Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So I installed my Takeda SRI a couple weekends ago. Within a day or so, I noticed the smell of anti-freeze. I popped the hood and saw a small blue spot right underneath the thin hose I replaced during the install. Remembering that a bit of coolant had spilled during the replacement, I wiped it up and moved on.

The next day the smell was back. I popped the hood and the puddle had returned. I was able to trace the drip to the area where that hose connects (this would be the "right side" nozzle, closer to the firewall, not the one on the TB). I checked the hose and confirmed that the clamp was secure. Thinking maybe the hose itself had a problem (unlikely, but you never know), I removed it and used one of the original thin hoses from the stock intake, which was just a bit shorter.

Later that day, I start the car to head out and decide to take a look while the engine is cold. Within seconds of starting the car I could see a constant, slow drip running from that same area. That nozzle is right next to a brass fitting (thermostat probably?) and all I could see was that the coolant was collecting in the tiny space between the two. I couldn't actually tell which one it was coming from, but assumed it was coming from the nozzle. Here's a pic of the area (borrowed from the PDF guide posted in another thread here). I've used an arrow to mark where the coolant was originating from.

So anyway, at this point it's time to put the stock intake back on. I reconnect everything, wait a couple hours to make sure everything's cooled off, and start it up. With everything back to stock, the leak disappeared. I drove for an hour or two that afternoon and saw nothing. The next day I added a bit of water to get the overflow tank back in range, then drove probably 50-60 miles through the day and saw nothing. It's now been three days and the car has gone from cold-to-warm-to-cold at least five times since I put the stock airbox on and I have not seen a drop of coolant.

Any ideas on what might've happened here? I did this install using the PDF guide elsewhere and I'm confident that it was done properly. I'd triple-checked every hose and clamp to make sure everything was secure. There is not much to screw up here and I'm still scratching my head about this one. My coolant level didn't drop much over that week-and-a-half or so, so I suspect it might've only been leaking while the engine was cold, but I never actually looked while the engine was warmed up so I can't say for sure.

As always, thanks for any help or suggestions!

JP

·
Registered
295 Posts
Does the hose have a split on the end or something? You can get some new tubing rated for coolant somewhere and just replace the one that came with the kit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hose looked good. Also, right before I put the stock airbox back on, I swapped in one of the stock hoses that happened to fit and still had leaking.

I would definitely pick up a new piece of hose when I decide to re-install it, but I don't think the hose was the issue. I just don't understand what it could be.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I do not have one of these on my car, but I have heard a few people using more/different clamps on those hoses. Maybe it just wasn't secured tight enough?

Worth a simple look if you have not already done so.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I do not have one of these on my car, but I have heard a few people using more/different clamps on those hoses. Maybe it just wasn't secured tight enough?

Worth a simple look if you have not already done so.
x2 I prefer the "worm and screw" type clamp. If you reuse the factory ones, make sure you put the clamp back in the orginal position (in the inprint on the hose).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. As I mentioned, the hose looks good and the clamps "seem" to be good (seeing that I'm using them now with the stock intake w/no trouble) but I think when I do re-install the SRI, I will pick up another set of clamps and a new hose, just to rule it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts