Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey has anyone tinted there own windows on a coupe? Me and a few buddies were thinking we can do it.We removed the tint on a bmw coupe and it went pretty well.

·
┐(´ー` )┌
441 Posts
I've never done it, but i think removing is easier. At least for the front and sides.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Its not that hard to do, I haven't done it personally. But what you have when you pay to get it done is warranty. Say it starts to bubble where its not supposed to be or w.e other issue, you can come back and get it redone. If you mess up you will need to spend money over and over to fix it

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey has anyone tinted there own windows on a coupe? Me and a few buddies were thinking we can do it.We removed the tint on a bmw coupe and it went pretty well.
I have watched several cars being tinted in the past, it takes some work.

It is much easier to remove tint than to install it.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Like many things, practice tends to make it perfect, and there's got to be some little tricks to a good tinting job, as an example, to ensure the film fits the curveture of the rear window and to conform to all the defrosting elements is one thing I'd soon someone else does it so that it is done right the first time.

My time is worth money too!

·
Registered
188 Posts
it is not easy. if you have a friend, expect 2-3hrs since its your 1st time, alone it would take 4-5 hrs alone. you need a exact pen knife, rubbing alcohol. a spatula flattening tool thingy to smoothe out bubbles, a heat gun, infrared heats best, heavy duty hair dryers work too. whether u have sedan or coupe makes a diff, of course, in time. for soemthing that makes your car look sooo much diff & better, id spend 120 buxx & have a pro do it & get the warranty like someone said. having done it once, i wont ever do it again. it turned out almost perfect except for a sliver i missed or under covered on the rear windshield. but, i had no bubbling. also, know you have to cure the tint after applied. no water, washing, or rolling windows down for 2 days. sun helps a great deal to rid the tiny bubbles & bake the tint on permanently.

·
NJDR
862 Posts
one thing thats not worth doing yourself ... only thing i had done on my car ... not worth my time or paitence

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
It took me a couple of hours trying to put overlays on my headlights, and it was already cutout to fit heh so I'll say it's not easy at all. Better to spend 150-200 to get it professionally done.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
it took me a couple of hours trying to put overlays on my headlights, and it was already cutout to fit heh so i'll say it's not easy at all. Better to spend 150-200 to get it professionally done.
amen...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2010 black EX-L and was about to have the windows tinted but got cold feet when they said they were going to be pulling the interior door panels off. Is there anything to be concerned about?

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Nope, they are likely just installing "mole-skin" properly to avoid the tint scratching against the unprotected plastic surface the window normally glides against.

My tint shop had to do this after the mole-skin they installed the first time didn't adhere properly, turned up in one corner and scratched the tint film after a few months.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I tired it and failed sooo many times... lol first I tried to cut my own tint and tint it.. Fail.. Then I bought the kit on ebay and Fail... I give props to people who know how to tint. Its not as easy as it looks

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I tired it and failed sooo many times... lol first I tried to cut my own tint and tint it.. Fail.. Then I bought the kit on ebay and Fail... I give props to people who know how to tint. Its not as easy as it looks
It's not worth it. I'd figure you learned your lesson once not twice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts