Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating selling my 2021 Sport, I never drive it and we don't need it. First hint is its 18 months old and has around 8000.
They both said they would give me around 30K but wonder if it's a bait and switch type deal?
" oh you said its blue , well its really dark purpleblue so $26K" type stuff.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Father in law just sold his 2013 Subaru Forester which was NOT in that great condition for 15k to CarMax. CarFax was NOT clean on that sucker either and I thought they would surely knock off the price they gave him over the phone. But they are desperate for inventory these days, so he got his cash in full. No BS.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I helped my daughter sell a 2016 Corolla to CarMax last year. The offer from Carvana was actually a little higher but I preferred working with the local Carmax in my town rather than over the internet. Carmax paid exactly what they quoted.

·
Honda Newb
252 Posts
I saw an interesting interview with the CEO of I think Carvana recently. He said they fully expect to not make money on all of their transactions and that they think of their used car inventory as kind of like a stock portfolio. Some you bought high, some you bought low. Some they'll sell at a profit but some will be a loss. They pretty much trust their algorithm and pay what it says to pay. Overall of course they expect the entire portfolio to go up but if they lose money on an individual car here and there they don't really care.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback..Carvana and carmax were both around 29,500 but KBB said $30k.
Still debating but seems like prices have dropped down some in the last few months, one time Carvana said $33,500

·
Registered
2019 Platinum Pearl White 2.0 Sport 6MT
316 Posts
Did you have your local dealer take a look too? When i sold my old hyundai carmax came in a good $2k less than what the dealership wound up offering me.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you have your local dealer take a look too? When i sold my old hyundai carmax came in a good $2k less than what the dealership wound up offering me.
I may email them and see if they want to buy it..I looked at the dealerships page and it said " cars like yours sell for $21K to 29K" so I closed it :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sold 2 (BMW 3 Series, X5) to CarMax and 1 (Honda Civic) to Car Sense now called Car Shop) and they paid the offered value, no questions asked. An Audi dealer (SQ5) on the other hand paid less to what others offered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sold our 2018 Audi Q5 with 82K miles on it to CarMax about 5 months ago for right at 67% of what we paid for it new. Got an online quote and didn't really believe it, so I took it in to be appraised and they honored the online quote. Easy transaction. Carvana offered just over half of the CarMax quote. Dealers were offering $5 to 6000 less than CarMax.

·
Honda Fanboy
2022 Accord Sport
237 Posts
Yep sold my 2021 accord hybrid to caravana for $5500 more than I paid new. Lol.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had offers from Carmax of 29,500 for my '21 Sport 2.0T with 21k on it. KBB offer was 31,500 and the dealership matched it when I traded it in last month. I don't think Carmax or Carvana are always the highest, but their algorithms might just decide they want your car more than other models, so it never hurts to evaluate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had offers from Carmax of 29,500 for my '21 Sport 2.0T with 21k on it. KBB offer was 31,500 and the dealership matched it when I traded it in last month. I don't think Carmax or Carvana are always the highest, but their algorithms might just decide they want your car more than other models, so it never hurts to evaluate.
It really does vary greatly. I sold my sportage at the height of the "shortage" for its original MSRP despite being 3 years old and having almost 30k miles on it.

But, KBB might also be slow to recognize the lower used car worth. It has been dropping pretty quickly. I think most dealers use NADA over KBB anyway. I know my '19 Accord was damn near $34k in April, and I waited it out until it was $29.5k to actually buy it in September. Still too much, but that's a 5k down payment basically for free lol.

I digress. Point is, car prices might be dropping faster than KBB can keep up and $29.5k might be it's actual value with the dealership matching because inventory turnaround sometimes is more important than profit. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Touring - Pearl White/Ivory
23 Posts
I am debating selling my 2021 Sport, I never drive it and we don't need it. First hint is its 18 months old and has around 8000.
They both said they would give me around 30K but wonder if it's a bait and switch type deal?
" oh you said its blue , well its really dark purpleblue so $26K" type stuff.
You should try a couple of Honda dealers just to see if car max offer is competitive. My cousin just sold her off lease 19 Alfa Stelio and car max offered her $28,000 but the local Alfa gave her $32K. $4K in here pocket not Car Max’s..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts