Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all!

First post here - though I've been browsing the site for a while now.

I have a 2003 LX I4 with almost 160K on it, and it's beginning to show some cosmetic wear.

Among other things, the first thing I'd like to fix is the headliner. It's beginning to sag in some areas, most notably on the passenger side.

Does anybody have experience with replacing the headliner? Is it a difficult task for a DIY'er?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Very easy actually. You would have to find instructions on how to take the headliner out first which is the hardest part. Once it's out all you have to do Is take off the old fabric and with a brush clean the surface of the cart board headliner to take off all the remaining foam stuck to it. You will need the adhesive and the headliner fabric( for sale at Joanne fabrics) Once clean use a can of 3m spray upholstery adhesive (for sale at most auto parts stores and home depot) spray it on both surfaces the headliner itself and the back part of the fabric. Let both dry, once dry to the touch place the fabric on the headliner mold it around with your hands to all the curves and grooves and find ally use an xacto knife to cut out the holes for map lights and dome lights etc.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
You make it sound so easy so I assume you've done this before. What is the best way to prevent creases? I have another vehicle that I'm about to pay someone $150 to do. Oh and which fabric? I went on the site but....

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
I removed my headliner, cleaned the old material off, and paid an upholsterer $100 to recover it. No, you can not re-glue the old material back on. It will obviously cost more to have the shop remove the headliner, and you would be without your car for that length of time. The headliner was a tight squeeze going out through the passenger side front door. The service manual says to remove the pillar covers (a, b, and c), but I managed to remove it without doing that. I hauled the headliner to and from the shop in the back of my pickup truck. I'm pretty sure there is a Youtube video showing how to remove the headliner. Good luck

·
Registered
449 Posts
You make it sound so easy so I assume you've done this before. What is the best way to prevent creases? I have another vehicle that I'm about to pay someone $150 to do. Oh and which fabric? I went on the site but....
I did it to my girlfriends Bettle.

here is a how to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MmT72NDtTs

The fabric is called just like that, headliner fabric. Its actually like a thin foam with color fabric on one side

1 - 5 of 5 Posts