Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I follow the forum pretty close and have not seen this subject and a search did not reveal any discussion. When I drive at highway speeds (65) with just the rear windows down the whole car vibrates. I have never experienced anything like this. Anyone else notice this? :dunno:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Glen, I figured it wasn't anything to worry about but just cannot believe how much it vibrates the entire car.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Every sedan I've ever owned has done this. Nothing to worry about. Venting or opening the sunroof may alleviate the issue if you don't want to have the front windows down, too.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Normal....many cars do it...crack the sunroof....
Putting the sunroof in vent if the rear windows are down more than 2.5" makes it worse on these cars. On my car the whole head liner shakes if the rear windows are down more than the above 2.5".

Jay

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Normal, the buffeting is cause by the air pressure. Even my 2000 Toyota Avalon does it and my coupe (with one window down). Like everyone else suggested, Crack the sunroof or front windows to get rid of it.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
I follow the forum pretty close and have not seen this subject and a search did not reveal any discussion. When I drive at highway speeds (65) with just the rear windows down the whole car vibrates. I have never experienced anything like this. Anyone else notice this? :dunno:
very common, you have a resonant cavity like blowing into a coke bottle. there is no fix except opening other windows to detune the cavity.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Since the Accord is sealed up tighter than a tick's @$$ to keep it quiet inside there is no where for the incoming air to escape. The best fix is to drill holes in the door panels and trunk lid to let this air escape. To make the holes blend in better most people use those fashionable bullet hole stickers. ;) I jest, of course.

But seriously, open any other window/sunroof and your problem is solved. I ride with the sunroof back and the back windows down about 4", lots of fresh air without much buffeting. Happy Friday.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
2000 S430, 05 300C, 05 Ody, 80 300SD to name a few of many of my cars that do this. It feels like your effing ear drum is going to rupture.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Why is this a thread??????? This happens to every car that is not a convertible!

May we end this thread now?

Or I guess I can join......"same thing happens in my BMW and Honda Odyssey, and when my kids try to open the windows on the highway I yell at them for this very reason"

·
Registered
29 Posts
sealed up tighter than a ticks @$$... I WISH... i find this car to be quite noisy, i find there is too much noise especially that comes in through my drivers side B pillar... can hear the wind and rain. really annoying:(

Since the Accord is sealed up tighter than a tick's @$$ to keep it quiet inside there is no where for the incoming air to escape. The best fix is to drill holes in the door panels and trunk lid to let this air escape. To make the holes blend in better most people use those fashionable bullet hole stickers. ;) I jest, of course.

But seriously, open any other window/sunroof and your problem is solved. I ride with the sunroof back and the back windows down about 4", lots of fresh air without much buffeting. Happy Friday.

·
4,339 Posts
Why is this a thread??????? This happens to every car that is not a convertible!

May we end this thread now?

Or I guess I can join......"same thing happens in my BMW and Honda Odyssey, and when my kids try to open the windows on the highway I yell at them for this very reason"
My 1999 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi and 2005 Dodge Magnum did not do it.

Jay

·
Registered
109 Posts
sealed up tighter than a ticks @$$... I WISH... i find this car to be quite noisy, i find there is too much noise especially that comes in through my drivers side B pillar... can hear the wind and rain. really annoying:(
Really? What were your previous cars? All the ones in my sig were much louder in the cabin than the Accord. Maybe your seals aren't doing their job. My A4 sounded like someone was firing a machine gun when rain hit the B-pillar

To be honest the only time I have the windows up are when the temp is over 100, below 10, or raining. Other than that, my windows are down no matter the speed.:banana:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
When driving at high speed on the highway opening the windows will reduce your gas milage due to the increased drag from having the windows open. It's more economical to leave the AC on to ventilate the car at highway speeds.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
When driving at high speed on the highway opening the windows will reduce your gas milage due to the increased drag from having the windows open. It's more economical to leave the AC on to ventilate the car at highway speeds.
Not true.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Flyboy speaks the truth! You are wrong, Route 66, oh so wrong, to use Mythbusters as a feeble attempt to make your point, lol.

Really though, the Mythbuster's episode has since been attacked relentlessly for many reasons. Off the top of my head:

1) They used two different vehicles to compete against one another!
2) Two different maintenance histories, no baseline!
3) Two different drivers, weight of vehicles, tires, wheels, etc
4) At what speeds? Yes, it is more fuel efficient to have your windows rolled up....above 55 mph. At that speed and above, you will lose mpg performance if your windows are down. But driving at 30mph, sure, it is better for mpg to enjoy the breeze.

They are entertainers and Hollywood types, not scientists, and not people who know how to conduct a proper test, apparently.

Not this time, Lee Harvey....

·
4,339 Posts
Put the sunroof on vent and drop the rear windows 1-2". You will have more than enough air moving in the car to keep you cool and will not need AC. You will get much better gas mileage than having the AC on, too.

I have already proven this on my commute.

·
My Dream car! 13 EX-L
86 Posts
Those of us who own a windshield equipped motorcycle refer to it as "buffeting".
12 years ago I owned an 81 mercedes 300D. It buffeted so bad with a rear window down my wife nearly slapped me. She's got inner ear problems. The smirk on my face did not help matters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts