Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to build a device or PC that can write data to the digital display (where XM radio song names are shown) or be able to intercept steering wheel buttons?

Something like the BMW i-bus?

Is there a CAN bus adapter or something similar?

Thanks.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
It has never been done, nor is it possible. Plus it would help if we knew which year model Accord you owned. The data is proprietary to the OEM stereo. The data on the harness provides for clock, audio and dual temp display. For example, an aftermarket stereo could not connect to the sub display.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
...nor is it possible.
Interfacing with the CAN bus is very possible, especially since there are hardly any security features of the CAN protocol. However, you would need a microcontroller and custom code to interface with the bus.

·
Sponsored by ambition
65 Posts
The steering wheel controls would be easy to adapt to another system though, in theory. I'm adapting the system information buttons from an RL into a 3-button iphone-like setup. The middle button will act like the stop/play/voice button on the inline mic for the new iphones. The other two operate as the up & down buttons. I am simply wiring them to a 3.5mm plug that will connect to my iPhone when I'm in the car. I've not been impressed with any of the bluetooth systems I've seen so far.

·
Mike
841 Posts
Steering wheel controls are relatively simple and use the common resistive divider method to generate a different voltage depending on the button pressed. If you know what you’re doing you can tap across the existing system without affecting it and use a generic commercial controller to convert the voltage levels to switch outputs.

It is relatively a simple task to code a micro controller to do this if you know someone into coding these. www.mp3car.com forums have a few threads with homemade stuff for sale that can do this.

As hillstones said, “the data is propriety for the clock and temp display” It can be reverse engineered but I don’t think anyone one has bothered.

·
Dats da way to do...
487 Posts
where can u purchase the plastic trim/bezel thats around the screen. mines got messed up

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
where can u purchase the plastic trim/bezel thats around the screen. mines got messed up
Any Honda dealer. I remember someone on here saying it was only like $25.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts