Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2014 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2014 EX-L V6 with navi since October. While I generally love the electronics (HFL, navi, audio, etc.) system, it's got some annoying bugs that I hope others may have experienced and, I fervently hope, found ways to fix or work around them. I'm linking to an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4. My carrier is Verizon.

So I'm thinking a new thread on this topic would be useful!

Here's what I've got so far:

1. THE DISAPPEARING PHONE BOOK. My system is set to sync my phone contacts to the HFL phone book. Sometimes it actually does this, but not infrequently I try to use the phone and find that the phone book on my car is empty. Resyncing the phone doesn't seem to help, nor telling it to reload the phone book. But after trying these several times, and sometimes shutting off the car and restarting, the phone book will miraculously reappear. Strangely, even when the phone book is not showing I can still make calls if I dial from the phone handset or the touchpad on the car. I can also receive calls and get the caller id readout. Very odd, buggy behavior.

2. INABILITY TO SEND STANDARD TEXT MESSAGES. I can receive text messages just fine, but every time I try to use one of the standard responses (e.g., I'm driving and will call you later; I'm on my way; OK; Yes; No; etc.) I get an error message that my text failed to send. Would love to use this feature.

3. AUDIO SYSTEM OFTEN FORGETS STATION. I frequently listen to XM satellite radio while driving. Most times when I turn the car off, it remembers the station I was on when it restarts...but about once every five time it will start up on the FM band preset one even though it was on XM when I shut it down.

I've worked with technology long enough to know and accept that bugginess is part of the experience, but part of the challenge is finding and fixing the bugs. Maybe together we can do it!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
With regard to the phonebook issue and any other issue involving phones, bluetooth, etc., I've read several times that you should have your phone on, bluetooth set to on, and cellular data on before you start the car. I'm trying to make it a habit to do this before I even go out to the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think the media should put Honda on blast for building a shitty interface. I've had this car for nearly a year, not a single update, but oh we can use Siri now with a steering wheel button and you're gonna have to pay to get it. Do you remember all the bad press MyFordTouch got when it debuted. I got two updates in one year for a Lincoln, and I was able to update it myself for free with a flash drive. This car is great in every sense except for the head unit. So many problems, and the only solution is to restart the car and that problem is solved only for another problem to start.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think the media should put Honda on blast for building a shitty interface. I've had this car for nearly a year, not a single update, but oh we can use Siri now with a steering wheel button and you're gonna have to pay to get it. Do you remember all the bad press MyFordTouch got when it debuted. I got two updates in one year for a Lincoln, and I was able to update it myself for free with a flash drive. This car is great in every sense except for the head unit. So many problems, and the only solution is to restart the car and that problem is solved only for another problem to start.
Agreed. The Hondalink app is also atrocious and hasn't been updated in months. You know something is seriously screwed up when even a 15 year old kid who develops an amateur app focuses more energy and attention on their product than a billion dollar company does.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
#2, the text msg system is a joke. Best bet if to get the Siri eyes free update.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone actually got the Siri eyes free update? Does it work, or it is just another layer of buggy software? What does Honda charge to install it?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Have you gotten the audio update? There is also an HFL update. Both are TSB and you can find them on the sticky pages here. I tried to get the HFL update last visit and my service guy told me there were no problems so they didn't update. I said "so I can't just have the latest software?" What a joke...if you issue new software, just give it to everyone in the VIN range. I got the audio update at the dealer I bought the car from...they never give me any grief.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the car in October 2013...it's a 2014 Accord. Wasn't aware of an HFL update...when did they roll it out....maybe mine has it already? Is there a way to check the version that's in my car now? Sorry for all the questions..I'm kinda new to the forum and am not at all sure what a "sticky" is...thanks!

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just "chatted" with an after-hours service rep online, and am set up for a call back from the dealership where I purchased the car to get info on the Siri Eyes Free. We'll see...will report back...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I bought the car in October 2013...it's a 2014 Accord. Wasn't aware of an HFL update...when did they roll it out....maybe mine has it already? Is there a way to check the version that's in my car now? Sorry for all the questions..I'm kinda new to the forum and am not at all sure what a "sticky" is...thanks!
On each page of the 9th gen forum, the threads that are always there at the top. There is one that is for TSB's.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FIXED: HondaLink aha won't connect after latest iPhone OS upgrade.

Updated my iPhone to the new OS just rolled out by Applie (iOS 7.0.6) yesterday, and it promptly broke my HondaLink aha. Wouldn't connect. Tried the simple fix first and it worked. Just reset my iPhone (held the lock button and home button till the apple logo appeared on the screen, and then just let it do its reset thing).

Thought I'd share in case anyone else experienced this after the OS upgrade...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my 2014 EX-L V6 with navi since October. While I generally love the electronics (HFL, navi, audio, etc.) system, it's got some annoying bugs that I hope others may have experienced and, I fervently hope, found ways to fix or work around them. I'm linking to an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4. My carrier is Verizon.

So I'm thinking a new thread on this topic would be useful!

Here's what I've got so far:

1. THE DISAPPEARING PHONE BOOK. My system is set to sync my phone contacts to the HFL phone book. Sometimes it actually does this, but not infrequently I try to use the phone and find that the phone book on my car is empty. Resyncing the phone doesn't seem to help, nor telling it to reload the phone book. But after trying these several times, and sometimes shutting off the car and restarting, the phone book will miraculously reappear. Strangely, even when the phone book is not showing I can still make calls if I dial from the phone handset or the touchpad on the car. I can also receive calls and get the caller id readout. Very odd, buggy behavior.

2. INABILITY TO SEND STANDARD TEXT MESSAGES. I can receive text messages just fine, but every time I try to use one of the standard responses (e.g., I'm driving and will call you later; I'm on my way; OK; Yes; No; etc.) I get an error message that my text failed to send. Would love to use this feature.

3. AUDIO SYSTEM OFTEN FORGETS STATION. I frequently listen to XM satellite radio while driving. Most times when I turn the car off, it remembers the station I was on when it restarts...but about once every five time it will start up on the FM band preset one even though it was on XM when I shut it down.

I've worked with technology long enough to know and accept that bugginess is part of the experience, but part of the challenge is finding and fixing the bugs. Maybe together we can do it!
I have a 2013, with the same phone and carrier. I am having the same problems as you are. Please let us know if you have talked to your dealer about this. I have to say that I am extremely disappointed in this generation's HFL and navigation. I find it very difficult to use, and not at all intuitive.

While I am on the subject, has anybody had issues with the GPS? Particularly the trip time remaining estimate? I was driving 75 mph on I80 to a destination 120 miles away and it shoots me a 2:45 time remaining. Pretty sad when free apps on your phone outclass this system!

·
2014 Accord V6 Touring
227 Posts
Have you gotten the audio update? There is also an HFL update. Both are TSB and you can find them on the sticky pages here. I tried to get the HFL update last visit and my service guy told me there were no problems so they didn't update. I said "so I can't just have the latest software?" What a joke...if you issue new software, just give it to everyone in the VIN range. I got the audio update at the dealer I bought the car from...they never give me any grief.
he's right. you need to complain about an issue for them to fix it. its nice to have a technician as a friend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone actually got the Siri eyes free update? Does it work, or it is just another layer of buggy software? What does Honda charge to install it?
I just had it done on my 2013 Accord EX-L and it took the dealer 2 tries to get it to work. It works great...very easy to send text messages by pushing the steering wheel button and telling Siri to send a message. Siri will read back my emails and texts as they come in if I ask. Siri will tell you directions to get to a place and I can see the map on my phone but since I have navigation already, I don't bother with Siri. You can call up individual songs on my iPhone with Siri, which I like. My dealer did it for free for me since I buy a lot of cars from them, and also since I was the first one to have it done. They said they would charge others 1 hour labor to do it ($120? maybe). I really like it. Occasionally the Siri voice is distorted a bit, but most of the time it's perfect. While Siri is talking, you can also use the up/down steering wheel controls to adjust the volume. It seems to remember the last volume used. When you hold down the steering wheel button to get Siri, it usually takes about 4-5 seconds (maybe a bit less) to get Siri to speak. I wish it were a bit quicker to react, but I'll get used to it. I got Siri to multiply and divide numbers (she figures out my actual gas mileage for me...he he); answer the "Meaning of Life"; weather forecast; sports scores. Siri does just about everything through the car as she does strictly on the phone including setting alarms and reminders.

I would have paid for the update...I think it's worth it.

·
Now U C me, now U don't
3 Posts
Anyone figured out how to solve the text message send issue described in earlier post?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I've got the Droid Razr Maxx... and I also have issues with my phone book being unavailable from time to time. I also have issues with my screens jumping from one setting to another..ie. the other day going from Navi to phone..
have you found any solutions?
Scott
Atlanta Ga.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts