Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an '04 Accord sedan AT with 80,000 miles. Car is in great shape except for one thing...

When I am driving on the roads here in Oahu it seems when I have a slight hill to climb, and am not slamming the throttle.
The car seems to rattle and make noise like "wind" is blowing on the front grill??? I can also feel this through the AT shift knob (sometimes have my hand on shifter). It happens almost all the time I am driving the car, at least every minute. Sometimes more noticeable then others. Could this be an issue with the transmission? the engine?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I recently bought an '04 Accord sedan AT with 80,000 miles. Car is in great shape except for one thing...

When I am driving on the roads here in Oahu it seems when I have a slight hill to climb, and am not slamming the throttle.
The car seems to rattle and make noise like "wind" is blowing on the front grill??? I can also feel this through the AT shift knob (sometimes have my hand on shifter). It happens almost all the time I am driving the car, at least every minute. Sometimes more noticeable then others. Could this be an issue with the transmission? the engine?

Is your car an I4 or a V6?

What do you mean by rattles? Do you mean vibrations? because 7th gen accords tend to have rattles in the dash area and doors. Which is nothing mechanically related. Also when you say wind is blowing on the front grill what do you mean? because of course if you are driving at any speed wind will be blowing through the front.

If your transmission is not slipping gears I doubt that is the problem. My advice check your engine and tranny oil. Make sure the tranny oil is pink reddish color, if is brown or other color replace it as soon as possible. Next if you have vibrations check your motor mounts since they don't last that long in our accords. and you mention it happens going up in a hill which is when the engine is working harder.

Look for Rick Blaine in this forum he is very knowledgeable about our 7th gen accords he might be able to help you out.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Whoa Juan! Easy there! But thank you!

Original Poster- please answer Juan's questions- especially about if you have a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder.

Right off the bat I am thinking it could be something as simple as your heat shield on your catalytic converter- it may be rattling because it is a little rusted. I am also wondering about your motor mounts as Juan pointed out.

Each is an easy fix. On the plus side, you live in Hawaii and take great photos, so all is well. But please answer Juan's questions...he is correct in that unless your transmission is slipping, then the car is fine.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
No slippage means your tranny is fine...pop the hood, roll the car up on some ramps, grab a set of pliers and start gently banging on things and inspecting motor mounts to see if something is loose...I would say motor mounts or heat shields are the most likely culprits (and I can't recommend whether you should replace heat shields or not, I've never replaced mine but never had the money too, I would at this stage in my life). I have seen a few brackets loosen over years of a vehicles abuse so I have applied a dab of loctite and retightened the hardware...

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
+1 to Rick's comment about the heat shield, mine was rattling like crazy on acceleration so one of my fall oil changes, I just wrapped a big pipe clamp around it. I told myself I would check it in the spring and replace it, that was 2 years ago and it's still on there good and tight and doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Is your car an I4 or a V6?

What do you mean by rattles? Do you mean vibrations? because 7th gen accords tend to have rattles in the dash area and doors. Which is nothing mechanically related. Also when you say wind is blowing on the front grill what do you mean? because of course if you are driving at any speed wind will be blowing through the front.

If your transmission is not slipping gears I doubt that is the problem. My advice check your engine and tranny oil. Make sure the tranny oil is pink reddish color, if is brown or other color replace it as soon as possible. Next if you have vibrations check your motor mounts since they don't last that long in our accords. and you mention it happens going up in a hill which is when the engine is working harder.

Look for Rick Blaine in this forum he is very knowledgeable about our 7th gen accords he might be able to help you out.
Its a V6, and my tranny does seem to slip (2nd to 3rd) or feel noticable shifting SOMETIMES. I checked the tranny fluid and it was brown. I didn't really notice any stong pink tint to it??? Should I change my tranny fluid? is it that difficult? what type of oil?

Also, ill try and record a video, hopefully can get good sound (iphone).

THANKS

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Its a V6, and my tranny does seem to slip (2nd to 3rd) or feel noticable shifting SOMETIMES. I checked the tranny fluid and it was brown. I didn't really notice any stong pink tint to it??? Should I change my tranny fluid? is it that difficult? what type of oil?

Also, ill try and record a video, hopefully can get good sound (iphone).

THANKS
If your transmission is actually slipping....it is not good.

Yes, change your trans fluid immediately. It should be pink or at least red in color- NOT BROWN!

You did search on how to do this, right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes but could you please explain a little more in detail?
Ok. At the point of gear each change from gear 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc. I experience I slight pull forward, not jerky.this kind of pul u experince when u apply the break,though not as pronounced, but definatly noticable if u pay attention.it only happen during upshifting. I don't experience it when decelarating.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
@dan: I don't want us to hijack "not guilty"'s thread...

You may want to post a new thread to get more responses....but do you have a manual transmission or an automatic transmission? Are you describing "flaring", where just before the up-shift the acceleration abruptly ends- resulting in the same feeling as if you just tapped your brake pedal?

EDIT: Dan, I went to your other thread right now to finish this discussion about YOUR transmission and to stop hi-jacking not guilty's.....
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=140729

·
Registered
73 Posts
@dan: I don't want us to hijack "not guilty"'s thread...

You may want to post a new thread to get more responses....but do you have a manual transmission or an automatic transmission? Are you describing "flaring", where just before the up-shift the acceleration abruptly ends- resulting in the same feeling as if you just tapped your brake pedal?
Yes,thats the feeling I'm trying to describe.it's an auto transmission.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the maint. required indicator flashes a few times when I start my car now. And shifting seems to be more jerky and very slippy. What should I do? Change my tranny fluid? Or could it be something worse?

What is cost of getting fluid changed, or should I DIY?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well the maint. required indicator flashes a few times when I start my car now. And shifting seems to be more jerky and very slippy. What should I do? Change my tranny fluid? Or could it be something worse?

you will need roughly 10 quarts of Honda DW-1 AT fluid get it online is a bit cheaper. Here is a Video is basically easier than doing an oil change. You have to do it 3X to drain most of the fluid out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, here is a video of the noise im experiencing all the time. It is pretty quiet in the video, just turn volume up. It happens at 0:02 - 0:04 and 0:06 - 0:08 and 0:21 - 0:23. There is also a slight rattling sound as well, don't think you can quite hear it though in the video.
I know video doesn't help all that much, but might as well give it a shot. Hopefully someone will know...

·
Registered
123 Posts

The car has only 80K but I has a hunch that the ATF has not been changed. I'd do the drain and fill x2 times (6qts. of Honda ATF about $48). If you can change your car oil, you can change the ATF. You will need a 16" long breaker bar to get the AT plug loose to drain it. For each drain, you fill it up with 3qts. at the AT dip stick and drive for a week. You should feel the AT behaves better even after the first drain and fill. Change it again a week later, you should be good to go. If the AT still slips, you are in for bigger problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car has only 80K but I has a hunch that the ATF has not been changed. I'd do the drain and fill x2 times (6qts. of Honda ATF about $48). If you can change your car oil, you can change the ATF. You will need a 16" long breaker bar to get the AT plug loose to drain it. For each drain, you fill it up with 3qts. at the AT dip stick and drive for a week. You should feel the AT behaves better even after the first drain and fill. Change it again a week later, you should be good to go. If the AT still slips, you are in for bigger problem.
I dont really have the tools etc. for any kind of job on the car at the moment. If I was to have someone do it for me, how much SHOULD that run? Dealer or shop?

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
@not-guilty: Here in Chicago a local independent shop would charge just $20 - $30 for labor for each drain and fill procedure.

That means YOU purchase the Honda fluid and Honda drain plug washer.

Similar to an oil change- but much easier in that you don't have to lift the car.

You did a search and watched a video/saw the write-up on how easy this is, right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, went to transmission shop today and told them about the issue and had them test drive it.
They say the transmission needs to be rebuilt because the TORQUE CONVERTER is bad which is burning the oil (brown) and causing the grinding noise when accelerating. TOTAL COST = $2500 which is rebuilding it and taking it apart, etc.

:(

Do you think I could get it cheaper, maybe at a dealer? Could I drive the car very longer? Is it covered by some type of warranty, or recall?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That sound is almost a complete match for what i was hearing. It was rarely during accel though. Mine was in steady state driving around 40-45 mph. Accelerating actually stopped the noise.

Mine turned out to be motor mounts. I believe one of them has a vacuum line and it pumps it up at certain rpm levels to reduce vibration. Had all of mine replaced and the noise went away and its stayed that way so I am assuming this was it. Nothing was loose or broken with clamps/heatshields etc underneath.

05 6 cylinder EX here, auto tranny

1 - 20 of 24 Posts