Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m just cruising along, about to get off at my exit in the far right lane when I heard a loud bang. Next thing I know, I’m fishtailing across 4 lanes of traffic into the center of the highway. It really happened in slow motion like in the movies. It’s a miracle that no other oncoming traffic hit me. I am beyond pissed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
wow. questions. did the truck stop? does the car drive straight? Are you OK (not lowest priority, but i forget there's a person in the car sometimes)

Take it for an alignment ASAP. Looks like you got really lucky given the circumstances, like REALLY lucky.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Glad that you are okay- getting hit on the highway by a semi could have been a lot worse.

I would be furious too if my new car got hit that way too. Hopefully the repair won't be too time consuming and you're able to get your car back without too much hassle.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah he stopped. I ended up on the left side of the highway, he pulled over on the right side so I didn’t get to talk to him because of the 4 lanes of traffic dividing us. I’m ok, but yeah really lucky. I’m glad the car didn’t flip, because I was sideways for a while. The truck driver was on my left, and I was about to get off at my exit and I ended up all the way on the left side of the highway by the time the car stopped.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah he stopped. I ended up on the left side of the highway, he pulled over on the right side so I didn’t get to talk to him because of the 4 lanes of traffic dividing us. I’m ok, but yeah really lucky. I’m glad the car didn’t flip, because I was sideways for a while. The truck driver was on my left, and I was about to get off at my exit and I ended up all the way on the left side of the highway by the time the car stopped.

What you describe here is the #1 reason why I won't buy an SUV. Based on what you describe, my guess is that most SUVs would have flipped while your Accord stayed planted on the ground. Too often I see SUVs flipped on their sides in even low speed accidents.

My 2016 Accord was t-boned at an intersection last year- and I am very grateful that my son and I were in an Accord vs a CRV or Pilot. Either of those would have likely flipped and my son and I could have suffered injuries that were far worse than the soreness that we experienced in the Accord.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, a SUV definitely would have flipped a few times. I’m surprised at how planted to the ground the car was. I was doing about 70mph, and it was a lot of traffic, so for the other cars in the other lanes to avoid me was a miracle.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The Accord is a very solid feeling vehicle overall. I took a hard hit from behind in my 2014 and aside from whiplash, shoulder pain, 5 seconds of absolute terror and a lifetime of paranoia looking in the rearview for the next big hit, we were very lucky.

·
VCM DELETE
789 Posts
Judging by your Avitar you are in the Atlanta Area. I cant understand how that city has so much traffic,
Even at like 10pm the main Artery (interstate 75) is all jam packed with cars. I never understood how Atlanta traffic is so bad. I easily saw 2-3 separate accidents in a 10 mile stretch coming thru there on our way back up north from FL. Be glad you are ok, and that you didnt flip or get seriously injured. Semi trucks are like getting hit by a train.

We frequently drive through there on our way to FL but have since taken "longer way" around due to that crazy driving there. (VIA South Carolina into Jacksonville down 95)

Reactions: NoEgo

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It doesn't take much to flip an SUV, even a panic braking with absolutely no outside influence can roll them over. I often wonder how they are even on the market. I use my crv for towing around town and generally a winter beater mountain goat, which it's brilliant at. Highway not so much.

Reactions: enne

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
543 Posts
Glad you're okay, surely that was a traumatic experience.
The potential for flipping is a good point- I was thinking about getting a CR-V for a family vehicle in a few more years, but since my boyfriend and I have only ever driven sedans, we might stick with them. Even something like a last minute swerve can be enough to flip some SUV's, and that concerns me.

Where are you going from here? Is your insurance going to repair it? Given the situation, the damage doesn't look too bad from the photos, so I'd be surprised if they didn't.

·
cvt - NOT
1,197 Posts
So I’m just cruising along, about to get off at my exit in the far right lane when I heard a loud bang. Next thing I know, I’m fishtailing across 4 lanes of traffic into the center of the highway. It really happened in slow motion like in the movies. It’s a miracle that no other oncoming traffic hit me. I am beyond pissed!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang....sounds like a blind spot related hit. Be happy you aren't dead or severely injured. Give yourself time to get your head and emotions together. Let the insurance process unfold, then decide if you want to keep or trade the car.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Insurance will probably put a new bumper cover, and the body shop will clean up the old one and sell privately. The sheet metal looks like it could be pushed out and the crease sorted out by PDR. I don't see any scratches on the wheel or anything else. Don't see any airbags. Ez fix, but someone will hear from their boss to be more careful when bottling apple juice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Insurance will probably put a new bumper cover, and the body shop will clean up the old one and sell privately. The sheet metal looks like it could be pushed out and the crease sorted out by PDR. I don't see any scratches on the wheel or anything else. Don't see any airbags. Ez fix, but someone will hear from their boss to be more careful when bottling apple juice.
You don’t see any scratches on the wheel??? The rear taillight is cracked also, so I’m sure they should take care of everything. I filed the incident report through the insurance app while I was there and uploaded pictures also. We shall see.

·
Super Clean
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
53 Posts
I would be asking 4 new tires also. Might have flat spots from that spin out. It’s a new car so be sure to ask for genuine Honda parts and make sure it’s perfect. Don’t forget to get you deprecated value check also from the insurance company. You will take a hit on your resale value.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum Pearl White 2.0 Sport 6MT
133 Posts
So I’m just cruising along, about to get off at my exit in the far right lane when I heard a loud bang. Next thing I know, I’m fishtailing across 4 lanes of traffic into the center of the highway. It really happened in slow motion like in the movies. It’s a miracle that no other oncoming traffic hit me. I am beyond pissed!!!

Totally know what you mean by the slow motion. I hit a deer years ago, and I remember seeing it with it's tongue out, leaving a line of drool on my windshield as it flipped over my car lol. Glad to hear that no one was injured.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That sucks...glad you're OK.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The last thing I’d worry about is what happens to my car in an accident like this! Glad you’re safe from the incident! It’s definitely a miracle if you’re not injured at all.

With that said, I hope you got the insurance info from the semi driver. Did you call the cops? I’d also file a police report in an accident like this. Besides that, definitely get it professionally repaired like everyone else suggested.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The last thing I’d worry about is what happens to my car in an accident like this! Glad you’re safe from the incident! It’s definitely a miracle if you’re not injured at all.

With that said, I hope you got the insurance info from the semi driver. Did you call the cops? I’d also file a police report in an accident like this. Besides that, definitely get it professionally repaired like everyone else suggested.
My car ended up in the grassy median that divides the highway on the left and the truck driver pulled over on the right side of the highway so we didn’t get to communicate because there was 4 lanes of traffic dividing us. The police officer said the info will be on the police report though so I gotta wait a few days for it. I just talked to progressive and I was trying to get it fixed at the Honda dealer, but they don’t have a collision center so I might have to go with who they use.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You don’t see any scratches on the wheel??? The rear taillight is cracked also, so I’m sure they should take care of everything. I filed the incident report through the insurance app while I was there and uploaded pictures also. We shall see.
Ah yes, I see them now. Don't worry about getting it fixed at the dealership, most don't do bodywork or paint anyway. They are only useful for access to proprietary tools and software. Insurance uses the best body shops in town from what I've seen, let them deal with it. Might get a new wheel bearing as the basic bearings used in these little passenger cars aren't designed for lateral forces. But then again it's not an open discussion, you won't be asked for your opinion. Just let them deal with it, you enjoy your rental and be happy you walked away with a story to tell.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T
162 Posts
Terrible. Sorry it happened to you and glad you are okay. That being said. Get the car checked ASAP for any frame damage. If they find any. Persist the insurance will deem it as salvage. The car is never EVER the same with frame damage. Don’t let them tell you differently. It’s not safe especially if you got in another one. My guess is you have damage. It was hit by a big ass heavy semi.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts