Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9th gen Accord Sport, 2014.

When I insert the key and turn on the electrical (without starting the engine), the electronics starts to come on but everything tends to blink, shutdown, restart, etc and it keeps doing that forever until I start the engine. Then everything is on and stays there smoothly.

What's weird is this only happens before the engine is running. The car battery is fairly new, about 1-2 years old max, and seems to be working fine. It never died or failed to start. When the electronics are flickering and the radio is turning on, sometimes the engine won't start because something is draining too much power. But in between the flickering I can start the engine.

What would cause the electrical system to keep restarting? It feels like something is draining the power and it doesn't have enough juice to turn on smoothly. Also the headlights dim when I turn the wheel with the engine on.

Other possibly related issues:
  • Some trashy person shot a bb-gun into one of my back brakelights, there's a small hole in the light assembly and the bb-pellet is lodged in there. I assume moisture or water can still get in there.
  • Battery was replaced by a manager guy at Autozone, it worked but I'm not entirely sure he did a good job.
  • The battery flickered a little bit before, but it's flickering like crazy now.
  • Somebody stole one of my car's wheels/rims, this put the electrical in a weird place. The car doesn't have TPMS so only the wheel and lug nuts were replaced.

· Registered
5,691 Posts
The very first thing to check is the battery cables, they need to be clean and tight (if you can wiggle it , it is not tight). Also, check the ground connections from the engine to the body and make sure those are in place and clean and tight.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WiiMaster

· Cruising in Montana
5,083 Posts

· Registered
5,691 Posts
Go to that AutoZone and get one of these battery post/clamp cleaning tools.
Battery Terminal Brush Cleaner - Best Replacement Battery Terminal Brush Cleaners at the Right Price | AutoZone

Obviously, you'll need to remove both cables to clean the outside of the posts on the battery and the inside of the clamps on the cable.

Disconnect the negative (black) wire first. reconnect it last.
What he said, and when you are that AutoZone pick up Battery protector spray.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts