Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to even out the sub par paint job that comes from the factory. Even the black sedan which looks much better then my WOP coupe still had noticeable peel upon closer looks. I haven't decided whether or not to wet sand or just try polish and see how much smoother I can get it just with that.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
If you have orange peel - polish will not fix that problem. You will have to wet sand - but be careful or you will go through the clear and into the color coat - then it will be ugly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have orange peel - polish will not fix that problem. You will have to wet sand - but be careful or you will go through the clear and into the color coat - then it will be ugly.
It won't be myself doing it as i don't have the experience or tools but i've been told polish can often help lessen the orange peel but rarely eliminate it. Was just curious if anyone had done either and had experience with the quality of the oem paint

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
I've done small areas to remove white scratches from my 8th gen accord... very nerve wrecking... I wouldn't do it unless I had a scratch to remove... but the clear coat is thick enough for you to do it... sure. I would have a pro measure the paint density first.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've done small areas to remove white scratches from my 8th gen accord... very nerve wrecking... I wouldn't do it unless I had a scratch to remove... but the clear coat is thick enough for you to do it... sure. I would have a pro measure the paint density first.
I wouldn't wet sand to remove even moderate scratches. Check out Chemical Guys Optical Polishes, they are excellent. They sell a sample pack of 4 different levels of compounds and polishes on Amazon if you want to try them out. You really need a dual action polisher with the proper pads to get professional results though.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The paint on these cars is horrible. Flimsy, cheap and so delicate, that you can mess up the finish with minimal effort. I've had scratches appear on my car that I'm still scratching my head about.

The paint in my '04 was a lot more durable.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Your best bet is to just live with the orange peel. It's a mainstream family sedan/coupe. It
Is really nothing special, therefore the paint is going to be average at best and you may be causing more harm than good by trying to fix it. I doubt there is enough clear coat on these cars to sustain enough wetsanding to level the finish. Polish it up real nice, add a few coats of synthetic sealant and just maintain it. Any more than that and you are pushing it, IMO.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The paint on these cars is horrible. Flimsy, cheap and so delicate, that you can mess up the finish with minimal effort. The paint in my '04 was a lot more durable.
The paint on my 2007 Chrysler T&C and my 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan have been 200% better than the paint on all my Hondas. Why?
The Chrysler Billet Silver is deep, glossy and hard as glass.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The paint on these cars is horrible. Flimsy, cheap and so delicate, that you can mess up the finish with minimal effort. I've had scratches appear on my car that I'm still scratching my head about.

The paint in my '04 was a lot more durable.
My first import, and I agree . I have a bunch of white scratches that appear out of nowhere. in all kinds of different spots.
meh

·
2014 Accord EX-L Coupe
353 Posts
Your best bet is to just live with the orange peel. It's a mainstream family sedan/coupe. It
Is really nothing special, therefore the paint is going to be average at best and you may be causing more harm than good by trying to fix it. I doubt there is enough clear coat on these cars to sustain enough wetsanding to level the finish. Polish it up real nice, add a few coats of synthetic sealant and just maintain it. Any more than that and you are pushing it, IMO.
Totally agree. A few years down the road and that clear coat could just "break" if it doesn't already during the "fix". That will cost bucks to repair as it fades away really fast spreading to a wider area. Normally a good shop will repair the paint then reapply clear coat to prevent this.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Honda probably puts the thinnest coat of clear on that they can. Wouldn't not wet sand.

I'm worried about going over it with Menzerna P1500 and an orange pad....but that's the only agressive level I've found that will work out the micro scratches that have developed with age (even hand washing and all that...sand, rocks, etc scratch the paint).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm pretty new to self detailing so pardon my ignorance...

Why would somebody need to sand the paint on a relatively new car?
To reduce the "orange peel" effect that most new cars have nowadays. If you look at the paint in certain light, the surface can appear slightly bumpy or wavy, looking much like the skin of an orange. Not something a "normal" user would either notice or care about.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is what I was thinking, will a good dual stage polish and seal help the peel at all?

To reduce the "orange peel" effect that most new cars have nowadays. If you look at the paint in certain light, the surface can appear slightly bumpy or wavy, looking much like the skin of an orange. Not something a "normal" user would either notice or care about.
I'd say i'm a normal driver but I just like my investment to look it's best, otherwise why even bother spending the money on a car that looks good. I've had imports pretty much exclusively and the s2000 and mitsubishi paint was much much better. Prelude is hard to say but this accord certainly seems to be the worst considering it's 5 months old and already has as many paint chips as my mitsu did in 7 years.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Here's what orange peel looks like:

The blurriness is orange peel. This was after the paint was detailed and had sealant applied over it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If the clear coats are as thin as people say, I wouldn't color sand it at all.
The orange peel is too much paint (possibly on an over lap) but too much base paint doesn't mean too much clear coat.

Unless its a show car, I really wouldn't mess with it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If the clear coats are as thin as people say, I wouldn't color sand it at all.
The orange peel is too much paint (possibly on an over lap) but too much base paint doesn't mean too much clear coat.

Unless its a show car, I really wouldn't mess with it.
This is actually not the case, drip marks would be paint. Not orange peel. Peel is from uneven clear most of the time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts