Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a great deal on a 03 EX with 66000 miles. In mint condition in may ways.

Any opions on first transmission service? It has all TSB's installed including the 2nd geat oil jet. SHould I use Honda fluid or got with something more premium? Also where do I find all the parts as a set for the filter? Want to make sure I have everyitng my mechanic needs plus some info on the secret filter and basic detail for him.

·
RoopsPhoto.com
218 Posts
Change transmission fluid 3x over the course of a month. Go with Honda ATF only. Dont over-complicate things.

Change your oil. Other than that, I'd just inspect everything fully and change as necessary. Don't try to over-change everything. Check your air filter. If dirt, replace. Check cabin air filter. If dirty, replace. Check condition of spark plugs. If they are still good, wait until the recommended 105k miles.

These cars are wonderful cars. I bought my car with 96k miles. I checked everything, and they all checked out good. I am waiting until my 105k miles to change what is needed.

·
Registered
841 Posts
professorman said it right. follow his advice and enjoy the car. congradulations

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
In addition to professorman's advice you probably should change the transmission filter as well. There are plenty of threads where you can get the details on the filter.

Lastly, you might want to consider changing the 3 & 4th gear pressure switches (or solenoids). Again there are plenty of threads where you can read about them so you can decide if you think it's worthwhile.

The 03 V6 automatics are a little bit of a crapshoot. They were all subject to the trans recall. Some seem perfectly fine and present no problems and others blow. My wife's 03 had the oil jet installed per the recall and her trans blew suddenly and rather unsafely at 62,000 miles. Hopefully you got a good one and you'll get years of enjoyment from your mint Accord.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I use type F trans fluid in my accord. supertech brand.

Moderator's Note: member "chris918" is being sarcastic- and is close to getting flagged for this. Do not use "type F" fluid in your automatic transmission. That is an automatic transmission fluid made for Ford transmissions. If you use type F in your Accord, it will be destroyed quickly.

In fact, if you have a Ford, you probably have bigger problems.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
You have an old Ford transmission in your Accord?

Super Tech Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F - Walmart.com

About this item

Super Tech Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F is a premium quality automatic transmission fluid formulated to provide excellent performance in Ford Motor Company automatic transmissions built prior to 1977 and certain models for years 1977 through 1980.

·
RoopsPhoto.com
218 Posts
You can be the Guinea Pig with this one, but anyone else, PLEASE do not use anything other than Honda OEM transmission fluid. We bought Honda for being great Hondas. The tranny have some issues, so do it a favor by using Honda OEM ATF fluid.

You have an old Ford transmission in your Accord?

Super Tech Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F - Walmart.com

About this item

Super Tech Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F is a premium quality automatic transmission fluid formulated to provide excellent performance in Ford Motor Company automatic transmissions built prior to 1977 and certain models for years 1977 through 1980.
it loves it. shifts like butter

·
Registered
5,335 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
dude. i'm just messing around.

of course nothing touches my transmission except OEM DW-1 fluid.

·
RoopsPhoto.com
218 Posts
dude. i'm just messing around.

of course nothing touches my transmission except OEM DW-1 fluid.
:nerd lmao.... sarcasm doesnt work well on the internet. lmao... I just didnt want someone reading, come across this tread, and go ruin their car. :grin

·
Roll Tide!
7,656 Posts
that's some serious trollin' or you have no idea what you are talking about. either way, i hope someone else doesn't come along and pour that crap in their honda. carry on.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I wish someone would do a trial and error with a honda transmission and different fluids, kind of like the people on youtube who destroy things and record it lol.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
Post pics of it. That's some pretty low mileage. Be sure to change the timing belt/water pump as it's now 12 years old. I'd change all the fluids, check the pads/rotors as well.

The 2nd gear oil jet kit recall is to prevent 2nd gear from seizing up and locking the wheels while you are driving at 70mph. The 3rd gear clutch pack failure has no TSB, or recall. Honda left us out to dry with that one.

Change the fluid 3x3 with DW1, change the trans filter, and 3rd, and 4th gear pressure switches. That's all you can do really.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
I wish someone would do a trial and error with a honda transmission and different fluids, kind of like the people on youtube who destroy things and record it lol.
If I had the means, I would would carry this flag ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I did the 3x3 change, and am having some issues that are being discussed in a different thread. I am hopeful they are minor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on my Accord. Had to replace the transmission. Problems started after the 3x3 fluid replacement. It was probably dying and seemed to be healthy because of the contaminated transmission fluid that had never been changed.

Good news is I got a transmission for the car that has significant upgraded parts from news Honda transmissions (biggie is torque converter) as well as some other nice changes related to making sure there is plenty of fluid pressure. The seller paid for part of the replacement and also reimbursed me for the steering pump which was having some problems.

While the transmission was being serviced I also upgraded the sway bars, replaced the timing belt, serpentine belt and steering pump. The sway bars are a huge upgrade in my opinion. I used an Acura sway bar for the front and a Neuspeed for the back.

Nice car, I am happy with it. Thanks for all the great advice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts