Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's no real loss of power, and the AC works great, but groaning from the AC compressor only while it's on. It's most noticeable when I'm creeping through a parking. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this last year before I got wrecked and had the condenser replaced.

It's worked great here lately, but IDK if I should replace the compressor just to be safe before it explodes.

·
sip_99
25 Posts
I had a similar problem....but I caused it I think.

I replaced the Radiator and hoses last year...and right after that, I noticed that the A/c wasn't blowing as cold (or so I thought).

I bought some r134a and tried to 'top up' the refrigerator...big mistake. Afterwards (not immediately however)...the a/c compressor started to GROAN....and then occasionally would cycle off and not pump out cold air anymore.

I lived with this issue for a year, until I read more about it on forums and online. Most likely the cause of my problem was...I overcharged it. Too little refrigerant and you'll get not so cold air. Too much, and groaning happens. There are auto-safety switches for when the pressure is too high or too low.

Yours maybe that it's slightly high but not high enough to trigger it to shut off (and blow hot air).

2 days ago, I brought it into a shop that specializes in RADS and a/c...they quoted me ~$150 CDN to Pressure and leak test, evac and recharge with r134a. They finished in 45 mins.

My A/c blows cold air (really cold) and no more noises for me.

I would suggest you do the same....a groaning a/c isn't doing the compressor any good and it's stressing the component. Why risk a $1000 + repair (dealer cost to replace compressor, probalby dryer and evac and recharge).

Get your a/c serviced!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts