Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First post, so please go easy on me. After lurking for a few months, I decided to take a stab at a retrofit on my headlights. I just received a set of Morimoto H1 projectors for the project. I just took one of the headlights out of the oven, and separated the outer lens and housing. Here is my question - do I need to also separate the reflector from the housing to do the retrofit? I realize this would be necessary if I was going to paint stuff...but I have no intention of doing so.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi all. First post, so please go easy on me. After lurking for a few months, I decided to take a stab at a retrofit on my headlights. I just received a set of Morimoto H1 projectors for the project. I just took one of the headlights out of the oven, and separated the outer lens and housing. Here is my question - do I need to also separate the reflector from the housing to do the retrofit? I realize this would be necessary if I was going to paint stuff...but I have no intention of doing so.
i'm assuming you have a sedan. you have to take the reflector out of the housing in order to remove the halogen lamp shield in the center of the reflector.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
You don't have to remove the reflector, you can drill a small hole from behind to remove that one screw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes sorry it is a sedan. Thanks for the advice...think I figured it out. Now I just need to figure out a level surface and a white wall somewhere so I can get the aiming right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a new question / concern. I installed the projectors in the following order: projector, small washer, reflector bowl, lock ring, bulb retainer ring, bulb retaining clip. I tightened the lock ring as much as I could...yet the projectors are still not tight to the bowl - they will turn (albeit with some effort). Is this normal? I assume not. What can I do to get the lock ring tighter? I have been using pliers...not sure if a set of vice grips would be better? Would it be better to use the bigger washer? What's your experience? TIA.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Are you using the silicone washer? There should be 2 a thin & thick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i used the smaller of the two rubber washers. I put it around the threads of the projector before i put the projector through the hole in the housing. I did not use the larger washer.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
I would try the thicker silicone washer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i used the thick one i believe...

·
lol wut
436 Posts
Tighten as much as you can but no matter what it will turn if you put your effort into it. That is normal because the reflector is smooth so it doesn't hold the projector in place. If you want you can JB weld it to the reflector but that would defeat the "plug and play" aspect of the projectors. IMO it isn't a problem though, I have had my retrofit for 2.5 years now with no problems at all. Just make sure that lock ring is as tight as it will safely go.

I used the small washer as well because the thicker washer did not allow enough threads on the back to secure the projector safely. And you have it correct, projector > small washer > reflector > lock ring > bulb retainer > bulb > retainer clip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok got it. I was under the impression the projector would tighten to a point at which it wouldn't move left or right period. That makes me feel better.

I've discovered that I have a defective bulb, so the install is at a bit of a standstill at the moment. But, I am trying to adjust the aim height of the headlights while working on adjusting the rotation. I got the rotation part...but for the life of me, couldn't get vertical adjustment at all. I was turning the aiming screw both directions, but no dice. :dunno:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts