Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 EX-V6 with a little over 20k miles. Tonight while driving to the store, I heard a noise that sounded like something was grinding...almost metal to metal. I was driving about 60mph and wasn't pressing on the gas so I didn't think it was me and figured it was the car next to me. When I touched the brakes the noise changed. I just a few hard steps and the sound went away, that's when I realized it was me. On the way home, same thing, but I stomped on the brakes a few times and the sound kept coming back. The rear brakes have only just start to squeal when they are cold and right before December I checked my pads and they were fine, about 60% left in all pads. Any idea what the grinding noise could be? Sounded like it was coming from the driver side front but I'm not 100% sure. Could it be the pad is grinding against the rotors meaning the spring broke? when the sound starts and I step on the brakes a few times, it does go away and doesn't come back. Any ideas would be great. Thanks! Might just have to take it to the dealership if they are willing to do a free inspection.

·
NYC ALIVE
146 Posts
you need new pads get them done fast so you dont put a gouge in your rotor. its the wear tab its a small peice if mettle ot the pad to tell you when you need new pads

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does that tab still rub agains the rotor even when I'm not stepping on the brakes? I know when the pads are wearing and you step on the brakes it will make a noise. This happens during normal driving only stepping on the gas.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
does that tab still rub agains the rotor even when I'm not stepping on the brakes? I know when the pads are wearing and you step on the brakes it will make a noise. This happens during normal driving only stepping on the gas.
Yes. That's the whole purpose. It makes that noise to let you know that it's time to change the pads. You have about 5K miles left before it wears down to the metal, which will become an expensive repair. With the high wear rate of the rear brakes on the 8th Accord, I recommend you to check out the Duralast Cmax Gold pads from Autozone. Bring in the old worn down pads with the receipt and they will give you a new set no question ask. That way, you will only have to buy the rear pads once. It cost $60 for a set for the rear.

I made the mistake of sticking with OEM pads the first time around, only to have them worn down again 25K miles later (durrr). I got sick of buying pads every 25K miles so I decided to go with the Cmax pads. I like them a lot. They are quiet and generate a lot less brake dust than OEM set.

·
Registered
18 Posts
what everyone said is correct. you want to obvioulsy change them before it starts grinding. unfortunatly if your here it already its too late for your rotors...GL

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
what everyone said is correct. you want to obvioulsy change them before it starts grinding. unfortunatly if your here it already its too late for your rotors...GL
Huh? The indicator makes the grinding noise to let you know it's time to change pad. If it sounds like light metal scratching, no problem. I think you're thinking of screeching.

·
Registered
60 Posts
so my accords got 17xxx kms on it and my brakes are starting to squeal just as winter is coming by. does this mean they need to go?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Pull both back wheels and check the pads. If you still have a decent amount of pad its not the indicator thats making the noise its the pad itself. The stock pads are junk, just swap out the pads when you get a chance. My pads looked brand new but were making noise so I swapped out the pads all around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Huh? The indicator makes the grinding noise to let you know it's time to change pad. If it sounds like light metal scratching, no problem. I think you're thinking of screeching.
I think your right. I may have confused the noises.lol. But usually once you hear the metal scratching, by the time you realize,drive around and get it fixed. It may be too late for the rotor. not always the case but likely..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: you guys were absolutely right, I looked at the outer pads and noticed there was much more pad left then the inner pad, the inner pad was warn down pretty bad and it was the warning indicator scratching. The rotors looked fine, was going to change the rotors too but couldn't get the screws off and it was getting way too cold to start drilling out (25 degrees when I went for the test drive). I'll have to change the rotors when it gets warmer.
ICE, can you tell me about the pad warranty? I asked the sales person how the warranty works and she said only manufacture defect, if the pads are worn, you can't just bring them back.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
UPDATE: you guys were absolutely right, I looked at the outer pads and noticed there was much more pad left then the inner pad, the inner pad was warn down pretty bad and it was the warning indicator scratching. The rotors looked fine, was going to change the rotors too but couldn't get the screws off and it was getting way too cold to start drilling out (25 degrees when I went for the test drive). I'll have to change the rotors when it gets warmer.
ICE, can you tell me about the pad warranty? I asked the sales person how the warranty works and she said only manufacture defect, if the pads are worn, you can't just bring them back.
Is it this one? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...counter=0&itemIdentifier=911884_116848_16108_ ? If so, she doesn't know what she's talking about. Autozone always had a no question asked policy for these pads. You can change them out every 6 months if you like. Just bring in the old pads with the receipt and they will give you a new set. Perhaps talk to another associate?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts