Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scratch on the front bumper, passenger side. My first significant scratch on the body paint of the car. She's not even a year old yet! :(

Paint is scratched off to a black rubbery feel and white scuff lines below and around it.
Took it to a body shop and they said it's gonna cost $500. They suggested touch up paint for this since it's not a big scratch. No point of filing an insurance claim because of the $500 deductible.

ANY suggestions?! Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
In my opinion I don't think touchup paint would do a very good job on covering that damage. It would probably make it look even worse. If it were me I'd probably bite the bullet and have a body shop repaint the bumper. There are other members here far more knowledgeable than I and they may be able to provide other viable solutions. Hadn't had my first major "blemish" on this car yet but I remember how I felt when it happened on previous vehicles I owned. Good luck getting it fixed in a timely and satisfactory manner.

I believe you've read this thread listed below. The suggestion by @RTexasF is a good one. I see those guys on the dealer lots all the time and I know they do freelance work.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=141634

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Agree with User. Touch up paint is not going to look good. Get it repainted and don't file insurance. You should be able to get that done for under $500. Might even get a better deal if you pull the bumper off yourself and take it to the body shop (remove the fog lights and any plastic trim of course).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe you guys are right. But I don't know because the guy at the shop told me that paying to repaint for this size scratch is not worth it. He told me to bring him the touch up paint and he would do it for me free of charge. I think it looks bigger in the pictures.
I did read that other thread which is why I am considering touch up paint (a lot of posts on that thread suggested that) and the scratch that guy has is similar in size.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You can always try that first and if you don't like the results you can go the other route. If you are any way OCD or anal about your car/stuff you won't be happy with a mere touchup. Just my .02 worth. Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'm new to this site sorry if I posted things twice.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It's really up to you and how much it bothers you. Touch up paint won't look good in the end. But sure, try that route first if you have someone offering to do that for you. See the end result and if you don't like it, then do a repaint.

·
Registered
213 Posts
yea touchup paint isn't going to cover that too well.. if you're not OCD, have him do the touchup for free, then see if the result is to your liking

1 - 8 of 8 Posts