Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 4 cyl auto with 95k miles. Recently having trouble starting again almost immediately shutting the car off. Car cranks for a while like no fuel is being delivered. Have to pump the gas pedal several times to start.

Car has new battery, new plugs, new alternator and a recent induction cleaning.
I do hear the fuel pump priming with the key engaged

Any ideas? Bad fuel pump or pressure regulator? Car runs fine after starting.

Thanks

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
The dealership changed the pressure regulator on my V6 when it was still under warranty. It would crank for a while without starting, then would stumble for a couple seconds when it did start. Other times it would start up fine. My car would do this even if the engine was cold though. I don't know how you would test the regulator. The regulator is inside the fuel tank with the pump, on the V6, so I'm sure that's where it is on your car too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every once in a while it will do it when cold.
Ill head to the dealer and see what they say. Seems like a fuel problem.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I would suspect the coolant temperature sensor, as it may be giving bad information to the ECM or possibly a bad intake temperature sensor. There are 2 temperature sensors ECT-1 on the back of the cylinder head and that is used for the Temp gauge on the dash, and ECT-2 which sits in the bottom of the radiator.

You could rent a fuel pressure tester from autozone and check the fuel pressure yourself.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Would either set off a check engine light? Have none showing.
If the coolant sensor was totally shorted or registering as open it would come up code P2183 or 2185. The intake temperature issues would be P0112 or P0113.

It could be the temp sensor has not gotten that bad, easy to check with an OBDII tool that reads the PIDs associated with those sensors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts