Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I left work early and was able to drive 80mph down a section of hay that was recently grooved and the car felt very twitchy. I'm not real sure why they do this to the roads but I have to assume it's part of a resurfacing project. The grooves looked to be about 1/2" deep and about 1" apart and they followed the flow of traffic. I could really feel the car wondering around in the lane while on this mile long section. I don't remember my GTI ever doing this and was just wondering if anyone else has driven on such roads and what your take was. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Grooved pavement is gonna cause your car to handle differently. We have a section of concrete highway here in Nashville, 440 for us locals, that was milled in an attempt to improve the surface. At speed, the grooves make the car feel like it's wallowing left and right. Different ties probably react differently depending on the tread pattern. I'd say it is normal, and in your case only temporary,. If the road is asphalt, then it will be paved over soon.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have had several cars on milled (grooved) roads. Depending on how it was done they all wandered and felt iffy.:0

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
It really varies based on your tires I believe. The car's steering will have some effect though...

You think it's bad on 4 wheels, try two...
I agree, I rode over a couple mile stretch on my bike and it's not confidence inspiring!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've never felt this with the 17" stock Michelins, but the Bridgestones on the 18" sport wheels are really bad with grooved pavement. The car floats left and right at times. I've never felt this with any other tire before. And they also seem like they take a while to warm up, very choppy the first 10 miles of highway driving. I wouldn't buy anything other than the Michelins or Pirellis.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Driving faster usually helps....

pretty much true of every situation :)

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
So today I left work early and was able to drive 80mph down a section of hay that was recently grooved and the car felt very twitchy. I'm not real sure why they do this to the roads but I have to assume it's part of a resurfacing project. The grooves looked to be about 1/2" deep and about 1" apart and they followed the flow of traffic. I could really feel the car wondering around in the lane while on this mile long section. I don't remember my GTI ever doing this and was just wondering if anyone else has driven on such roads and what your take was. Thanks!
As the past owner of a GTI I will say that very few cars, at ANY price, steer as well as a GTI. That car remains amazingly well planted on the road, regardless of road surface. Is that to say the Accord is bad? Of course not. Most cars will wander on a grooved surface. But if you use the GTI as a benchmark for steering control on bad road surfaces, almost every other car made will disappoint. If you didn’t noticed the GTI wandering on bad road surfaces it was probably because it didn’t.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Half inch grooves are not grooves, they are ruts and no car would be expected to do well in ruts.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The GTI was an amazing car for sure, hell I bought two back to back...lol.. I really would have like to buy a Golf R but they MSRP at $36k to $39k and most dealers in Dallas want to add $1.5k to that because they are a limited production vehicle...ugh.. But yes for the money the GTI does just about everything well. Maybe if I can give in and buy some coil overs, 19" light weight wheels, and an alignment kit the Accord will get close to the handling of my old GTI...lol

·
Registered
603 Posts
ya, in my 7th gen it doesn't feel like is wandering it feels more like the beck end of the car wants to slide out but doesn't, I can't explain the feeling, it feels almost like driving on ice as if the car is just waiting for you to twitch the wheel before it sends you into the divider or into the other lanes, i think I'm on pirelli 245/45/r18's (I think) and its not as bad as it feels in my winter tires for some reason, don't even get me started on what it feels like in my elantra

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
All new concrete interstate around here is done this way. I believe it is to help channel water off the main surface but I don't know the official reason. But yes, in some areas I will feel the car pulling a little bit but that is true with all my cars, not just my 9th gen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts