Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission slips (hesitates) between 2nd to 3rd, but not always. If you ease into the gas it will not slip. If you accelerate fairly aggressively it will most of the time. No problems with shifting into any other gear.

Is this a sign that the transmission is starting to fail? Could it be just a solenoid going bad?

Have not taken it in to see if there is a code being produced. Transmission was flushed around 120k.

Anyone else experiencing this type of behavior with their 2003 Accord?

·
Banned
47 Posts
Transmission slips (hesitates) between 2nd to 3rd, but not always. If you ease into the gas it will not slip. If you accelerate fairly aggressively it will most of the time. No problems with shifting into any other gear.

Is this a sign that the transmission is starting to fail? Could it be just a solenoid going bad?

Have not taken it in to see if there is a code being produced. Transmission was flushed around 120k.

Anyone else experiencing this type of behavior with their 2003 Accord?
Bring on the cavalry on this one, he said the F word as in Flush. :paranoid:

1. Who did the flush, Honda or 3rd party?
2. have you tried to do a drain and fill, just one to see if issue dissipates?

then and only then can you address the pressure switch or as you put it, shift solenoid

I am experiencing this but only when the fluid is cold upon first startup which is usually mornings and I have *not* done a recent D&F but did do one late in 2012. It sounds to me like you have done drain and fill of your transmission fluid and this issue is persisting, am I right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bring on the cavalry on this one, he said the F word as in Flush. :paranoid:

1. Who did the flush, Honda or 3rd party?
2. have you tried to do a drain and fill, just one to see if issue dissipates?

then and only then can you address the pressure switch or as you put it, shift solenoid

I am experiencing this but only when the fluid is cold upon first startup which is usually mornings and I have *not* done a recent D&F but did do one late in 2012. It sounds to me like you have done drain and fill of your transmission fluid and this issue is persisting, am I right?
1. Third party. Express Oil Change
2. No. Will do so and see what happens

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
1. Third party. Express Oil Change
2. No. Will do so and see what happens

Thanks!
Please do a 3x drain and fill with OEM DW-1 Honda fluid. The flush is never a good idea. Honda recommends drain and fill only on these. If the problem persists replace the 3rd and 4th pressure switches. These are the only steps you can take at this point to hopefully reverse any ill effects.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Please do a 3x drain and fill with OEM DW-1 Honda fluid. The flush is never a good idea. Honda recommends drain and fill only on these. If the problem persists replace the 3rd and 4th pressure switches. These are the only steps you can take at this point to hopefully reverse any ill effects.
thats Not bad advice. but it has been my understanding that once it is doing that, the damage is already done.. clutches worn.. so its not a matter of IF, but WHEN it fails.. but dont take what i say as the final word..

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,676 Posts
You can try doing drain and fills, changing the filter, and changing the pressure switches, and it still might be too late. Your choice, do you want to spend the money and take a chance you can save it? How long has it been slipping? What does the fluid look like right now?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If he ends up having to rebuild, the new pressure switches will still be a fine investment.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
173K on a V6 with a single fluid change, which may have happened to be a damaging flush. Many would say 173K is an accomplishment for a V6, even with good care. If after two drain and fills, there is no difference, I wouldn't do a third. Not being negative but given the circumstances, how much life would be left in it anyway?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sorry to hear this OP.

I have 2003, EXV6 with nearly 138,000 miles. Transmission isn't acting up.

·
Doing trumps "I've read".
110 Posts
Sorry OP

I think your tranny is done. I've been down that road, had a new tranny installed at 180K. The symtoms you describe are often referred to the tranny "flare-up". It never gets better.

·
Registered
804 Posts
173K on a V6 with a single fluid change, which may have happened to be a damaging flush. Many would say 173K is an accomplishment for a V6, even with good care. If after two drain and fills, there is no difference, I wouldn't do a third. Not being negative but given the circumstances, how much life would be left in it anyway?

+1 all day long!! i agree , and im shocked... with that year and a lack of maintenance it made it that far. i wouldnt dump alot of $$$ into a transmission that most would agree has more than one foot in the grave. google the symptoms. you will find enough reading to keep you busy for 2 months.. I dont think its negative to call it the way it is.. . i read something last night about the acura transmissions and how acura was trying to get the bottom of it. it was nothing but depressing .. im starting to thing beside good maintenance its all about the luck of the drawl. you read about guys taking really good care with constant fluid changes, and coolers and switches and they still failed... then someone that did one fluid change and got more mileage.. ill still take the best care of mine that i can. but in the end. (IF) its going to fail, its going to fail no matter what i do ... at least from what i read last night.. where are way more things involved that just keeping the fluid clean and cool...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts