Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Clean
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
54 Posts
Ah yes, I see them now. Don't worry about getting it fixed at the dealership, most don't do bodywork or paint anyway. They are only useful for access to proprietary tools and software. Insurance uses the best body shops in town from what I've seen, let them deal with it. Might get a new wheel bearing as the basic bearings used in these little passenger cars aren't designed for lateral forces. But then again it's not an open discussion, you won't be asked for your opinion. Just let them deal with it, you enjoy your rental and be happy you walked away with a story to tell.
Insurance companies are not on your side. They are in it to make money. You do have to make sure things are done correctly as it is your car and they just want it fixed. Usually to the lowest bidder. The claim adjuster will evaluate the car and so will the body shop.
Do yourself a huge favor and see what body shops they offer and then look them up in the BBB. They should give you a couple choices. Choose the one with the best review.

Reactions: 2012AccordATL

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Terrible. Sorry it happened to you and glad you are okay. That being said. Get the car checked ASAP for any frame damage. If they find any. Persist the insurance will deem it as salvage. The car is never EVER the same with frame damage. Don’t let them tell you differently. It’s not safe especially if you got in another one. My guess is you have damage. It was hit by a big ass heavy semi.
That's a bit too much. It got nudged, it didn't get squished between a semi and a wall.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Insurance companies are not on your side. They are in it to make money. You do have to make sure things are done correctly as it is your car and they just want it fixed. Usually to the lowest bidder. The claim adjuster will evaluate the car and so will the body shop.
Do yourself a huge favor and see what body shops they offer and then look them up in the BBB. They should give you a couple choices. Choose the one with the best review.
I'm not sure if the law is different in other states- but in WI the owner has the power to take their car to whatever shop they want to. Insurance companies do have "preferred" shops though- and if you use one of them often the process is a lot more streamlined.

When I needed a new hood on my 2016 Accord, I went with a shop that wasn't "preferred". Instead of dealing with the shop directly, State Farm sent one of their employees out to inspect the damage (from a freak accident where concrete fell on my hood at work from the roof above) and then they created an estimate based on the extent of the damage and wrote me a check. I then could go to any shop I wanted.

When the car was totaled a few months later, I just used one of their shops because I figured that I wouldn't be getting the car back anyway. That time, State Farm took the word of their shop in terms of the damages and would have paid them directly if they would have deemed it repairable. Since the repair would have cost almost as much as the car was worth, State Farm just totaled it.

I'm sure that someone bought it at a salvage auction and was able to fix it for a lot cheaper than what than what the estimate was for though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad you are ok . I've been in a few accidents myself They aren't fun. It seems the car is drivable. Brakes well, turns etc? I would get a 4 wheel aligment first. Thats a quick way to check if anything is bent in the rear suspension, and if nothing is, then you can drive it while waiting to see what happens with the insurance company.

Too be honest it doesn't look bad from the pictures but for your peace of mind, get it checked on a frame straightener . Just to make sure your unibody isnt twisted in even the slightest bit . I'm not sure what type of insurance coveage you have but, I would insist genuine parts are used . Also an estimate is just an estimate . Usually hidden damage is found after the fact.

You would be surprised and what damage costs these days. it adds up quick.

Vince .

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
383 Posts
Glad you are ok!

A couple of months ago, one of my coworkers was hit like that as well but it was a distracted younger driver in a Jeep (who also fled but was located later). IIRC, they totaled the car.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
383 Posts
That's a bit too much. It got nudged, it didn't get squished between a semi and a wall.
Crazy you should mention that - a buddy of mine got killed 15 years ago like that on the 91 freeway, only it was a cement mixer and he also got crushed.

Very recently, another co-worker was killed by a flying wheel that originated from a collision on the other side of the freeway.

This isn't him (he was in a car) but I imagine it to be freak like this:

You never know... :(

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that this happened to you. Please take some time to relax and clear your mind, as that sounds like an awful experience. Admittedly, I am curious about what the insurance company will have to say about your car. Specifically, would this be enough to total your car? Some of the other DA members have touched on the potential for a bent frame. If that is the case, I think I'd rather not have to keep it.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
507 Posts
Agree with not keeping the vehicle if the frame is damaged. Not sure if it will be or not, I'd guess no, but if it is, your safety in another accident may be compromised.
My mom's dad used to be a safety engineer and he was really insistent on these kinds of things. He would see crashes where people died in relatively low speed collisions in rebuilt, frame damaged vehicles.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm going to drop the car off at one of the insurance companies collision shops today, and I am definitely going to insist on checking the frame for damage, and also checking the tires for flat spots. I made a little diagram of what happened to make it easier to visualize. I was literally 3 seconds from my exit, but the driver of the truck said I tried to get in front of him which makes no sense at all.
Accident.png

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,844 Posts
Either way, he hit you, which makes him at fault. If you really were "trying to get in front of him", implying he SAW YOU, he should have backed off.

Don't be afraid of getting a second opinion. You do not have to use a shop recommended by the insurance company and you do not have to take their first offer.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
507 Posts
I'm going to drop the car off at one of the insurance companies collision shops today, and I am definitely going to insist on checking the frame for damage, and also checking the tires for flat spots. I made a little diagram of what happened to make it easier to visualize. I was literally 3 seconds from my exit, but the driver of the truck said I tried to get in front of him which makes no sense at all. View attachment 529272
It also might be helpful to show this graphic to insurance/repair shops to help them picture the scenario more completely.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
383 Posts
Definitely get a copy of the report as soon as possible and check the accuracy. Hopefully, they listed the truck driver as party (mostly) at fault...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Glad you're okay and hopefully your car will be repaired correctly and quickly.

Not to get off topic but there are a lot of cringey comments on SUV's here... A vehicle with a higher center of gravity absolutely has a higher propensity to roll. That said, most SUV's are statistically safer than sedans. Why? One reason is size and weight. I have a 2016 Accord and a 2008 Pilot. Despite advances in safety technology, the Accord has a driver death rate per million of 34 and the 12 y/o Pilot is 20. The current gen Pilot is 11.

In this particular case, the OP may have been better off in a smaller vehicle with a lower center of gravity. But this is only one type of accident that can occur. There are many reasons to dislike and not own an SUV. Poor safety is not a valid reason.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Definitely get a copy of the report as soon as possible and check the accuracy. Hopefully, they listed the truck driver as party (mostly) at fault...
The officer stated he couldn't determine who was at fault since he wasn't there, and it would be up to the insurance companies to determine that. The insurance company has already ordered a copy of the police report as well, but it will take about 5 days.

·
Super Clean
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
54 Posts
The officer stated he couldn't determine who was at fault since he wasn't there, and it would be up to the insurance companies to determine that. The insurance company has already ordered a copy of the police report as well, but it will take about 5 days.
That's why I bought one of these

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Glad you're okay and hopefully your car will be repaired correctly and quickly.

Not to get off topic but there are a lot of cringey comments on SUV's here... A vehicle with a higher center of gravity absolutely has a higher propensity to roll. That said, most SUV's are statistically safer than sedans. Why? One reason is size and weight. I have a 2016 Accord and a 2008 Pilot. Despite advances in safety technology, the Accord has a driver death rate per million of 34 and the 12 y/o Pilot is 20. The current gen Pilot is 11.

In this particular case, the OP may have been better off in a smaller vehicle with a lower center of gravity. But this is only one type of accident that can occur. There are many reasons to dislike and not own an SUV. Poor safety is not a valid reason.
Pilot is a thousand pounds heavier than Accord, it's like pitting a middleweight boxer against a boxer who's 50lbs heavier and a head and shoulders taller. Accord vs. CR-V would be a more fair comparison if we are comparing sedans to SUVs. If you want to compare a sedan to Pilot, consider something in a similar weight class like a porsche panamera or bmw 7 series.

Reactions: enne

·
Registered
411 Posts
Pilot is a thousand pounds heavier than Accord, it's like pitting a middleweight boxer against a boxer who's 50lbs heavier and a head and shoulders taller. Accord vs. CR-V would be a more fair comparison if we are comparing sedans to SUVs. If you want to compare a sedan to Pilot, consider something in a similar weight class like a porsche panamera or bmw 7 series.
Valid point. Still though, a CR-V is larger (more importantly the driver sites higher off the ground) and marginally heaver which makes a difference. And the numbers don't lie, the death rates for the CR-V are 25/per million so still lower than the sedan equivalent.

Sorry to be that annoying number cruncher calculator guy but I'm just saying. I've never felt unsafe in my Accord, I just wanted to make sure we're all being realistic.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Glad that you're OK and good luck getting your car repaired or replaced.

I hit a deer, eyeballed the damage and determined it was no big deal and could be easily repaired (2018 Sport). The State Farm agent asked if the air bags popped (they didn't) because if they did the car would be a write off. As it was it came to $11K and it seems good as new.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Glad that you're OK and good luck getting your car repaired or replaced.

I hit a deer, eyeballed the damage and determined it was no big deal and could be easily repaired (2018 Sport). The State Farm agent asked if the air bags popped (they didn't) because if they did the car would be a write off. As it was it came to $11K and it seems good as new.
The progressive agent tried calling a few of the collision centers they used and none of them answered the phone. So I found one that had good reviews and their work looks excellent, so I called her and let her know and I'm set up to drop the car off on Monday. I'm 43 years old and this is my first accident, and I always thought they sent someone to your house or something to inspect the damage?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts