Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this on your 2.0T? I didn't find anything doing a search. If you used it, did you run it through a vacuum line or somewhere else?

·
HK Moderator
13,625 Posts
Why? What does this product do? What is the problem that it is supposed to fix? Are 2.0T turbos getting dirty? How often should we clean a 2.0T turbo?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used this in my 1.5T and I sprayed pre turbo but after the MAF as the instructions indicate. It did feel like the car idled better afterwards, but not too significant of a change otherwise. I had between 9,000 and 10,000 miles when I performed the cleaning. I plan to do this annually as PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
The setup is different on the civic. Just went out and took a picture, see red arrow for where I inserted the straw. I just took the tube lose enough to get the straw in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting that photo!

Why? What does this product do? What is the problem that it is supposed to fix? Are 2.0T turbos getting dirty? How often should we clean a 2.0T turbo?
I'm not worried about the turbo but I am worried about carbon build up on the valves.

Does anyone know of a vacuum line I can use for this cleaner?

·
Registered
25 Posts
No problem... I was debating if running the cleaner through a vacuum line would have greater effect, but I wanted it to clean the entire intake system including the turbo. Was considering doing it twice once before the turbo and once after. Probably overkill though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not worried about the turbo but I am worried about carbon build up on the valves.
Good choice regarding the brand (CRC), IMHO. I have to wonder, however, whether Honda's 1.5 & 2.0 turbocharged engines -- in addition to their fuel dilution issues, which seem to be intractable -- will also experience the fuel-injector contamination problem that seems to be an issue with (some unknown percentage) of the 3.5L V-6s? CRC's fuel-injection cleaner (essentially the same stuff as the intake cleaner) has been recommended repeatedly on the Pilot and Ridgeline boards. IMHO, both issues can be addressed, if not resolved entirely, by using gasoline with a greater percentage of chemical additives intended to address these very issues. (There's a name for this category of fuels, of course, but using the term on the board tends of cause a significant percentage of posters to become apoplectic, so I'll avoid it.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a mechanic take a look at it and was able to you the PCV line into the intake for the CRC cleaner.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The setup is different on the civic. Just went out and took a picture, see red arrow for where I inserted the straw. I just took the tube lose enough to get the straw in there.

You are spraying into the intake side of the turbo. The CRC will be going through the inter cooler. That side of the turbo should be clean if your air cleaner is clean. You want to clean the intake valves and the exhaust side of the turbo. A vacuum line would work better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is this necessary? Should we do it periodically?

You are spraying into the intake side of the turbo. The CRC will be going through the inter cooler. That side of the turbo should be clean if your air cleaner is clean. You want to clean the intake valves and the exhaust side of the turbo. A vacuum line would work better.
Where is the vacuum line location, please?!

I have accord 1.5 turbo

thanks

·
Need some LSD...
82 Posts
There are numerous vacuum lines coming from the intake manifold...pop your hood and start tracing the rubber hoses back to the intake manifold. Some have a one way check valve that could prevent the fluid from being sucked into the engine. you want one that breathes in when engine is running.

You can pull them away momentarily when the car is idling and see if it is a vacuum source. Don't be afraid....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would like to eventually do this to my 2.0. Which vacuum line can I use? I currently have a catch can installed, is one of those hoses a vacuum line?

Pardon my ignorance, but aside from minor things like oil changes, tire rotations, etc. I'm not really mechanically inclined when it comes to cars.

Would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would like to eventually do this to my 2.0. Which vacuum line can I use? I currently have a catch can installed, is one of those hoses a vacuum line?

Pardon my ignorance, but aside from minor things like oil changes, tire rotations, etc. I'm not really mechanically inclined when it comes to cars.

Would appreciate the help.
I can help you when you want to do it but if your using premium fuel every tank it's a waste. It also is not going to clean your valves whatsoever because it's a direct injection vehicle. Without getting too technical they inject fuel differently so these products simply don't work. Save your money and switch to midgrade or premium fuel

·
Elvira - the car
3,427 Posts
I can help you when you want to do it but if your using premium fuel every tank it's a waste. It also is not going to clean your valves whatsoever because it's a direct injection vehicle. Without getting too technical they inject fuel differently so these products simply don't work. Save your money and switch to midgrade or premium fuel
"so these products simply don't work." would be a true statement IF this was a fuel additive you dump in the fuel tank like a fuel injector cleaner. THAT type (fuel additive) on / in a GDI will not work as you know because it won't wash past the intake valves as in MPI.

This intake air/ GDI cleaner mixture DOES flow past the intake valves if injected into the proper area, namely the intake manifold where it would wash across the dirty valves. For those unfamiliar with GDI this cleaner doesn't go through the fuel injectors which are after the intake valves.

VERY informative video directly from CRC and this product......kinda long at 15 minutes but worth the time.

How to use this product starts at 10 minutes in.

Remember this IS an advertisement to shops from CRC so ........

Also, I can't speak to the efficacy of the product but I trust CRC to produce a good product IMHO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"so these products simply don't work." would be a true statement IF this was a fuel additive you dump in the fuel tank like a fuel injector cleaner. THAT type (fuel additive) on / in a GDI will not work as you know because it won't wash past the intake valves as in MPI.

This intake air/ GDI cleaner mixture DOES flow past the intake valves if injected into the proper area, namely the intake manifold where it would wash across the dirty valves. For those unfamiliar with GDI this cleaner doesn't go through the fuel injectors which are after the intake valves.

VERY informative video directly from CRC and this product......kinda long at 15 minutes but worth the time.

How to use this product starts at 10 minutes in.

Remember this IS an advertisement to shops from CRC so ........
No it's a true statement period. I am very well aware of all these products, of which there are many they all do the same thing, and have used them for 20 years. I have tried such products with sucking them into the intake. Just my experience from 12 years of having a DI engine and being very active in the car community. Unless they invented some magic new type of solvent. These products will reduce some of the build up, but if the build up is heavy, they don't do much. The key for these products, Seafoam, Fuel Cleanz, ect, to work properly they should be used every 10k miles or so. If you are having problems due to carbon build up, your valves need to be scraped clean.
Edit: if you really want to get a good clean you absolutely should suck it into the intake and add it to the fuel tank as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts