Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow drivers!!

I just had a long 2hr drive and went to switch on the dome lights when i pulled up in my drive when i accidentally pressed the sunroof open switch. I pulled the switch forward to close the sunroof but heard a weird noise. The sunroof had jammed open!! (It was in the tilty open position rather than the disappear into the roof backwards position)

I haven't operated it an abt 3 months so that could be the main contributing factor. I could see the rubber seal round the front side if the window was jammed and compressed between the window and sunroof apaeture. I sprayed some silicone spray but unfortunate my can was practically empty and only a little got into the seal. In the end with a considerable amount of force i pushed the back of the window with controlled downwards pressure while operating the close switch for it to finally shut.

Has anyone else had this problem? Im going to lube up the mechanism and possibly smear some red rubber grease round the periphery of the sunroof. What do y'all think?

Soupie.crouton.

P.s. I live in the uk and have the euro shape 2008 honda accord ex dtec manual 6 speed dtec with 113,000 miles on the clock, and this is my first ever post here! I have lurked and read numerous posts for years!

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem and thanks for the warning. My EX has the sunroof, but I rarely use it and will keep an eye out for this.

Scott C.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all,

I had a play around with it today... Not good!

It seems to stick every time i operate the sunroof to the tilt up position. I have noticed lots of rust around the edge of the sunroof going all the way round.

Doesn't honda have a paint warranty against this sort of thing?

Has anyone had experience with taking the sunroof out?

Cheers!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Shouldn't be rusty that's for sure. I don't think it's an issue due to infrequent use. Here in Canada mine is typically unused from November till April. I expect this is the case for most Canadians.

·
Honda Nation
1,678 Posts
If you're going to lube the sunroof tracks, use only the Shin Etsu grease. That's the lube that is used at the factory. It's available at your dealer or on line. That stuff works wonders. I use it on all the hinges on my car, the hood release lever, everything. And you can also use it to rejuvenate your rubber door seals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This actually happened to me today, what I did was close it and midway when it closes I immediately push the button forward to stop it. Once it closes I push the button back and it slid all the way open. I was worried it wouldn't work so I closed and opened it a few times and it's fine. I did leave it open all day in the cracked position, hmmm wonder if this could have been it. Hopefully it does not happen again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts