Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughter's 2008 Honda Accord wouldn't start one day. Jumped it, ran fine for a few days, wouldn't start again, bought a new battery.

Worked fine for a few days, then it wouldn't start.

Did a parasitic drain test, found the driver's dome light switch was bad. Replaced, retested, no parasitic drain.

Took it to our mechanic, did two system tests, found nothing wrong. They tested the alternator, said it was weak and probably drawing from the battery. Replaced alternator ($550)

We just got back from where we bought the battery thinking maybe the new battery had a bad cell. Nope, battery is fine.

Took it to Honda Dealership yesterday, they could not detect a drain.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Elvira
3,679 Posts
You have a key-on battery drain and I can only think of the starting circuit as a system that could cause a huge current draw with cables large enough to handle the draw.

All other circuits I would think would pop a fuse.

Thinking out loud, could the starter be shorted to ground and causing a return to the battery while in "run"?

If the short was in the ignition switch in "run" that switch would get mighty hot.

One additional thought may be the cooling fan is always on or high resistance short drawing current while in "run". This wouldn't cause a parasitic drain as you have measured for already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miler,

I appreciate your reply! I am creating a list of all ideas. Your offering is unique so thank you so much for commenting.

BobbyD

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Watch it end up being something stupid like a bad wire in one of the tail light connectors backfeeding voltage or sum'n lol. Idunno though I'm no automotive electrician at all, but I do hope you get it figured out soon, BobbyD! Good luck!

·
Registered
455 Posts
explain what it's doing with you try to start it when it wont start. does it click? is there any power to the car? i'm guessing the starter or starter solenoid is bad. maybe wack the starter next time before jumping it. i'm just guessing off the little info provided so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gen8fanatic,

It all depends on how long it 'sat' between driving.

Sometimes it will be a very weak start...no clicking, the engine trying to turn over, just not enough juice in the battery.

Sometimes you will hear major 'clicking' and not much else.

Third scenario is 'lights out'...nothing. The dash lights won't even come on.

Thanks,

BobbyD

·
Elvira
3,679 Posts
Any updates ?

TIA

·
Registered
455 Posts
any aftermarket electronics installed in the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Miker,

Thanks for asking for an update.

I do have one but wanted to wait a few days so as not to 'jinx' me!

We took the car back to the dealership where they went over it with a fine-toothed comb. They found a faulty relay switch in the AC system, replaced that and so far, so good.

$140.00

Well worth it. I have to admit, I avoid taking my cars to the dealership but Honda Mall of a Georgia did us right!

Thanks for your input!

BobbyD

·
Elvira
3,679 Posts
Miker,

Thanks for asking for an update.

I do have one but wanted to wait a few days so as not to 'jinx' me!

We took the car back to the dealership where they went over it with a fine-toothed comb. They found a faulty relay switch in the AC system, replaced that and so far, so good.

$140.00

Well worth it. I have to admit, I avoid taking my cars to the dealership but Honda Mall of a Georgia did us right!

Thanks for your input!

BobbyD
That's great news.

Evidently the relay must have been stuck ON?

I get the "jinx" comment. Don't want to p-off the car gods if we don't have too.:grin

Reactions: BobbyD
1 - 10 of 10 Posts