Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to get some opinions on the advantages & disadvantages of polishing cam shafts.

I previously owned a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT-V6 (totaled) modified with full twin-turbo. I took the time to rip out the engine and open it up to hand polish the camshaft and assembly. I noticed a major difference before and after. It was very much needed as Hyundai was not known to make quality parts back then.

Knowing this and first time owning a Honda, is the hand polishing an advantage or not on Hondas and does anyone know the quality of the machining of the camshafts at Honda?

( might be something i'll find out when i open it up.... :dunno: )

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Great idea. Take your motor completely apart and hand polish everything, because we all know that Honda, the largest internal combustion engine manufacturer in the world, has no quality control, nor do they have inspectors.

That is the reason that you see so many broken down Honda's on the side of the road, number 1 reason for breakdown is lack of camshaft polish.

Keep us informed. Take before and after pictures and post them here.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Where is the necessity to be impolite over someone who simply ask a question? If he is a perfectionist and/or elitist and want to mirror polish his camshaft, why do you care?

Just walk by and ignore if you are unhappy.

·
Daily Driver
11 Posts
Why don't you "just walk by and ignore" because you're unhappy with a little light-hearted banter... or better yet, what's your opinion of polishing the camshaft?

btw- for the vast majority of us, if I may be so bold, to "rip out the engine and open it up to hand polish the camshaft and assembly" on an excellent 2013 or 14 Accord Sport is not something we've considered, or will considered doing. So to the OP, why? If he does it he can report back to the group. Cool. And it is kind of a funny title, admit it.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Where is the necessity to be impolite over someone who simply ask a question? If he is a perfectionist and/or elitist and want to mirror polish his camshaft, why do you care?

Just walk by and ignore if you are unhappy.
Because this sounds insane. Why would you want to rip open a brand new engine for this? You are introducing so many other risks. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I just responded to another post where a guy had convinced himself that he needed to change the "break in oil" at 1500 miles. This forum is really entertaining me today! And some people really get into this hobby to the point of doing weird things like considering ripping apart a new engine to polish a camshaft that apparently Honda has designed with lots of "unpolished" surfaces and friction.

The placebo effect is very strong on this board........ :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
547 Posts
So I wanted to get some opinions on the advantages & disadvantages of polishing cam shafts.

I previously owned a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT-V6 (totaled) modified with full twin-turbo. I took the time to rip out the engine and open it up to hand polish the camshaft and assembly. I noticed a major difference before and after. It was very much needed as Hyundai was not known to make quality parts back then.

Knowing this and first time owning a Honda, is the hand polishing an advantage or not on Hondas and does anyone know the quality of the machining of the camshafts at Honda?

( might be something i'll find out when i open it up.... :dunno: )
I have never heard of doing this. For what reason? Besides, you are dismantling a perfectly good engine, putting it back together, talk about developing problems....:paranoid:

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I have never heard of doing this. For what reason? Besides, you are dismantling a perfectly good engine, putting it back together, talk about developing problems....:paranoid:
Wasn't one of the 9G's engine talking points the "micropolished" cam shafts?

To me it sounds like something that has drastically larger downsides that it might have upsides.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I wouldn't bother because the I4 Earth Dreams engine probably already has that done at the factory. According to their Earth Dreams power train web page the I4 engine in the Accord incorporates "through extensive friction reduction measures'. Here's the URL for more info: http://world.honda.com/EarthDreamsTechnology/

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Even if you were to do such a thing why not use a machine.

Do you see engine builders and machine shops polishing cams/cranks by hand? NO!

Polishing by hand is asking for problems.

And as others have stated above; Honda makes engines and have done so for a very long time. Honda is not Hyundai (and even so I don't believe one bit that the Hyundai camshaft needed to be polished).

And what is the point of doing this unless you are building a full race motor. Are you building a race car out of the Accord? Probably not. And even if you were, you would already know the answer to this question.

This thread is so full of FAIL.

but don't let us stop you. Go ahead, rip your shit apart, polish it 'by hand' and tell us what happens.

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well there is a big fat NO. Didn't know I would receive this negative feedback. :thumbsdow

I was just wondering cause i was modifying a used Honda F20C Engine and seeing the need to do so.

Also, my reference to "hand polish" didnt literally mean by hand. I would use a grinder to smooth away and imperfections to illiminate damaging metal to metal friction caused by metal debris from previous usage.

Sorry for confusions, cause I would never "rip out" the brand new engine I have in the 9th gen Accord.

Thanks anyway, ya'll.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would use a grinder to smooth away and imperfections to illiminate damaging metal to metal friction caused by metal debris from previous usage.
Please post pics if you do this, I'd love to see this and benefit from your learnings.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
I'm sorry OP, but I just can't believe that you're serious about this. :lmao:

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
From this:

To this:

I was just wondering cause i was modifying a used Honda F20C Engine and seeing the need to do so.

Sorry for confusions, cause I would never "rip out" the brand new engine I have in the 9th gen Accord.
And posted in the 9th Gen subforum, you can see how/why folks are drawing the conclusion they did.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
*Checks for a facepalm emoticon*

God damn it, why don't we have one!

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Sorry that you expected to be praised for being so adventurous. The Accord crowd is usually not accustomed to such drastic, anal, seemingly risky modifications. Polishing the cam on a used engine, or a heavily-modified one, would probably have more benefit than a well-made, well-engineered new engine like in your Accord. On a brand new engine, I highly doubt you'd see any measurable difference, anyway. This is a Honda and not some low-quality Korean machine, after all. Besides, tearing apart a brand new engine to do this seems absurd when you consider your warranty would be voided.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts