Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Kaua‘i North Shore Boi.Aloha❤️🤙💪😊
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aloha..
So, Last August, after My timing belt episode and replacing all 16 valves, I did ZERO research, and, honestly, was too tired and worn out to care, about the proper way to install a head.
Wrong time to not give a F! lol!
So all I did was wire brush the surfaces pretty good. Bought the graphite version of the head gasket off eBay, and installed. Lasted 9 months! Not terrible, considering.. But, Not good either! So, I'm doing it again, because it deteriorated quickly, and that blue devil shizz worked for maybe a week and clogged all kinds of things.
I used the YouTube method to resurface the head, aka used 3 rolls of clear Scotch tape and used a piece of ply wood, a 1/2 inch thick piece of glass larger than the head, and taped 3 8x11(?) sheets of sandpaper to the glass.. then used the weight of the head as pressure and moved it front back side to side and diagonal, then in figure 8's until it was flat and shiny.. I used 230, 800, and 2000 grit sandpaper.. and lots of WD-40 and pb blaster.. currently putting it back together. It's taking a while because I'm trying to helicoil all the broken bolts.. down to 1 exhaust manifold bolt and all 4 smaller camshaft holder bolts. They snapped like nothing a few years ago. Just finished helicoiling 4 out of 5 valve cover bolts. This 23 year old aluminum head kinda sucks.. Gonna get back to it now! Have a nice day
Aloha ❤🤙💪

Hood Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car
Hood Vehicle Car Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive tire
Automotive tire Floor Automotive design Motor vehicle Flooring

SLUDGE
Fastener Gas Engineering Auto part Screw
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive engine gasket Automotive exterior

I finally found the head coolant drain bolt! lol That's it, left of the oil filter, with the massive washer..
Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Auto part
Cookware and bakeware Audio equipment Motor vehicle Gas Stove

Yup.. Bussing out the DOUBLE coil for that bolt.. Should work.. Aloha 🤙
Ratchet Tool Auto part Metal Wrench

• Wow
Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a pic of My "Head Sander".. lol
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
181 Posts
For you to be taking on such a project, I can only assume that replacement parts are prohibitively expensive in Hawaii. Good luck 🤞

·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For you to be taking on such a project, I can only assume that replacement parts are prohibitively expensive in Hawaii. Good luck 🤞
Thanks Cuz.. Finished it a few days ago.. All Good! A little drip where the coolant pipe enters the thermostat housing.. gotta liquid gasket that one.. But it runs cherry! Oh, and nah, thanks to eBay, wasn't bad..
Aloha ❤🤙💪

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks Cuz.. Finished it a few days ago.. All Good! A little drip where the coolant pipe enters the thermostat housing.. gotta liquid gasket that one.. But it runs cherry! Oh, and nah, thanks to eBay, wasn't bad..
Aloha ❤🤙💪
I assume you replaced the gasket? I just replaced that one and Honda still makes them, only a few dollars.

·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I assume you replaced the gasket? I just replaced that one and Honda still makes them, only a few dollars.
Yes.. Of course. But it leaks with only the gasket. Always has, in the almost 4 years I've owned it. The car was REALLY abused and neglected when I got it. And I tried to bend this pipe (by sticking a smaller pipe inside it and bending) back to how it was, but, it's a B to get the angle perfect.. I tried again before putting it back in.. obviously didn't work. Should have put liquid gasket🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🙇
Aloha

ADDED A PIC. Appropriately, the pipe I'm talking about is called the "Connecting pipe". Haha No leaks after putting liquid gasket! 😊🤙
Aloha
White World Map Font Circle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts