Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all -

I'm buying an Accord Sport MT in the next week or two and am trying to make sense of the lighting options. I've spent the better part of 3 hours (God I love insomnia) this morning reading the sticky, various posts on HID planet, looking at info on TRS, and pricing Touring LED lights from various parts houses.

I drive about 75-80 mi a day on state highways and good lighting (especially in winter) could be the difference between making it home to the kids and picking deer antlers out of my skull. Blinding other drivers or looking like a goof also are not on my to-do list.

Are my options basically as follows?
- H9 Bulbs (greater output(?); low cost)
- HID projectors + bulbs (even better output; installation issues(?))
- HID bulbs only in stock projectors (glare(?))

After searching, it seems that there is not a lot of info about retrofitting HID projectors into the stock housings. TRS indicates https://www.facebook.com/TheRetrofitSource/posts/10151428449556881 that 4th Gen TL projectors directly replace the stock projector. Is there any experience with installing TL projectors?

Or are there better projector alternatives? Overall the goal is to remain safe, legal, and avoid damaging the car's stock wiring (this thread was informative: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81917)

Finally, are Touring LED headlights generally seen as overpriced now that they are $~1100 for a set? I'm not sure my better 99% will let me drop that kind of money on a headlight upgrade. It would be tough to swallow the 100% price increase from when they were ~$200 back in 2012.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went with a 35 watt HID kit and have been very happy with the output and light distribution. The light does tend to pool a little closer to the vehicle then some of my oem HID equipped cars but I still feel the improvement in visibility "downfield" is drastically improved over stock. Glare hasn't seemed to be an issue, and I've even asked friends relatives I have driven behind and towards if they felt the lights glared more than an Audi or Lexus coming towards them (I know this is not scientific but better than not giving a shiat).

H9 will help you avoid the distribution issue and give better output. The drawbacks are that the bulbs will likely not last as long and you won't have the color temp that you may want.

I really don't know enough about retrofitting, and if I had more time this would prob be a fun option to explore, that splits the cost diff between hid kits and popping for the touring headlights. But I have little kids and work a lot.

Speaking of touring headlights... I think they're overpriced.

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
The 5000K HIDs match the DRLs nicely and are certainly no more offensive than the countless Acura and Lexus stock HIDs. There are plenty of people on here who will talk about glare and filament shape and how a halogen projector shouldn't be used with HIDs, etc etc, but at the end of the day, they're headlights and they are better than the stock headlights.

·
6200 rpm
208 Posts
IMO, the upgrade options rank as follows:

1. LED Touring Headlights - direct fit, engineered, OEM designed beam pattern for this car
2. Full on HID retrofit - labor intensive, but utilizes properly designed optics for HID; depending on your budget, this could be the BEST option if you select the best rated HID projectors on the market (ie. S2000)
3. H9 upgrade - Halogen bulb in a halogen projector; a safer PNP option, but now you're upping the wattage a bit and regardless of what people say, you're shoving >50% more light output through the same old projector resulting in more light where you don't need it which distracts your long range visibility.
4. HID PNP - probably your last choice for the obvious reasons. Definitely more aesthetics than function.

When I'm ready to pull the trigger, I'm going with 2 because it'll give you the most flexibility and highly functional bang for your buck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
IMO, the upgrade options rank as follows:
3. H9 upgrade - Halogen bulb in a halogen projector; a safer PNP option, but now you're upping the wattage a bit and regardless of what people say, you're shoving >50% more light output through the same old projector resulting in more light where you don't need it which distracts your long range visibility.
I swapped to H9 bulbs and they are much better than stock with no adverse effects that I can see. Kept me from hitting a deer on the way to work yesterday morning

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was originally considering doing the HID pnp since it already had projectors, although designed for halogens. For now I decided to stay completely stock because the stock projectors look exceptional imo. Razor sharp cut-off and plenty of light output. If I put HIDs in I think it would be more for the hell of doing it versus getting true results. Again, I think these stocks are looking real good and quite functional.

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
I was originally considering doing the HID pnp since it already had projectors, although designed for halogens. For now I decided to stay completely stock because the stock projectors look exceptional imo. Razor sharp cut-off and plenty of light output. If I put HIDs in I think it would be more for the hell of doing it versus getting true results. Again, I think these stocks are looking real good and quite functional.
Try it, you'll like it.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Nobody said they weren't functional. They are, otherwise Honda wouldn't have designed them and the feds wouldn't have approved them.

Still, they don't have that awesome feel of the flood of white light off the front that Xenons can give, and that is why I have ordered a set of Xenons.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I tried the HID route on my car, took it out & replaced with the H9, it's definitely the way to go, I purchased THESE, one of the best BANG 4 BUCK upgrades, IMO.

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Why are they better than HIDs?
[Cue Markus, the OPTICAL ENGINEER (seriously), who will tell you that the precise optics of your projector are perfectly designed for the exact filament location AND SHAPE of the halogens, and when you put in a Xenon, the exact location of the bright spot and the shape of it are slightly different, and therefore the projector is not throwing the light 100% perfectly, and therefore it is a bad solution]

All that said, it seems many people do just fine with sticking a Xenon straight into the projector. That is what I am planning to do once my XB35s arrive. If it is 95% good enough I'm fine with that. I know the 100% solution is to put in true HID projectors, but I would prefer not to take the time and risk of pulling the headlights, baking them in an oven to open up the glue, etc. Life is too short if I can just plug and play and get nearly the same result.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Why are they better than HIDs?
When I installed the HID KIT in my Accord, it provided great light for ME. When I checked from another vehicle (Wife's) It was blinding, so I decided I didn't want to possibly cause someone else to have an accident because of my illegally installed lights.

The H9s provide a very noticeable improvement in Throw & Spill + they don't blind people.

I see all the cars running around with Blue Tint lights, they think they are cool looking but They Blind people.

·
Registered
916 Posts
H9 for me - lots of light and no problems. They look very white.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the information.

Has anyone done the TRS upgrade with the 'bolt in' 4th gen TL projectors?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts