Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing a used 2009 Accord soon. My commute to work requires me to drive rural roads that are not well lit, so I need better headlight bulbs than what Honda provides from the factory.

I know the sizes are 9006 for low beam, 9007 for high beam, and H11 for fog.

Could I get some recommendations on bulbs that are significantly brighter and whiter than the stock bulbs?

Thanks for the help!

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a sedan. Your high beam is actually 9005.

Best upgrades for you:

Low beam: Philips 9012
High beam: Philips 9011
Fog lights: leave stock H11

You will have to make minor modifications to the bayonet mounting tabs of the 9012 and 9011 bulbs to make them fit the Honda headlights but the upgrade is well worth it. Stay away from HID kits because of their general unreliability and the great amounts of glare they give to oncoming traffic.

I say not to upgrade the fog lights because they are pretty crappy fog lights that do nothing for enhancing your vision in anything other than bad weather at low speeds (<20 mph). Fog lights should actually be kept off in all but inclement weather because they will actually hurt your long distance night vision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread here but as a new member I was searching headlight threads. We have a 2012 sedan for our oldest child and the OEM low beams are awful. Lenses are clear so no issue there. Is there a simple plug and play replacement bulb where no mods are needed that will do the trick? or is some type of modification needed to get decent results? zero technical ability on my end so I will likely be bringing it to a shop regardless. thanks in advance

·
Cruising in Montana
4,190 Posts
You want HIR/HIR2 bulbs as stated (indirectly) in Markus' post above. They are not plug & play though, some modification of the lamp base is necessary (knife maybe, Dremel for sure can do it)

Low beam HIR2 = 9012
High beam HIR = 9011

HIR means halogen infrared reflecting. They look like normal clear bulbs but are nearly 2x brighter. Since they run at the same wattage as regular bulbs, there's no extra heat to worry about. They also sell for 2x more than normal bulbs, but last longer too.

Please note: HID and HIR are not the same!

HIR bulb base modification

·
The Keyless-Wonder
494 Posts
You want HIR/HIR2 bulbs as stated (indirectly) in Markus' post above. They are not plug & play though, some modification of the lamp base is necessary (knife maybe, Dremel for sure can do it)

Low beam HIR2 = 9012
High beam HIR = 9011

HIR means halogen infrared reflecting. They look like normal clear bulbs but are nearly 2x brighter. Since they run at the same wattage as regular bulbs, there's no extra heat to worry about. They also sell for 2x more than normal bulbs, but last longer too.

Interesting, I've never really heard about HIR before....

I wonder why the tabs are different...it almost sounds like a safeguard or something...

·
Registered
2 Posts

Low beam HIR2 = 9012
High beam HIR = 9011

I will check these out Thanks and I will look on youtube as I bet the mod is there somewhere I was just hoping to not have to do really anything but plug them in :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts