Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I bought Primacy MXV4 tires from Sears, they do all the rotations and balancing for free. They also checked the alignment and turns out I needed an alignment. I just thought the pull was from the front mount needing to be replaced. I always had to apply pressure to keep the wheel straight. I shouldn't have waited so long. Now the one tire is prematurely balding on the outer crown. I also found out that both left rims are out of round. That was what was causing the hop at slower speeds. Thought it had to do with the mounts or bushings.

So, I'll need to keep the bum rims on the rear from now on. Either that or get another pair of rims. And it doesn't look like I'll be seeing 60k miles on these tires, although I rotate them religiously. Seems the cars alignment has done some damage.

On a positive note, they re-attached the main heat shield in two places, and went over the car thoroughly. All good, except for the mounts and my cracked compliance bushings. I was gonna wait on the alignment, but he said they warranty the alignment for 6,000 miles, so I could fix the bushings and they'd do it again to bring it into spec.

One thing he did mention that I haven't heard of before was the right rear camber is off and always has been. He said I could buy a EZ Arm XR that would correct it. I really don't see the need. Everything I've read about these arms they're used for lowering a car.

Overall, I am happy using Sears for tires. Granted this is only the 2nd set of tires I've bought from them, but I like that they're willing to maintain the steering for the life of the rubber. But then again, I walk in knowing exactly what I need. I am sure many people don't and pay dearly for their ignorance.

·
Super Moderator
6,358 Posts
Post the pre-alignment spec here. I'd like to see it. If the toe spec was way out before then that's the main reason for tire wear. Camber, not so much, unless you run over -2 degree.

What is the rear right camber spec? Stock limit is -1.5 degree. If you are over that, then the spring/strut have worn out. But if the toe is zero then you'll have no issues. The SPC EZ Arm XR is fine if you'd like to get it, that is what I run on my car with no issues.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These were the before numbers:

LF Camber 0.0
LF Caster 2.7
LF Toe .34

RF Camber .2
RF Caster 2.8
RF Toe .10

Front Total Toe .44
Front Steer Ahead .12

LR Camber -1.5
LR Toe .24
RR Camber -1.5
RR Toe .15

Rear Total Toe .39
Rear thrust angle .05

The after LR camber -1.5 with .11 toe
The after RR camber -1.6 with .13 toe

As I know very little re: alignment in relation to tire wear and daily handling (other than what each measurement means), I'd welcome any insight. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,358 Posts
Zero the toe in the front, have a little toe out, in the rear. Your after alignment toe spec will still yield tire wear. I don't think that shop knows what they are doing. It is very hard to find someone who knows really how to do an alignment. I finally found a speed shop locally here that does this right, all the techs there drive dumped Civics :) They are all lowered 3" or more so they understand the importance of good alignment. 0.44" toe out in the front is HUGE, so is the rear. Your tires are going to cup like crazy.

The rear camber is fine. In fact, my stock rear camber spec was at -1.5 degree for both rear left and right side wheels when my car was new. This is NOT the cause of the tire wear.

My existing spec is:
0 toe at the front left and right
-0.5 degree camber at the front left and right (because I'm lowered 1")
1/32" (0.03") toe out, at the rear left and front
-1.3 degree camber at the rear left and right

My gas mileage is up 1 to 2mpg, after years of incorrect alignment from my local NTB tires.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zero the toe in the front, have a little toe out, in the rear. Your after alignment toe spec will still yield tire wear. 0.44" toe out in the front is HUGE, so is the rear. Your tires are going to cup like crazy.

T-RD, .44 was the before number. They brought it down to -.05 in the front.

The rear camber is fine. In fact, my stock rear camber spec was at -1.5 degree for both rear left and right side wheels when my car was new. This is NOT the cause of the tire wear.

No, only one tire has premature wear on the outer tread about an inch. It came off the front. Other than that the tread is fine.

My existing spec is:
0 toe at the front left and right Mine is -.03 do I really need to bring it to 0?
-0.5 degree camber at the front left and right (because I'm lowered 1")
1/32" (0.03") toe out, at the rear left and front
-1.3 degree camber at the rear left and right

My gas mileage is up 1 to 2mpg, after years of incorrect alignment from my local NTB tires.

Only thing I don't understand is they were able to get the front toe to -.05 from .44. Huge difference. Why can't they get the rears any better than .24? Or is .24 acceptable? TIA.

I have free alignments for 6,000 miles so I can go back as often as I want. Once I get my lazy ass to do the compliance bushings (unless you wanna help a brother out), I'll need to have it re-aligned anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts