the right stuff. There isn't any new or latest version. It's the same stuff just relabeled as AC Delco

·
Registered
310 Posts
So sad to hear that dealers stopped caring. :) All jokes aside that's the right stuff. There isn't any new or latest version. It's the same stuff just relabeled as AC Delco
There is a lastest version. I remember I posted about this in a thread awhile back. I need to dig it up.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
There is a lastest version. I remember I posted about this in a thread awhile back. I need to dig it up.
Maybe we're just not understanding each other. The AC Delco friction modified fluid 88900399 is nothing new or improved. It's the same as the GM brand fluid I put in my car in 2007. It's just relabeled. If you want to compare the ingredients here's an old post showing the back of the GM bottle.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=223455&postcount=69

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I used pennzoil synchromesh in the yellow bottle after my 3rd gear issues with honda MTF. Not ONE problem yet. It works and you can get it at utozone, advance etc for $8 a quart.

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,325 Posts
Is that the latest version? I recall calling the dealer and mention friction modifier they stop caring it..
Yes, this is the latest and is the fluid in my transmission at the moment. It is friction modified.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts