Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cruisin Iowa...
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm going to take some flack for asking a question that has been asked many times before, so here I go....

I have the Sport, I commute about 50 miles a day to work. It is always dark on the way home. What is the easiest way to upgrade to headlights on the Sport ? I don't want to spend a lot of money and hope it's fairly easy.

Thanks, Dan

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts
Budget HID kits from DDM tuning. Or look at the HID a la carte thread......or TRS morimoto H11b HID kit for 120.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had my HID lights for a month now. I have to say the stock halogens are like a child's night lite compared to these. I got the Morimoto Elite HID system in 5000K 35watt ballasts, and you don't want to do anything but the H11B. I got it from TRS. The retro fit source. And yes guys... I am one I the few who still use the relay. But that's beside the point, this kit is the most legitimate and as close looking to an OEM HID system. Not the blue looking fake crap. It's a must.
Vehicle Car Headlamp Light Automotive lighting

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same here am using a ddm tuning his slim kit for $45 shipped and couldn't be happier I have even using ddm for years so this is nothing new I got the 35 watt 5k hid kit looks like a stock hid kit nice and white with great cutoff just don't mine my led drl light beam pattern lol

free image hosting

·
Registered
456 Posts
Same here am using a ddm tuning his slim kit for $45 shipped and couldn't be happier I have even using ddm for years so this is nothing new I got the 35 watt 5k hid kit looks like a stock hid kit nice and white with great cutoff just don't mine my led drl light beam pattern lol

free image hosting
why does it look like the cut off is like lower on one side. needs adjustment maybe?

·
Registered
923 Posts
H9 mod is the easiest and convenient way to go. It makes a huge difference. Also allows easy replacement on the road as anyone has H9 or even if you have to throw a H11 in until you get home.

I went PIAA on all mine High, Low H-9, and Yellow fogs. PIAA, SilverStar and any other high priced bulb are said to be too fragile and not needed and not well liked by most, but in my motorcycle and 10 year old Turbo GT Cruiser they have lasted great and are much brighter to me.

I love them in my new Coupe.

Do the H9 mod and life will be fine. It makes a huge difference over any H11 bulb.

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
Most people on here get HID kits. More lumens than anything currently available. No problems with blinding people with the factory projectors.

Easy install. Plug N' Play

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
Most people on here get HID kits. More lumens than anything currently available.
On paper, perhaps, but in real life ... not at all true.

I have yet to test any HID kit bulb that has produced more than 2700-2800 lumens. And this is a 4300K HID kit bulb. 5000K and 6000K have even fewer lumens. The reason they don't produce the lumens of an OEM HID bulb is because of the inferior materials used in their construction as compared to OEM and because a typical HID kit ballast rated at 35w is not the same as an OEM ballast rated at 35W. An OEM ballast provides 35W to the bulb. HID kit ballasts consume 35W and generally provide 25-30W to the bulb.

The H9, nominally 2100 lumens, is actually 2800 lumens when supplied with just over 14V as it will be when the engine is running. This is because of the way halogen bulbs respond to increases in voltage. The lumens increase to the power 3.4 as voltage increases linearly.

And that's not the whole story. It really is not very smart to judge a light source by stated lumens alone. What matters is the amount of flux the headlight with a specific light source actually puts out on the road to be used by the driver.

In the case of the H9, with its properly placed filament, there will be more flux than there will with any HID kit bulb because, at best, only half to 75% of the lumens of the HID kit bulb can be positioned where the reflector bowl can actually make use of them.

The upshot is, that silly lumen count aside, the H9 will always provide more usable light than any HID kit bulb will. You may not agree, but it's true. And it's been scientifically proven to be true.

No problems with blinding people with the factory projectors.
And yet there are people who do get blinded by HID kit bulbs in Accord projector headlights. Why? Because people have varying sensitivities to glare and because there are no standards for HID kit bulbs you really can't be sure that the placement of the arc chamber is going to be consistent from bulb to bulb.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Is there a mod required to the H9 bulb so it will fit in the H11 position.
You have to slice off a plastic tab off. I have done it 4 times, 2 sets of bulbs with a retractable exato knife and a small thin blade screw driver.

You can search this Site and read a good DIY write up for a better idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts