Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of my first oil change and there is no washer on the plug. Is this normal for the ED 2.4L? When I bought the filter at the dealer the parts guy said there was a washer as being listed on my car, was he wrong?

I double checked the pan, it's not stuck to it.

Jay

·
Registered
514 Posts
Did it leak around the drain bolt? Does the manual say anything? I'd go to one of the Honda parts websites for your trim and check the parts list and blow up diagram...

I think you posted this a while ago, what did you find?

·
No PRND
583 Posts
If it's metal on metal it should have the crush washer. Check your used oil? Maybe it stuck for a second and fell when you weren't looking.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Did it leak around the drain bolt? Does the manual say anything? I'd go to one of the Honda parts websites for your trim and check the parts list and blow up diagram...

I think you posted this a while ago, what did you find?
Of course the manual 'says something.'

Page 505 and 506

1. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature, and then turn the engine off.
2. Open the hood and remove the engine oil fill cap.
3. Remove the drain bolt and washer from the bottom of the engine, and drain the oil into a suitable container.
4. Remove the oil filter and dispose of the remaining oil.
5. Check that the filter gasket is not stuck to the engine contact surface.
If it is stuck, you must detach it.
6. Wipe away dirt and dust adhering to the contact surface of the engine block, and install a new oil filter. Apply a light coat of new engine oil to the oil gasket.
7. Put a new washer on the drain bolt, then reinstall the drain bolt.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
There should be an washer, if not, then put the plug in for now and get the washer to put it back.

You don't have to drain the oil, just have the drain pan below the oil pan, have the washer ready, loosen the drain plug but do not remove it completely, once you are really ready, remove the drain plug, plug the hole with one of your finger to miniimize the oil drain while putting the washer on the drain plug, then quickly remove your finger and put in the drain plug.

You should loose minimal amount of oil.

·
Elvira
3,603 Posts
There should be an washer, if not, then put the plug in for now and get the washer to put it back.

You don't have to drain the oil, just have the drain pan below the oil pan, have the washer ready, loosen the drain plug but do not remove it completely, once you are really ready, remove the drain plug, plug the hole with one of your finger to miniimize the oil drain while putting the washer on the drain plug, then quickly remove your finger and put in the drain plug.

You should loose minimal amount of oil.
Is this method from your personal experience too ?:headbash: :headbash:double is intentional!!!
Miker

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's metal on metal it should have the crush washer. Check your used oil? Maybe it stuck for a second and fell when you weren't looking.

We have A winner! I filtered the used oil with a paint filter and found it! I could not get all the way to the bolt with my ramps, so I was reaching above my head and never saw it drop into the pan.

I did consult the manual, and it affirmed that there was one, but manuals can be wrong.

The new washer is on, fresh synthetic oil in, and new oil filter torqued to spec.

Thanks for everyone's quick responses, it is appreciated. Sorry it took me a while to get back in here, I was installing snow tires on two cars for the rest of the afternoon,

Jay

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
We have A winner! I filtered the used oil with a paint filter and found it! I could not get all the way to the bolt with my ramps, so I was reaching above my head and never saw it drop into the pan.

I did consult the manual, and it affirmed that there was one, but manuals can be wrong.
Jay
Manuals can be wrong about oil drain plugs needing a gasket to prevent leaks?

If you say so....

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Manuals can be wrong about oil drain plugs needing a gasket to prevent leaks?

If you say so....
Yes, I do say so. I changed the oil for years on GM products that did not have gaskets or washers on the drain plugs. Most industrial equipment at my factory does not have gaskets or washers on the oil drain plugs.

I've seen many manuals be wrong in my line of work. My 2005 Magnum came with a stack of addendum cards to go with the owners manual of things that were incorrect in the first printing. On my 1989 Trans Am the owners manual was wrong about how to shut off and lower the headlights. Owners manuals are written by humans, humans make mistakes.

It's the first year of the Earth Dreams engine. The write up covers both the I-4 and V6. In my mind there was some question if it was right.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yes, I do say so. I changed the oil for years on GM products that did not have gaskets or washers on the drain plugs. Most industrial equipment at my factory does not have gaskets or washers on the oil drain plugs.

I've seen many manuals be wrong in my line of work. My 2005 Magnum came with a stack of addendum cards to go with the owners manual of things that were incorrect in the first printing. On my 1989 Trans Am the owners manual was wrong about how to shut off and lower the headlights. Owners manuals are written by humans, humans make mistakes.

It's the first year of the Earth Dreams engine. The write up covers both the I-4 and V6. In my mind there was some question if it was right.
I've long found it curious that Honda continues to cling to the crush washer. Design works well but no longer necessary nor desirable today. Current GM drain plug is a good model.

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you fill the filter with oil before installing the new one?
No. I have never done that with any car that I have changed the oil on in the past.

Is there something with Hondas that that should be done? If so let me know and I will start on the next oil change. :)

I did however lube the oring and clean the mating surface. I also made sure the old o-ring was accounted for.

I did find it interesting that my car had a factory Filtech filter. I thought these were a thing of the past?

Jay

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Just be sure to use a touch of that old oil from your drain pan to lube the o-ring on the filter!

·
Registered
67 Posts
No. I have never done that with any car that I have changed the oil on in the past.

Is there something with Hondas that that should be done? If so let me know and I will start on the next oil change. :)

Jay
Nope have never filled the oil filter with oil in the past either. I think it is overrated for people claiming that it will dry start. It probably would not hurt though since the I4 filter is basically straight up and down. :banana:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

I did however lube the oring and clean the mating surface. I also made sure the old o-ring was accounted for.

I did find it interesting that my car had a factory Filtech filter. I thought these were a thing of the past?

Jay
You're good. Filling oil filters before install is another ebb and flow case of paranoia that has root in half century old reasonable advice.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
When I did my first oil change, I made a special trip to the dealer just to buy a new "crush washer" as it's called, and I couldn't see any difference between that washer and the one I pulled off the car. The next time I change the oil, I'm gonna use the same washer over again.

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
When I did my first oil change, I made a special trip to the dealer just to buy a new "crush washer" as it's called, and I couldn't see any difference between that washer and the one I pulled off the car. The next time I change the oil, I gonna use the same washer over again.
Yes, I never had an issue doing this on my old Accord. If you clean around it you can check for leaks, and if it's leaking you can replace it on your next oil change. I was surprised how easy it was to change my oil in the V6, I just took off the front passenger tire, jacked it up a bit, opened the bolt and the oil filter was right behind the tire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts