Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Call me Nego
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for some new high beams for my 03 Accord. I am looking for something that is not too expensive. I don't want to pay over $50 for a set a bulbs. I know that I need the 9005 connection and I want bulbs that are pretty bright. I tried searching around, but every white bulb I have found is either out of my price range or has terrible reviews.

I want nice white halogen high beams that would be similar in color to a stock 4300k or 5000k Xenon bulb.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts
I picked up a set of "Euro Light" brand 9005's a few months back at my local Canadian Tire ... Only cost $30 for the set and I'm very happy.

The shift manager who opened the case to get them out for me told me that everyone in his Subbie car club had switched over to them because they're a really nice colour output, very decent life, and very affordable price. There's no yellow to my DRL's anymore, and they do put out a very nice white when in high beam ...

They have a very light blue tint to them, which you can see more at the tip of the bulb glass than anything;

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
If you ask that here, you will get as many different opinions as you get answers. I would look on a bonafide illumination website to guide your decision making. Candlepowerforums comes to mind, but there are others as well.

Generally, you'll want to know which 9005's have the most "lumens" - and you'll find in your research that it isn't the ones that are "hyperwhite", "cool blue" etc.

Good luck!

·
Call me Nego
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@bobbo I am having some trouble finding these "Euro Light" bulbs from searches on the internet. Do you know if they have a website or a picture of the case they come in?

@Ryan_W I am aware that blue or white lights may not be as bright as the more yellow shaded halogen bulbs, but I am looking for something that would fit well if I were to upgrade to HID low beams.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts
@bobbo I am having some trouble finding these "Euro Light" bulbs from searches on the internet. Do you know if they have a website or a picture of the case they come in?
Sorry mate - it's actually "Eurolite", I have the 9005's without the caps ... I want to say the DP's, but honestly don't remember, I bought them back in September.

http://www.autoaccessorysite.com/lighting/eurolite/headlight_bulbs.htm

*these may not be the absolute best (and I'm not claiming that at all), but for the price they're pretty damn good. I can buy 4 sets of these, or one set of NXT's or Nitehawks, and they'll all burn out around the same time.

·
Call me Nego
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I appreciate the suggestion and the link. If anybody has anything else to offer, please let me know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Look into HIRs.
I first installed HIRs on my dad's 04 4Runner and its the next best thing
to doing a retro-fit. I bought Philips HIRs for my low beams and it increased the brightness. They are worth the price.
Try them:

·
Registered
204 Posts
did you see anything about the 9012 hir's during your search? i never had em but thats also an option you could look into.

·
07 Honda Accord EX-L V6
283 Posts
ive had the philips HIR's before i went HID's. they were considerably brighter and whiter than the stock 9006. priced well and works great. avail from amazon too !

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
830 Posts
Phillips crystal vision. Check amazon. Get both low and high.

·
Call me Nego
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm looking for my high beam lights which are 9005 so I would need to get the HIR 9011 correct?
I also did some research and found that the plastic base needs to be modified to fit into the car.
http://shnu.us/HIR Trimming Stock.htm

This is the bulb that I am considering:

It is a phillips HIR like you suggested.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm looking for my high beam lights which are 9005 so I would need to get the HIR 9011 correct?
I also did some research and found that the plastic base needs to be modified to fit into the car.
http://shnu.us/HIR Trimming Stock.htm

This is the bulb that I am considering: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9012-Standard-Halogen-Headlight/dp/B00480J5CW/?tag=5336653526-20

It is a phillips HIR like you suggested.
Yes. The plastic trim bases need to be modified. This can be accomplished by clipping off the plastic with pliers or using a metal file.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I run high beam bulbs in my low beams, pretty happy. Had to clip the little piece to make it work.
Interesting... Do you have any pictures of the light output? I'm curious to see how bright that is.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Auto Guide.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
I've used Nokya bulbs, the OEM brightness is just a little whiter, enough to make my wife's car look like it has HIDs compared to the standard halogen fog lights. Light output isn't any better but there's only so much you can do with a poorly designed light fixture.

·
Call me Nego
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I run high beam bulbs in my low beams, pretty happy. Had to clip the little piece to make it work.
Interesting... Do you have any pictures of the light output? I'm curious to see how bright that is.
I would like to see what that looks like as well. Sounds like an interesting idea.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I would like to see what that looks like as well. Sounds like an interesting idea.
Assuming that they run at the same intensity a "high beam" bulb would.

·
EX V6 6spd
133 Posts
It is an actual high beam light so i think they do? Unless the output is determined by the wires going to the bulbs?
I guess i could get a picture one of these nights but after i installed them i could def tell it was brighter.
Easy and cheap to try. Just knock the little tab and plug it in.
I also put some tape around it so it doesn't wiggle out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts