Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Ballin' on a budget
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is in response to the Sticky "Nice Surprises" located here:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=415

Ive had my 06 Accord 6/6 for about 2 months now. I am getting to know her very well and I absolutely LOVE the car!

However, I do have a few gripes about the car and wanted to hear about some gripes you guys have with your 7th gen Accords.

My list is very short, but they are important things to me!

1. Steering feedback - I feel the steering is very numb, its too light for my taste and doesn't provide much feedback.. I suppose this is what I get for buying a family car :p.. I upgraded from an RSX-S so I may have just been spoiled. Havn't had many chances to take the Accord to its limits to see how she feels!

2. Notchy 2nd gear - Havn't seen many people complaining about this one, I am aware of the TSB for 3rd gear (my RSX suffered the same problem). When engaging 2nd gear from 1st, it can sometimes be VERY notchy, and sometimes it wont even engage into 2nd. And yes, the clutch is buried in the floor.

·
1,771 Posts
I feel the opposite about the steering as you do. I think the Steering feel in the 06 6-6 is top notch and not light at all. This is the honest truth, the steering feel can hold its own against the GTI, Mazda3. Now the turning raduis ****s, I'll give you that.

I give it a 9 out of 10 for steering feel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This is in response to the Sticky "Nice Surprises" located here:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=415

Ive had my 06 Accord 6/6 for about 2 months now. I am getting to know her very well and I absolutely LOVE the car!

However, I do have a few gripes about the car and wanted to hear about some gripes you guys have with your 7th gen Accords.

My list is very short, but they are important things to me!

1. Steering feedback - I feel the steering is very numb, its too light for my taste and doesn't provide much feedback.. I suppose this is what I get for buying a family car :p.. I upgraded from an RSX-S so I may have just been spoiled. Havn't had many chances to take the Accord to its limits to see how she feels!

2. Notchy 2nd gear - Havn't seen many people complaining about this one, I am aware of the TSB for 3rd gear (my RSX suffered the same problem). When engaging 2nd gear from 1st, it can sometimes be VERY notchy, and sometimes it wont even engage into 2nd. And yes, the clutch is buried in the floor.
Ooh, you just made my day -- sort of, at least I know I'm not nuts. My 2nd gear has become notchy in the past several months, but I've also noticed it in 1st and R. The tranny fluid was just changed with the Honda formula, and no noticeable difference. I'm planning to have her looked at as soon as I have some downtime after the holiday.

·
Boosted Sedan
1,823 Posts
1. No heated washer nozzle sprayers which as of right now are frozen SOLID (something i took for granted on my previous car bc it always worked, esp. in the winter!)

2. Suspension, suspension, suspension - lots of body lean on tight corners - center of gravity could also be better as could the weight all culprits (maybe different from 7th to 8th gen as well) Yes i know its not a sports car, ...

3. Lack of higher end features that come standard on other cars (HID's, signal mirrors etc. )

4. OEM Honda brakes/rotors seem to warp alot faster than other cars

5. 6-6 high rpm issues with clutch and gearing "feel" like a brick

·
Registered
52 Posts
my biggest gripe with the accord (V6), is that the headers are cast into the block.

Oh and I forgot, the shifter knob for the manual. The little metal piece on top of the knob... it either gets super hot in the summer, or it is super cold in the winter

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Steering is too light, yes I did come from an Integra GSR but 3 years later I still feel the steering is too light or overly boosted, I also noticed this when I travelled to Europe a couple of years ago, I had a Ford Montego and also drove two mid size VW (Passat being one and a small SUV being the other), they all had great steering feel and centering trait when going straight, I just find the Accord strays off center too easily while going straight.

Too much lean is easily fixed with the TL-S sway bars.

I would like a heated steering wheel though!

·
Ballin' on a budget
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel the opposite about the steering as you do. I think the Steering feel in the 06 6-6 is top notch and not light at all. This is the honest truth, the steering feel can hold its own against the GTI, Mazda3. Now the turning raduis ****s, I'll give you that.
Its not that there isnt much "feel", I guess I should have been a bit more clear.. I think its because the steering is electric (confirm this?), but mid-corner in the RSX the steering would really weight up nicely, you could feel a lot better where the limits were on the RSX than in the Accord. I'll have to take the Accord for a hard ride next spring... 6 months from now :(

Ooh, you just made my day -- sort of, at least I know I'm not nuts. My 2nd gear has become notchy in the past several months, but I've also noticed it in 1st and R. The tranny fluid was just changed with the Honda formula, and no noticeable difference. I'm planning to have her looked at as soon as I have some downtime after the holiday.
Let me know how that goes!! I would really like to find a solution to this... my Accord only has 10.8k on it, but it sat for quite some time, so maybe I will consider a tranny fluid change...

I forgot, I WANT HID'S!!! those were one of the huge things I wanted on my next "new" car, and I nearly cried when I found out they weren't even an option. Oh well, at least it has LED tails :)

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
No, 7th Gen PS is hydraulic.

May want to try the GM FMSM transmission fluid, unless you can still get dealership to fix something under warranty.

·
Ballin' on a budget
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, 7th Gen PS is hydraulic.

May want to try the GM FMSM transmission fluid, unless you can still get dealership to fix something under warranty.
Ahh, well it feels a little too light for my taste, but I knew what I was getting into... I do nearly 100% highway driving and the RSX was not a comfey car to sit in for long periods of time. I'm sure the steering will grow on me, especially once I can push it close to the limits and find out what it can handle!

The factory warranty expired on it, I did get a 36k mile warranty free when I bought the car, I suppose I could take a trip to the dealer and see if they can do anything for me. Might as well fix the problem now before it turns into a new transmission!

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I spoke to a local service manager, he suggested a leak from the slave cylinder. I'm not experiencing any problems with pedal depression, but periodically I'll have to pump it once or twice to get into 1st from a dead stop. Mostly, it's just the shift lever catching in 1/2/R.

Hoping it's a simple fix.

·
2003 I4 Noble Green EX
84 Posts
First of all, we bought our 2003 I4 sedan in October as a commute car for my wife. She has to park it in a Light Rail station all day, so we wanted something "generic" that wouldn't attract thieves and vandals. The car fits the bill perfectly, and she doesn't miss her old Camry much at all. But here is a list of my gripes, things Honda could have done better.

1. The headlights offend me - I can't understand how they got such an aggressive looking headlight housing to perform so badly. My 1993 Toyota truck with square halogen sealed beams has better output and beam pattern!

2. The OEM speakers are garbage, my Xmas present to my wife is to buy and install some Infinity Reference speakers.

3. Honda cheaped out on the trunk lid, it feels like it belongs on a Yugo. Couple that with the license plate held on with only two bolts, and you have a real cheap sound when you close it (I put in rubber bumpers behind the license plate and it helps, but I'm used to the solid THUMP of our 330's lid).

4. While we are on the subject of the trunk, the light is a joke. I replaced it with a 6-LED array from Paul at Diode Dynamics, and it is much brighter now.

5. The shift quadrant light is badly designed, with a delicate bulb that fails way too early.

6. That annoying rattle from the cubby box lid.

If I sound like I am nitpicking, I am. That goes to show how good the 7th Gen Accords really are. Other than the headlights, I would classify all the other items as minor annoyances.

Cheers,
Paul

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,444 Posts
the headlights on an accord, as long as i can remember, were never good enough....

#1 gripe for me....

i'll take the headlight flicker anyday of the week, as long as the headlights stretch far enough down the road...

·
Ballin' on a budget
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2. The OEM speakers are garbage, my Xmas present to my wife is to buy and install some Infinity Reference speakers.
Let me know how the replacement speakers sound! I want to upgrade my stereo in the worst way.

Are you going to amp the speakers or just run them off the stock head unit?

·
No longer active
702 Posts
I'll just say what most here likely assume everyone knows: I love my accord.
There. It's out there, right at the top. I've even gone so far as to bold it.
That said, here is my list of gripes:

1) Headlights - they look awesome, but the stock bulbs throw terribly low levels of light and are wholly inadequate. I replaced my bulbs with Sylvania Xtravisions, and it's made a huge difference. I don't know if it is a design issue or if the stock bulbs are just cheap-o garbage, though I suspect it's a bit of both.

2) Window rattles - Honda has known about customer complaints over window rattles for years and has done nothing to correct the issue at the factory. They knew about it, at the latest, in 2004 and most gen 7 owners complain about it. They should have recognized the issue immediately and fixed it prior to releasing the 05's, or the 06's, or the 07's. But they didn't. Stupid. I grease my windows up four times a year to keep them from squeaking, but this feels like something I shouldn't ever have to do. I had a 1981 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham. Not a single window ever rattled in well over 100k miles.

3) Stereo/HVAC controls - They look cool. They work well. Why design the car so replacing the stereo requires major surgery and relocating the head unit? Lame. At the very least, they should have designed it so aftermarket companies COULD design a DIN that allowed for replacement without relocating the head unit. I know, many car makers are doing this. Still, Honda is not like many car makers and this simple design attention could have further proven that out. For the first 10 years of my driving life, I have always replaced the factory unit with a higher powered, better unit (Sony, Pioneer, etc) almost immediately after purchasing the car. I would LOVE to be able to do that in my Honda, but I don't want to lose space in the cubby below the controls, nor do I want to render the stock head unit to Clock duty.

4) Sound deadening - I like hearing my car make good car noises, I don't like hearing road noise, wind noise, tire boom, and other cars huge tires while driving. I've lived with it this long and am not sure if I'll be replacing the car in a year and a half or keeping it yet, so I don't want to invest money and time into putting after market sound deadening in the door panels, wheel wells, trunk, etc. I took a ride in a buddies Camry (boring and YUCK) and damn that car is quiet. Of course, I rented a Mustang on vacation a while back and was amazed at how much quieter my car was, but still. That was a convertible.

5) Availability of after market exhaust for the 4 cylinder sedan - WTF? Is it because after market exhaust manufacturers don't think we'd want the car to sound throatier or is it because Honda discourages them? I know I can go have a custom exhaust made. I know it may even be cheaper than buying a complete unit from an after market manufacturer. I don't want to go to an exhaust shop and have them tinker with three or four different ideas before I pick which sound I like best. They make exhausts for the V6 models and the I4 coupe, why not the sedan? This gripe is probably not a Honda issue, so it's a very minor gripe.

6) Paint durability - touch my car wrong and I get a scratch. The paint is just thin man. My front and rear bumpers look terrible and I have so many little scratches on the hood, doors, and body panels. My skills with touch up paint are terrible. I'm going to have the car professionally touched up and buffed out next spring in an effort to restore some of what I consider the best color on the car - eternal blue pearl.

7) Mouse fur interior - the cloth is very grippy. So grippy, in fact, that whenever my dog goes for a ride, his fur gets stuck in the fabric and no amount of vacuuming can get it out. Also, when I got the car I was a smoker. A piece of still burning ash hit the seat and it immediately left a mark on the driver's seat that can't be removed or fixed. The lit ash was on the seat for less than a second. I wish they made the fabric somehow more resistant. My fault. Not sure if I'll ever correct the problem though because as far as I can tell, the only fix is to replace the seat.

8) The stock tires blow - I suffered with the stock tires until 40,000 miles. When it came time to change them, I looked at every available replacement and weighed price and customer reviews. I went with General Altimax HP's and I have to say - whoa, what an improvement. No more hydroplaning, better performance in light snow, quieter, better ride, etc. Also, far cheaper. My Altimax's are far superior to the stockers in every way.

I disagree with the gripes about steering feel. My car handles very well and the feedback is perfect. Sure, the effort level is light. But I always can tell what is going on at the contact patches. The car is very responsive and feels light on its feet. Again, switching from the rented Mustang back to my blue baby was a revelation. It's no Porsche, but having driven Malibu's, Focus's, Camry's, Mustangs, Cobalt's, and VW's, only VW's come close to the steering feel of my Accord.

Still, overall, I love my Accord. I completely understand why Car and Driver consistently have put it on the 10 best list 25 times in 29 years. Arguably the best choice in terms of value, reliability, resale value, performance, and flexibility. This being the first Honda I've ever owned, I've been seriously impressed. My buddy purchased a Subaru Impreza a few years back and even he admits that my car is superior in every way but one - his comes standard with all wheel drive. My Accord has been essentially problem free for going on 6 years now, with the only issue coming from a bad battery that was replaced under warranty in under an hour. Compared to my last car, a 1998 VW GTI, that's nothing. Within 2 weeks of taking home the GTI, I had replaced two components to the windshield washer mechanism. Within a year, I had replaced a window regulator. Within 3 years of owning the GTI, I had replaced three window regulators (the car only had two windows that rolled up and down) and two transmissions. When I sold the car, I counted 4 transmissions, five window regulators, three wiring harnesses, two windshield washing components, the body side molding for the whole car, and a factory stereo system had all been replaced in 7 years. My Accord? One bad battery. Awesome car.

·
2003 I4 Noble Green EX
84 Posts
Let me know how the replacement speakers sound! I want to upgrade my stereo in the worst way.

Are you going to amp the speakers or just run them off the stock head unit?
I'll be running of the stock head unit. Actually, I have already installed the rear 6x9s, and that made a HUGE difference, but the soundstage needs to come back up front. The 6030cs component set (which according to UPS is being delivered today) should take care of that.

·
*KindaFondaHonda*
542 Posts
After owning our Ohio-built, 2003 Accord for 7+ years and 48K miles, I can say it has surpassed every expectation I've had as far as reliability (perfect), quality (excellent), and performance (terrific). Of course, after getting the Murano and M35, I can see that the Accord has been built to a price by omitting features (even on their premium model) that are almost universally adopted by other manufacturers.

Gripes:

** No sensored, auto on/off headlights. Just unbelievably stupid. I've had 'em on every car since about 1989. I cannot believe an engineer, while testing prototypes, didn't point out this very simple feature was missing. On all our other cars (Nissans/Infiniti) we never have to touch the light switch.

** No auto open/close on the moonroof. Just insanely stupid. Not even an auto shutoff of the motor when it reaches fully open or closed while holding the switch. We are forced to watch the panel open while driving to ascertain when to let go of the switch. I thought this feature was standard fare since the 70's... never had a car without one-touch open/close... most even had auto-close when the ignition switch was turned off (programmable). Talk about cheaping out.

** Leather quality is awful. It looks terrific. Gathered and french-stitched. Has held up flawlessly. But it is so heavily coated with color that it feels like glorified vinyl. Our Nissans (especially the unbelievably buttery leather of my Infiniti) put the Accords crap to shame (and have held up just as well). But, I will say that the leather doesn't get hot like vinyl in the sun (not even in Florida sun with NO tinted film). Oh, and the leather (no matter the quality) is 1000X better than velvet.

** No mute button on the steering wheel for the stereo. Total oversight.

** Auto trans is quite unrefined. Again, compared to every other car we've had or currently own, the Honda 5 speed is woefully under developed. Crisp shifting is fine if it results in better longevity (by not slipping between shifts). But these AT's are far from reliable. The minute ours develops even a hint of transmission-failure symptoms (long-shot, I'm sure), it's GONE at that very moment (and probably Hondas forever). At this moment (Dec. 2010) though, all is pink and flare-free.

** The AC compressors incessant cycling on and off while sitting, driving, whenever, is very annoying and unrefined. Again, none of our Nissans do this (if they do cycle, it is completely invisible in every way). Thank God the V6 has so much power as to erase any surging felt on all four cylinder models. This may be a trait of the Honda AC system to eek out another 3/10ths of a MPG, but the sensation of the clutch engaging/disengaging constantly is kinda junky.

** Rear brake pads that wore completely out at 48K miles. Sure, it's a "wear" item, but they lasted 1/2 of what every other car I've owned since 1983. Fronts may go twice as far.

** Lastly, Guilt. The car is so good, I can't see ever letting it go (even when my daughter graduates college and gets whatever she really wants). I guess we'll just have the Accord as a spare. That's still a few years away.

That's all I can think of at the moment.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gripes:

** No sensored, auto on/off headlights. Just unbelievably stupid. I've had 'em on every car since about 1989. I cannot believe an engineer, while testing prototypes, didn't point out this very simple feature was missing. On all our other cars (Nissans/Infiniti) we never have to touch the light switch.
very true, but what you can do is just turn your lights on and leave them on. They automatically shut off when you lock your car after a few seconds, and when you open the door and turn on the car they will turn on again. Its not the best solution, but it should work for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
very true, but what you can do is just turn your lights on and leave them on. They automatically shut off when you lock your car after a few seconds, and when you open the door and turn on the car they will turn on again. Its not the best solution, but it should work for you.
but who wants to drive with lights on all the time?

·
*KindaFondaHonda*
542 Posts
Of course I know about that "feature", but come on... drive around with ALL lights on (headlights, parking lights, side markers, and taillights) all the time? On a top of the line EX-L V6 that listed for over $27K in 2003? :screwy:

Ain't that just really ghetto? Why don't new Hondas with DRL's have ALL the lights on when the car is on, not just high beams? Why? Because it's stupid. Like I said, Honda cheaped out on something so widely accepted. I'll bet the Acura TL's of the same platform have auto headlights.:dunno:

Coulda just added a light sensor, Honda!:)

·
2003 I4 Noble Green EX
84 Posts
I don't like auto headlights. We have them on our 330ci with Xenon HIDs, and with the switch in auto, you can be driving around in the daylight with the headlights off, then you pull into your garage and they come on for an instant, just to go off when you turn the key off.
If they were standard filament bulbs, no biggie. But with HIDs, you end up powering them up needlessly, and from what I understand the power-up sequence is what is hard on the bulbs over time.

Cheers,
Paul

1 - 20 of 72 Posts