Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure do. I'm not sure what it's like on non-nav, but the nav version was driving me insane with the way it'd sort my folders/files.

So, I found a solution. First, I'll explain the problem though. The reason your files and folders would seemingly be in a completely random order, is because they're actually sorted by the "creation date" (the order in which they were added to the USB.) This does not mean you need to add the files one by one to make sure they're in order, however.
After a lot of searching, I found a simple tool called DriveSort can sort your drive alphabetically or manually.

I'm still playing with it, but it's solved most of my issues.
As an example, let's say you have 3 albums from an artist and you want to be able to play them in order. First, you must rename all the filenames so they will be in the proper track order when sorted alphabetically. This pretty much means the track number needs to be included in the filename. You can name the file something like in a format like "<Artist> <Album> <Track#> <Song Title>" or just "<Track#> <Song Title>". Anything you want, as long as all the files have the same titling up until the track number; this is to ensure that the track number is the thing that's actually being sorting alphanumerically.

Renaming your files can be done quickly and easily with something like MediaMonkey, which has an "auto organize" function that will use the mp3 tags to rename all your files automatically in whatever way you choose.

I'm sure this'll help a few you of you who're trying to use a USB drive for music; I still can't believe Honda used creation date to sort files/folders without offering different options. Nothing like offering a great feature and making it completely impossible to use for the average customer!

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still debating on finding a way to make an Ipod recognize a flash drive. I expect things would run much smoother, and I think I heard somewhere that you can use playlists that way.

Anyone ever use an Apple product with the 2013 Navi? I need some details on how it works before I go make the purchase. I really dislike the idea of paying what Apple demands for devices with lots of storage space. As it stands, I need a minimum of 256GB for my music collection.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
I sure do. I'm not sure what it's like on non-nav, but the nav version was driving me insane with the way it'd sort my folders/files.

So, I found a solution. First, I'll explain the problem though. The reason your files and folders would seemingly be in a completely random order, is because they're actually sorted by the "creation date" (the order in which they were added to the USB.) This does not mean you need to add the files one by one to make sure they're in order, however.
After a lot of searching, I found a simple tool called DriveSort can sort your drive alphabetically or manually.

I'm still playing with it, but it's solved most of my issues.
As an example, let's say you have 3 albums from an artist and you want to be able to play them in order. First, you must rename all the filenames so they will be in the proper track order when sorted alphabetically. This pretty much means the track number needs to be included in the filename. You can name the file something like in a format like "<Artist> <Album> <Track#> <Song Title>" or just "<Track#> <Song Title>". Anything you want, as long as all the files have the same titling up until the track number; this is to ensure that the track number is the thing that's actually being sorting alphanumerically.

Renaming your files can be done quickly and easily with something like MediaMonkey, which has an "auto organize" function that will use the mp3 tags to rename all your files automatically in whatever way you choose.

I'm sure this'll help a few you of you who're trying to use a USB drive for music; I still can't believe Honda used creation date to sort files/folders without offering different options. Nothing like offering a great feature and making it completely impossible to use for the average customer!

Thanks though! lol. I'll be picking up a 32 or 64Gb mini-usb here in the next few days to use for music.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
I'm still debating on finding a way to make an Ipod recognize a flash drive. I expect things would run much smoother, and I think I heard somewhere that you can use playlists that way.

Anyone ever use an Apple product with the 2013 Navi? I need some details on how it works before I go make the purchase. I really dislike the idea of paying what Apple demands for devices with lots of storage space. As it stands, I need a minimum of 256GB for my music collection.
What about an external HDD with a USB connection?

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think an Ipod/Iphone is more likely to pick up an external USB flash drive than a HDD. But yeah, I'm using a 1.5TB HDD formatted to FAT32 at the moment via the Accord's USB, as well as a 64GB microSD with adapter. Lots of options, but I suspect Ipod/Iphone is the most seemless for navigating folders and playlists. I seem to remember hearing someone say you can use playlists and folders with Apple products when you're connected via USB. With USB storage devices, you can only single level subdirectories. I'd like to have something like this:
ROOT:
Albums\Artists\Album Name\CD1\(Files inside)
But the way things work right now, creating that many subdirectories will still just open the top folder in your main view in the car... so instead of 201 artists to scroll through, I'd end up with over a thousand albums. As it stands, I have all the album songs together under the artist folder and sorted so they'll go in order.

Anyone who has experience using an Ipod/Iphone with the 2013 Nav care to weigh in?

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Yeah I feel ya. I'd like to be able to do that also. I have non-nav and that's how it's set up I believe.

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More auto makers should just build their nav's around an Android based tablet and be done with it. Can you imagine? A Cortex A15 processor like the one's in current tablets would have the power necessary to do anything the heart desires on a nav for years to come. Honda would probably need to spend about $500 for the hardware, and everything else would be software.

Where the $2000 pricetag for this nav comes from is beyond me.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
More auto makers should just build their nav's around an Android based tablet and be done with it. Can you imagine? A Cortex A15 processor like the one's in current tablets would have the power necessary to do anything the heart desires on a nav for years to come. Honda would probably need to spend about $500 for the hardware, and everything else would be software.
I use both a USB stick or my iPod Touch. Both of them work the same way. I put the songs or albums in folders on my USB stick. The screen displays the folders and songs the same way. My iPod touch does recognize my iPod or my iPad music by album, artist or genre. Apple can do this because there is one standard which is iTunes and everything in the software is the same. Android is the Wild West with music players that handle things differently which makes interfacing with the audio system difficult. You can sync your Android phone via Bluetooth or via USB and play music from that device, maybe.

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure if I'm understanding, here. You're saying both the USB card and iPod touch work the same way, and then you seem to say that iPod displays album, artist or genre properly; do you mean these extra functions are available through the Honda nav, or?

Anyway, what I meant about an Android based nav system is that it could do anything Honda wants it to. Android media players really have nothing to do with compatibility; the Wild West of Android media players isn't so wild, although I can see how it may seem like it is. Once connected, the car is using it's own media player to access the storage device that houses your media. Sorting, handling tags, playists and whatever else is completely up to the nav's media player. Itunes doesn't actually have any standards that assist in compatibility; it uses the exact same industry standards as every other media player. Those standards are audio formats like mp3, playlist formats like m3u, and folder index formats that make it possible for you to see directories the way that Windows, Android, or iOS does. Honda decided it couldn't handle making it's media player compatible with playlist formats or folder formats of any kind; formats that are free to use and have been around for more than a decade. Junior high students know how to create software that recognizes them. I don't think it would've cost them very much money to get someone to program those things into the nav OS, so I'm led to believe they chose not to read playlists or even sort folders by name because it requires a bit of processing power. And I really do mean "a bit." A processor from phones as old as the Galaxy S2 could handle it without breaking a sweat. Seems like they cheaped out big time on computer hardware and the software had to be severely restricted because of it.

Android is open-source, which means Honda could have created the entire nav system on Android without paying any kind of licensing fees to Google. They could have also adapted Google's open source software to work nicely in a vehicle. A few UI tweaks, and Honda could have been using Google navigation, media player, and more. For this to be lightning fast you'd just require about as much processing power as a $400 phone would cost 3 years ago. (It's my only real gripe with the car so far.)

But yeah, tl;dr. I'm just interested in whether or not being connected via USB with Apple products enables things like playlist functionality and better folder recognition through the nav.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm understanding, here. You're saying both the USB card and iPod touch work the same way, and then you seem to say that iPod displays album, artist or genre properly; do you mean these extra functions are available through the Honda nav, or?

Anyway, what I meant about an Android based nav system is that it could do anything Honda wants it to. Android media players really have nothing to do with compatibility; the Wild West of Android media players isn't so wild, although I can see how it may seem like it is. Once connected, the car is using it's own media player to access the storage device that houses your media. Sorting, handling tags, playists and whatever else is completely up to the nav's media player. Itunes doesn't actually have any standards that assist in compatibility; it uses the exact same industry standards as every other media player. Those standards are audio formats like mp3, playlist formats like m3u, and folder index formats that make it possible for you to see directories the way that Windows, Android, or iOS does. Honda decided it couldn't handle making it's media player compatible with playlist formats or folder formats of any kind; formats that are free to use and have been around for more than a decade. Junior high students know how to create software that recognizes them. I don't think it would've cost them very much money to get someone to program those things into the nav OS, so I'm led to believe they chose not to read playlists or even sort folders by name because it requires a bit of processing power. And I really do mean "a bit." A processor from phones as old as the Galaxy S2 could handle it without breaking a sweat. Seems like they cheaped out big time on computer hardware and the software had to be severely restricted because of it.

Android is open-source, which means Honda could have created the entire nav system on Android without paying any kind of licensing fees to Google. They could have also adapted Google's open source software to work nicely in a vehicle. A few UI tweaks, and Honda could have been using Google navigation, media player, and more. For this to be lightning fast you'd just require about as much processing power as a $400 phone would cost 3 years ago. (It's my only real gripe with the car so far.)

But yeah, tl;dr. I'm just interested in whether or not being connected via USB with Apple products enables things like playlist functionality and better folder recognition through the nav.

agreed 10000000%

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

I will get out my stick and let you know how it works. During the hottest part of the summer I didn't want my iPod Touch, second generation i.e., 5 or more years old, to bake all day in the hot interior. The stick is cheaper to replace.

BTW Android is a Google product. While you are navigating or listening Google will gladly run commercials across your screen. :lmao:

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, thanks for the help. I may end up needing to purchase an Ipod just to use as a medium between the iMid and my flash drive if it's much better.

Haha, but no. There are no Google ads while using Android Navigation or listening to music. The only ads you'll see are ones that developers put there. As an open source OS, you can literally make whatever you want out of it for free -- no ads, no nothing required.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Honda could run an Android based car system & integrate XBMC into it to manage music files (including lossless), and offer a powered USB port that could run an external hhd. And then I'd buy one & be in heaven.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Android might be open source but there may be a legal reason why someone like Honda can't take it and use it in their products for their own business use.

As for the USB naming scheme, yeah its a nightmare. Album art is another issue. You can only use 100x100. I use tag scanner to get my ID tags right and change album art size on all my files. Very easy to use.

Another irritation, music search won't search USB :( or at least I can't seem to get it to do it. Looks like a Music CD only type of search. Who makes music CD's anymore? I think the last one I made was in 2000 or late 90's. My first car with a OEM mp3 player was a 2001 Mazda MP3.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Android might be open source but there may be a legal reason why someone like Honda can't take it and use it in their products for their own business use.
I'm sure if there's a will, there's a way (licensing?)

It's just a shame that will all the available tech (SSHDs, FLAC,media controlling programs, etc), not one car company can figure out how to do car audio right...and affordably.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm sure if there's a will, there's a way (licensing?)

It's just a shame that will all the available tech (SSHDs, FLAC,media controlling programs, etc), not one car company can figure out how to do car audio right...and affordably.:dunno:
Oh I agree. A $100 phone is far more capable then a $2000 NAV - that's just sad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What are the Pros/Cons of using a Flash Drive or an iPod. I need about 64 GB worth of music in my car and debating which to go with, Flash drive is obviously cheaper.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What are the Pros/Cons of using a Flash Drive or an iPod. I need about 64 GB worth of music in my car and debating which to go with, Flash drive is obviously cheaper.
There is no Cons I believe, but there is one Pros, which is using the ipod gives you a choice to change the songs from your ipod. :D. You can't do that with you flash drive, if you wanna skip to song number 30 from song number 5, you need to go from 6 all the way through 30 :D....
Sound quality will be no difference I think.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts