Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started noticing that the driver'd door would be hard to open, especialy if left in direst sunlight. I went to the dealer and they repaired under warranty as expected. Noticed on the work order S/B 09-046 which I gues refers to a service bulletin, but since that part of the DA site is down, I can't verify. Has anyone else had this problem? :dunno:

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,639 Posts
It happened to me, I had them replace the door handle, but the TSB says to straight out the sheet metal and that the handle is hitting inside the door panel. I haven't had any issues since they replaced the handle but I believe the correct fix would have been to straighten out the sheet metal that the handle was hitting.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It happened to me, I had them replace the door handle, but the TSB says to straight out the sheet metal and that the handle is hitting inside the door panel. I haven't had any issues since they replaced the handle but I believe the correct fix would have been to straighten out the sheet metal that the handle was hitting.
I seem to recall reading that TSB, but I can't remember if it applied to both coupes and sedans. Don't think it was the door handle though as it was hard to open from the inside as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have this exact same problem, opening outside when the sunlight is directly on it, is hard. With the AC on, the inside handle is nearly impossible to open too.

Ksills, after the warrenty work, did it fix your problem?

·
Registered
108 Posts
ksills,
the address I used to find honda service news letters (tsbs) now comes up as "linkdeny". However, 'techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/sb/A09-046' shows as tsb for 08-09 Odyssey sliding door center seal torn or worn. By the way, just noticed my front driver's door was "stuck" yesterday (opened right up on second attempt). Hope it was just a fluke.

·
1,639 Posts
I seem to recall reading that TSB, but I can't remember if it applied to both coupes and sedans. Don't think it was the door handle though as it was hard to open from the inside as well.
The TSB was for sedans, but it obviously has happened to our coupes as well. I only had issues opening the handle from the outside of the car, the TSB showed that the handle would hit a piece of sheet metal inside of the door between the door panel and the metal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
tommypenquin,
any chance you have a link or copy regarding that tsb? Have relatives in Estes Park, at the foot of the rockies, beautiful place.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My '09 Accord Coupe has this issue as well. Glad I'm not the only one with the issue. It definetly has something to do with heat. Only happens on really really hot days. What do I tell the dealer?

·
1,639 Posts
tommypenquin,
any chance you have a link or copy regarding that tsb? Have relatives in Estes Park, at the foot of the rockies, beautiful place.
I love Colorado, so many beautiful places to go. Here you go, I spent 5 minutes looking on our forum using the search engine and couldn't find it, typed the same thing in google and it found it on our forum in a couple seconds. Google search engine is awesome.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21428

·
Registered
410 Posts
Been there, done that. TSB says to bend the sheet metal back. I am going back again soon to get the same issue fixed for a second time. (Like bending the sheet metal was going to last). I guess they need something to keep failing after the warranty is up so they can keep making money, instead of fixing it properly.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have this exact same problem, opening outside when the sunlight is directly on it, is hard. With the AC on, the inside handle is nearly impossible to open too.

Ksills, after the warrenty work, did it fix your problem?
Yes, seems to be perfect now. Time will tell. Saving my work receipts in case it happens after warranty.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ksills,
the address I used to find honda service news letters (tsbs) now comes up as "linkdeny". However, 'techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/sb/A09-046' shows as tsb for 08-09 Odyssey sliding door center seal torn or worn. By the way, just noticed my front driver's door was "stuck" yesterday (opened right up on second attempt). Hope it was just a fluke.
Bennj,
That's exactly how it starts. Soon it will happen more frequently, but with no rhime or reason. Gets worse in the heat and direct sunlight.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My '09 Accord Coupe has this issue as well. Glad I'm not the only one with the issue. It definetly has something to do with heat. Only happens on really really hot days. What do I tell the dealer?
Tell him just that. It is a common problem and my dealer was not surprised when I mentioned it.

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
So this is a mechanical issue?

A few years back, the Ody had an issue with the sliding doors sticking and Honda's fix was to keep the seals lubed with Shin Etsu grease. If heat/sun is a factor, maybe the door seals are sticking? The 7th gen had an issue with hard seals that squeaked relentlessly unless they were lubed. If the 8th gen's seals are too soft, maybe they're sticking.

Just a thought...

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since metal expands when hot and the ptoblem seems to happen most when the door is hot, seems like a mechanical problem as outlined in the TSB is the most likely answer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Son of a btch...I thought it was just me. I've had this occur twice and I thought nothing of it...Damn it. Had yet to have an issue with the car that's why I thought everything okay..thought it was a fluke or something. I did notice that this happened during the heat wave days here in NYC. Gonna print out that TSB now....thanks guys.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Son of a btch...I thought it was just me. I've had this occur twice and I thought nothing of it...Damn it. Had yet to have an issue with the car that's why I thought everything okay..thought it was a fluke or something. I did notice that this happened during the heat wave days here in NYC. Gonna print out that TSB now....thanks guys.
I guess everyone, including myself had the same reaction. Where in the city are you?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts