Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just want to know what brand you guys prefer if any. I am going to get my trans fluids replaced today and I don't know what to purchase. Trying to get this done the sooner the better so any help would be appreciated. also how many quarts would I need

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,684 Posts
I know the V6 uses a little over 3 quarts for one drain and fill. I use Honda DW-1 fluid. What does the fluid look like now? How long/miles has it been in there? Need more information.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
A change is just over 3 quarts, but of course that does not remove all the transmission fluid, so the recommended procedure is to change the fluid 3 times, driving the car between changes.

Here is the link to good write up on changing Transmission fluid

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14714

The original fluid was Honda ATF-Z1, but that has been replaced by Honda ATF-DW1

Other Transmission fluids that have Honda capability
Castrol Transmax Import Multi vehicle
Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is at about 114k miles and to be honest I don't think the last owner did his regulat maintenance so I wouldn't be suprised if it is still the original fluid lol. And as far as the color well...I'm lowkey colorblind so I'm not the best judge. Thanks everyone for the quick and detailed messages

I'm thinking about just taking the fluid to jiffy lube and havr them do it with their machine. What do you think. I live on a naval base I don't think I can work on my car in there

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
I'm thinking about just taking the fluid to jiffy lube and havr them do it with their machine. What do you think. I live on a naval base I don't think I can work on my car in there
DO NOT GO TO JIFFY LUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it yourself (easier than an oil change, really), or go to an independent shop to do 3 drain and fills. NEVER use a machine, Drew. NEVER.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/s...ighlight=rickblaine+transmission+fluid+change

Just remembered you have an automatic transmission and a V6...according to our owner's manual, to change you will need 3.1 quarts. Your total capacity is 7.6 quarts. You can plug those numbers in and see that you should do 3 drain and fills.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dayum I just finished reading that. That ****s man sorry to hear it. Alright I'll see what I can do I hear rumors of a hobby shop around here. I just need jacks I guess because I can't get under my car.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
The 4 cylinder's drain bolt is easily accessible WITHOUT the need for jack stands! How about the V6 engine? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
840 Posts
The drain bolt on the V6 is in the same spot as the picture above

Places like Jiffy Lube dont use OEM fluid, and using a flush machine on these cars is more difficult because there are no transmission cooler lines on the radiator, which is where the machine gets connected to

Its a pretty easy DIY. I only drove a few miles between drain and fills. Some people like to do more

The dipstick tube on the V6 is pretty small in diameter and a transmission funnel may not fit. I use an old gear oil cap as a second "funnel" that fits right in the tube

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
To gain a little more clearance under the car pull one side of the car up on the curb and that should give you all the room you need to get to the drain bolt, only tools needed is a 3/8 ratchet and 10 quarts of fluid and a long funnel, if the fluid has never been changed then the 3 fill and drain will replace almost all the fluid.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice ok cool I just found the hobby shop after driving around a little bit and they have lifts and tools and places to drain your fluid. Gotta say I'm looking forward to this since it will be the first time I've worked on ot myself. I got 10qts of that castrol you mentioned above and it only came out to 60...a lot better than the 150 jiffy wanted to charge.

I also read about changing the pressure switches for the 3rd and 4th gear. As far as the replacement part goes does the higher psi rating mean its a higher quality product?

·
Roll Tide!
6,793 Posts
Get your DW-1 from CurryAcuraParts.com . About as cheap as you can get and it comes with fast and free shipping.

You can do this in your driveway and it's actually easier than changing the oil and filter. Get a 5 gal HomeDepot or Walmart paint bucket with a lid to pour all your used oil into. When its full, take to to your local parts joint or Walmart to recycle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well if you guys think OEM fluid would make a big difference from the castrol import fluid mentioned earlier i could return it and order the OEM. what are your thoughts? and any imput on my question about the gear switches or sensor i forgot which it is.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic ATF with no issues. You should also change the filter if it's a 4 cyl, since it's easy. Filter located on top of tranny behind air box.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea I was thinking about that but I have a V6. Are you saying mine doesn't have to be changed or just at a different time?

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
yea I was thinking about that but I have a V6. Are you saying mine doesn't have to be changed or just at a different time?
V6 tranny filter is harder to replace, but yes it should be changed. Along with 3X drain & fill.

·
Roll Tide!
6,793 Posts
well if you guys think OEM fluid would make a big difference from the castrol import fluid mentioned earlier i could return it and order the OEM. what are your thoughts? and any imput on my question about the gear switches or sensor i forgot which it is.
I don't know if one of the fluids is better than the other. my guess is cleaner and fresher is all that matters provided the fluid you use meets the specs honda wants. I just threw it out the source incase you hadn't bought it already (I missed that you did).

I haven't done the switches yet since I'm only knocking on 49K miles so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
makes sense. I'm gonna try and knock it out tomorrow morning and see what happens. hopefully it will feel much smoother.
thanks for all the info that goes for everyone that replied. After I do this and probably the switches It will finally be mod time (sway bars or intake are coming first).
:nuts:

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,684 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts