Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weirdest thing I noticed today. While driving, with the a/c on, under 55mph, the head lights flicker/dim every 45-60 seconds. Very annoying. Once I noticed it, it was driving me nuts. I dont have any mods done to the car except tint.

Any idea's whats going on here?

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
That's normal on all 4 cylinder accords.

There are other discussions about this, you just need to do a search.

Basically, your only solution, I think, is to get a more powerful battery.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's normal on all 4 cylinder accords.

There are other discussions about this, you just need to do a search.

Basically, you're only solution, I think, is to get a more powerful battery.
i agreed

·
VTAKKKK
1,710 Posts
Buy a harness for your stock bulbs. It'll draw power directly from your battery and they shouldn't dim.

You could probably benefit from an alternator upgrade, not sure what can fit and work on there though.

Nonetheless - it is common and you really shouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Weirdest thing I noticed today. While driving, with the a/c on, under 55mph, the head lights flicker/dim every 45-60 seconds. Very annoying. Once I noticed it, it was driving me nuts. I dont have any mods done to the car except tint.

Any idea's whats going on here?
This thread could open the whole can of worms again!

·
Registered
145 Posts
This thread could open the whole can of worms again!
It's time to drink a nice cool glass of LEMONade. Unless of course Mr. Schumacher wants to offer us a glass of Kool Aid! :lmao:

To the OP - although this "characteristic" of the 4 cylinder 8 Gen Accords is called "normal" by some, it is a defect. Both HoneyGee and I had our Accords bought back in Georgia under the Lemon Law for this problem. Short of disabling the ELD on your car, there is no fix. Some have installed HID lights in place of the Halogen bulbs to reduce the problem. A larger battery will NOT fix the issue. I suggest you watch the taillights as well and you will see that they also dim and brighten every time the A/C condenser fans kick on. Yes, it is annoying. I am surprised that it took you this long to notice it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's time to drink a nice cool glass of LEMONade. Unless of course Mr. Schumacher wants to offer us a glass of Kool Aid! :lmao:

To the OP - although this "characteristic" of the 4 cylinder 8 Gen Accords is called "normal" by some, it is a defect. Both HoneyGee and I had our Accords bought back in Georgia under the Lemon Law for this problem. Short of disabling the ELD on your car, there is no fix. Some have installed HID lights in place of the Halogen bulbs to reduce the problem. A larger battery will NOT fix the issue. I suggest you watch the taillights as well and you will see that they also dim and brighten every time the A/C condenser fans kick on. Yes, it is annoying. I am surprised that it took you this long to notice it.

Since I have not been "banned" for life for "imflamitory bickering" as I was on the other site, I can tell you that what KP said is exactly right. Bigger alternators, bigger batteries will have no effect on the problem. Honda built this "normal characteristic" into the car to save you about .5 mpg. If you do some searching on here you will find hundreds of posts about it from about a year and a half ago. It was discussed ad nausem until the brake problems surfaced and then it was forgotten about. Every Gen 8 accord was affected by the brake problem but only 4 cylinder accords had the headlight problem.

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
Since I have not been "banned" for life for "imflamitory bickering" as I was on the other site, I can tell you that what KP said is exactly right. Bigger alternators, bigger batteries will have no effect on the problem. Honda built this "normal characteristic" into the car to save you about .5 mpg. If you do some searching on here you will find hundreds of posts about it from about a year and a half ago. It was discussed ad nausem until the brake problems surfaced and then it was forgotten about. Every Gen 8 accord was affected by the brake problem but only 4 cylinder accords had the headlight problem.
I think that if you run a harness to power the lights directly from the battery, as if you were installing HIDs, the problem would go away.

How's the Lexus?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think that if you run a harness to power the lights directly from the battery, as if you were installing HIDs, the problem would go away.

How's the Lexus?

It isn't the battery that is the problem. It's the voltage drop and thats controlled by the ELD. On mine the voltage went from 14.25 down to 12.99 and that was the flicker. Doesn't seem like a lot but I'm sure you have seen the video. Remember the CRV uses exactly the same engine combo but doesn't exhibit the flicker. It's literally built into the car by honda.

WE have had the ES330 now for 16 months and its been flawless and it is a 2006. Thanks for asking. Have a great rest of the summer.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It isn't the battery that is the problem. It's the voltage drop and thats controlled by the ELD. On mine the voltage went from 14.25 down to 12.99 and that was the flicker. Doesn't seem like a lot but I'm sure you have seen the video. Remember the CRV uses exactly the same engine combo but doesn't exhibit the flicker. It's literally built into the car by honda.

WE have had the ES330 now for 16 months and its been flawless and it is a 2006. Thanks for asking. Have a great rest of the summer.
PS if we had kept the honda it would have been 3 years old sept 24th..where the heck does the time go?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts