Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow – I searched “heater“ on here and it appears to be a system that Honda has considerable difficulty implementing well.

My problem in my 2019 EX-L 2.0T is that my heat works great until my car’s been running for approximately one hour, at which point I notice I start feeling cold and, sure enough, I find that cold air is now blowing through the dash vents and I have to raise the temperature three or four or five degrees in order to get the heater heating again.
has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know the cause, or, more importantly to me, a remedy?

Thanks…

·
Registered
2020 EX-L 2.0T 10AT
75 Posts
Check the level of coolant in your antifreeze reservoir. If low you may have a slow leak or it was low. Wait until engine is cool if you need to add any.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Wow – I searched “heater“ on here and it appears to be a system that Honda has considerable difficulty implementing well.
Really??
How so?? care to explain??

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really??
How so?? care to explain??
i trust you’re being facetious here...

Check the level of coolant in your antifreeze reservoir. If low you may have a slow leak or it was low. Wait until engine is cool if you need to add any.
I would like to find this is the case, though I think it’s highly unlikely since I take my car to the dealership for maintenance every 5000 miles and it’s likely something that they would catch if it was the case (and the problem has been persistent and consistent since I bought the car new).

·
Registered
509 Posts
Is this your first car with automatic climate control?

I only ask because you might just be experiencing the normal operation of the system. (It could be that there's something wrong, but there's also the likeliness that it's operating within spec...)

So, here's what most people (especially in really cold areas) go through with automatic climate control...

They get in their car- wearing their coat because it's winter and it's cold. They start the car and wait for the climate control to do its thing. If you have it set to 'auto' and say, 70 degrees, the system will start off slow (because the car is cold and the HVAC system is not yet putting out warm air- there's nothing worse than an HVAC system blowing massive amounts of cold air at you when you first start the car before everything warms up). As the car warms up, the fan speed of the HVAC system gradually increases as the engine warms and the system is able to warm the cabin. After a while, after the car is at normal operating temperature and the HVAC system can push out warm air, the fan speed will likely be on high as it attempts to raise the temperature of the cabin. As the cabin reaches 70 degrees, your set temperature, the fan slows down and the system runs to maintain that 70 degree setting.

Meanwhile, you are still in your coat. As you've said, an hour has passed. Maybe you turned on the heated seats when you got in the car and your rump is nice and warm. You may think that you want it to be 70 degrees in the car- and that's what you've set the HVAC system to, but at 70, you are likely getting hot given the coat that you are wearing, the heated seats, and anything else that you are wearing to keep warm in winter. You start sweating through your coat because you are effectively dressed for 30 degree weather in a cabin that's roughly 70 degrees. You take off your gloves, which may be sweaty- and place your hand near the climate vents, which are pushing out 70 degree air. It feels cold because you're sweating a bit and your body temperature is likely what it should be- 98 degrees.

Just a thought. I may be completely wrong- but that's the way that my 2019 Accord works too. It's also the way that my 2016 Accord worked. It's the way my 2007 Camry works too. All with dual-zone automatic climate control. All operating the exact same way...

With all of that said, if you feel that your HVAC system isn't working correctly, take it to your local dealer and have them check it out. They should be able to identify any problems that might exist within your HVAC system.

-Good luck

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd still like to hear how you arrived at the conclusion you did.
I said how I arrived at that conclusion in the first post you responded to: I did a search for “heater” on here. Try it yourself and see how many people have reported problems with the heat in their Accords.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
I said how I arrived at that conclusion in the first post you responded to: I did a search for “heater” on here.

I would like to find this is the case, though I think it’s highly unlikely since I take my car to the dealership for maintenance every 5000 miles and it’s likely something that they would catch if it was the case (and the problem has been persistent and consistent since I bought the car new).
I see...
so you've had this issue since you bought the car and the dealer is expected to "catch it"...as you say...without you telling them?
Have you even asked them about it? if so, what did they tell you?

Then you go on this forum ...do a generalized search for "heater" and by seeing other posts..by golly, the problem is rampant!
Suddenly...and with all the fury of a West Texas tornado...everyone has the same issue as you!...it's out of control! And, although Honda has been producing cars for decades...suddenly, they cannot fathom the auto climate control system...it's clearly beyond their engineering capabilities!...

Is that what you're claiming?

Reactions: TGHI

·
Row 'em
47 Posts
What you are experiencing is a normal part of automatic climate control operation.

You may be used to cars with manual climate control where you control the temperature of the air coming out of the vents. You set the temperature dial to a certain position, and the air coming out of the vents will stay at the same temperature no matter what the car's cabin temperature might be.

Automatic climate control works differently. You set a temperature you want for the cabin interior, and the system does what it needs to in order to achieve and maintain that temperature. In the case of heating the car on a cold day, it will blow hot air until it senses the car interior has reached the temperature you set, and then it will back off on the heat. You're expecting the system to continue to blow hot air out of the vents even after the interior has warmed to the set temperature, and it doesn't work that way.

That said, I've noticed that the system is slow to respond to changes in cabin temperature. Mine often continues to blow hot air well after the cabin has warmed. It's like the interior temperature sensor is slow to catch up to the actual conditions.

Most of the complaints people make about their Accord's climate control are based on a misunderstanding of how the system is supposed to work. A few are based on this particular system's inherent peculiarities. I haven't yet seen one that reflected an actual problem.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I see...
so you've had this issue since you bought the car and the dealer is expected to "catch it"...as you say...without you telling them?
Have you even asked them about it? if so, what did they tell you?

Then you go on this forum ...do a generalized search for "heater" and by seeing other posts..by golly, the problem is rampant!
Suddenly...and with all the fury of a West Texas tornado...everyone has the same issue as you!...it's out of control! And, although Honda has been producing cars for decades...suddenly, they cannot fathom the auto climate control system...it's clearly beyond their engineering capabilities!...

Is that what you're claiming?
Boy...I'm sorry about whatever's happened to you in life to cause you to respond by developing that attitude. It's okay. Take a few deep breaths and relax. Not everybody is out to get you.

Mikeh suggested I check my coolant level. In my response to his suggestion, what I meant that I expect the service techs at my dealership to do - yes, without my asking them - is to make sure my coolant level is good.

And to you and Save the Manuals and everybody else who's tried to school me on how automatic climate control works, I am well aware of how automatic climate control works. But the idea, at least, behind automatic climate control is that it will reach a temperature and maintain it - not swing wildly from hot to cold to hot to cold, over and over. It's supposed to allow the user to control the climate, hence its name - not continually allow the user's set choice of temperature to slip past it and then go chasing after it, ad infinitum. The automatic climate control in my 2015 Chrysler 300S (next to which the Accord pales in every respect except perhaps in reliability) did what I told it and expected it to do without me having to babysit it. That's all I ask of my climate control system, and the one in my 2019 Accord can't handle that assignment.

That fact is not a personal attack on you, 2Accordz, and if you interpret it as such, you need a good sound meditation practice much more than you need an Accord forum.

You know, I came onto this forum thinking it might be helpful to me and that I might be able to help others, but the amount of hostility I've seen in my short time here, directed toward myself and others, does not conduce to my wanting to stick around. I think I'll seek my Accord-related answers elsewhere.

Hasta la vista.

·
Row 'em
47 Posts
And to you and Save the Manuals and everybody else who's tried to school me on how automatic climate control works, I am well aware of how automatic climate control works. But the idea, at least, behind automatic climate control is that it will reach a temperature and maintain it - not swing wildly from hot to cold to hot to cold, over and over. It's supposed to allow the user to control the climate, hence its name - not continually allow the user's set choice of temperature to slip past it and then go chasing after it, ad infinitum. The automatic climate control in my 2015 Chrysler 300S (next to which the Accord pales in every respect except perhaps in reliability) did what I told it and expected it to do without me having to babysit it. That's all I ask of my climate control system, and the one in my 2019 Accord can't handle that assignment.

That fact is not a personal attack on you, 2Accordz, and if you interpret it as such, you need a good sound meditation practice much more than you need an Accord forum.
Well, OK, except that's not what you described in your initial post.

My take is that the 10th Gen Accord system is not as well implemented as some others (including the 2013 Accord it replaced in my case), and I've found that a certain amount of chasing around is necessary. It's annoying, but not a deal-breaker, for me at least.

The only sensible course of action would be to ask your dealer service department to check operation of the system to make sure it's within normal parameters. If it is, then you either adjust to it, or you get a different car. If it isn't, then you get the problem fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Boy...I'm sorry about whatever's happened to you in life to cause you to respond by developing that attitude. It's okay. Take a few deep breaths and relax. Not everybody is out to get you.
I'm good bro.
And, you're jumping to wild conclusions...again.

Mikeh suggested I check my coolant level. In my response to his suggestion, what I meant that I expect the service techs at my dealership to do - yes, without my asking them - is to make sure my coolant level is good.
And...I'll ask you this again...did you ever bring up the issue with them?? What did they say?

And to you and Save the Manuals and everybody else who's tried to school me on how automatic climate control works, I am well aware of how automatic climate control works. But the idea, at least, behind automatic climate control is that it will reach a temperature and maintain it - not swing wildly from hot to cold to hot to cold, over and over. It's supposed to allow the user to control the climate, hence its name - not continually allow the user's set choice of temperature to slip past it and then go chasing after it, ad infinitum.
We all know what it's supposed to do.
And, once more with feeling....
If it's NOT doing what it is supposed to, then bring it to someone...Honda(or otherwise) and let them look at it.

I'm channeling Krishna....right now...

Have you even read what anyone else has just written?

We see this on the forum constantly, ad nauseam...someone has an isolated issue and now... Honda doesn't know what they're doing!...lol...
Have you even read what anyone else has just written?
And just because you read it on the internet...does not mean it's true, nome sain?
You're making blanket statements where you have no facts.

Stick around....and learn, grasshopper.
It doesn't hurt...I swear.
Go in peace, my son.

You know, I came onto this forum thinking it might be helpful to me and that I might be able to help others, but the amount of hostility I've seen in my short time here, directed toward myself and others, does not conduce to my wanting to stick around. I think I'll seek my Accord-related answers elsewhere.

Hasta la vista.
C'mon! just like David Soul sang...

Don't give up on us...

·
Registered
16 Posts
LOL, I have this problem in a 7th gen. Haven't fixed it yet though. Perhaps it's this....

Check your "temperature mode motor assembly" aka the actuator motor that shuts the hot air and cold air to the vents.

Mine has a gremlin/is worn from old age---and changes modes by itself. I can hear it move when I am waiting for the car to warm. I fix it temporarily by moving the temp. knob to cold, waiting a few moments and then moving it back to warm.

For the 7th gen. this is the part 79140-SDA-A01 at DuckDuckGo And here is a sample fix: It is highly unlikely this is the exact part and procedure for your car. This is just for illustration purposes.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
... my heat works great until my car’s been running for approximately one hour, at which point I notice I start feeling cold and, sure enough, I find that cold air is now blowing through the dash vents and I have to raise the temperature...

...Does anyone know ...a remedy?
My heat at home does this as well. I feel warm while the HVAC is running, then after a time it stops and I feel cold and raise the temp again to kick on the heat. Automatic climate control alternates heated/unheated air in winter, but there is almost ALWAYS air moving to help keep the windows defogged and control humidity. I'd wager that when you feel the cool air, the system is just idle but the temperature in the cabin is constant. If you want to feel warm forever in the car, set the heat to "Hi" by raising past 84F, and set fan speed to the lowest setting. You'll always have warm air flowing but at low speed.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,907 Posts
@Cat-man Stop servicing your vehicle every 5K miles. You have something called a Maintenance Minder that will let you know when you need to service.

·
Registered
12 Posts

My problem in my 2019 EX-L 2.0T is that my heat works great until my car’s been running for approximately one hour, at which point I notice I start feeling cold and, sure enough, I find that cold air is now blowing through the dash vents and I have to raise the temperature three or four or five degrees in order to get the heater heating again.
has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know the cause, or, more importantly to me, a remedy?

Thanks…
Does this happen even when the climate control is not set to "Auto" mode?

·
Registered
406 Posts
In my experience, if your coolant level is low or you have a problem with your heater core, you're going to notice it most when the car is stopped at a light. It shouldn't take long for the symptom to arise, it should happen almost immediately after the engine is warmed up. With the engine only at idle, there is less coolant flowing (esp if the coolant is low) the heater core can't keep up with the blower and the air will go cold.

Often times I've had to bump up the temperature a few degrees after a driving for a bit because the air starts to feel cooler and not because I'm cold but because I'd rather have warmer air blowing on me. I assume this is because the cabin has warmed up enough and the air doesn't need to be super warm to maintain temps. There are other factors at play as well like sunlight etc. I've just accepted it as normal operation of Auto climate.

If air temp stays consistent while the car is stopped for 30+ seconds and you only have to bump it up a couple degrees while driving and it gets warm again, that sounds perfectly normal to me.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
TL:DR
I tested my temperature over time with a thermometer carefully placed in the center of the passenger seat area away from surfaces or direct air flow
Exterior temp 33F. internal setpoint 70F
0min-25min: did not check
25min-40 min: 78F
40 min: 76F
45 min: 69.8F
1:15min: 69.8F
temperature goes way up at first, then settles to the temperature set in the HVAC controls.

Check the level of coolant...
Before moving forward, I'll clarify that my coolant sits right at the full/high mark in the overflow.

...the idea, at least, behind automatic climate control is that it will reach a temperature and maintain it - not swing wildly from hot to cold to hot to cold, over and over....
I tested it for you this morning in my 2019 Sport 1.5. Between dropping the kids off, stopping for coffee and driving to work, my morning commute is a total of 1:15 according to the trip timer. this is strictly drive time, not hours on the clock. I keep my interior set to 70F through most of the winter.

First leg is 25 minutes from a cold start in my garage, the car reads an exterior temperature of 43F this morning. The drive is a mixture of state and interstate highway. I did not check cabin temp at all during this period because I was late running out of the house, but I felt constant heat from the vents and the cabin felt warm the entire time. Exterior temperature is 33-35F for the duration of my commute.

Once the kids are safe and sound after a 3 minute stop with the engine off, I pull out my trusty ZooMed or whatever brand probe thermometer that I use for my bearded dragon. I hang the probe approximately 12" from the passenger visor and aim the center vents to the floor to prevent the probe from getting blasted with heat directly. I want ambient temperature. The display quickly reads 78F and hangs there.

Second leg is 20 minutes of all state highway with a few stoplights. By about 40 minutes total driving time, the cabin indeed does feel cooler and cool air is gently blowing from the vents. The thermometer shows a drop and is falling to 73, 72, 71 etc. By the time I stop for breakfast, it reads 69.8F. I step out for 5 minutes with the engine off. when I come back, it reads 63 because the door was open. start up and go

The final leg is just about 30 minutes. the temperature quickly rises back to 69.6F and hangs there for a solid 25 minutes. just to check that it reads small changes, I touch the probe with my fingers for half a second and see an instant jump up to 73F, then it drops back down to 69.8F again.

Long story short, the vents blast warm air to warm the seats, windows and panels of the cabin, then it settles down to maintain the temperature you asked for. What you described seems to match my experience. You just like it hotter than the number you initially asked for.

...I came onto this forum thinking it might be helpful to me and that I might be able to help others, but the amount of hostility I've seen in my short time here, directed toward myself and others, does not conduce to my wanting to stick around. I think I'll seek my Accord-related answers elsewhere...
While I agree that DA is loaded with manboys and fanboys, and I have seen a fair amount of hostility in other posts, I think you're over reacting. You did a fine job instigating whether you meant to or not, and in your original post, you jumped to a conclusion without really thinking it through. searching for problems in a forum with hundreds of thousands of posts is going to yield a lot of hits for heater related problems. The thing is nobody writes posts saying "everything is functioning normally including the heater", so the only thing you're likely to ever find is a complaint. I sympathize with the existing members, wrongthink offends me deeply. Did you come in a little too hot with how you worded your OP? yes. Did the masses react like children? some yes. Were you met with hostility? no.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts