Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just lowered my CT. Looks great but it is way too bouncy and the shocks bottoms out on any pothole and dip. Im confused in that shock absorbers or struts I can get. For a lowered CT.Too much to like driving it. I think I messed up by having it done and not doing research first. Do I need to get adjustable shocks? And from what car or shoo?
20210204_113226.jpg
20210130_145053.jpg
l IM AFRAID IM DAMAGING MY CT

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,997 Posts
How did you lower it?

Reactions: capkirk123

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you lower it?
i went to a shop and unknowing to me, that there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. I thought there was only one way. So long story short, they heated up my springs and let gravity assist in lowering my CT. I had no idea of what a mess that was in store for me. Im at a complete loss and cant find any help on the issue. Please if you know of a way that I can fix the extreme bounce and keep the lowered part, I would be ecstatic.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
By heating up the steel, they undid the heat treatment the springs were given at the factory. They are worth their weight in junk iron now. Although I have to admit it's a creative and new (to me) way to how not to lower a car. You want to get another set of springs from a donor car. Some people just cut a coil or two off the factory springs and grind the top flat, which is also not a good way to drop, but probably not any worse than what they did to your car.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,997 Posts
Get rid of what you have and shop for a set of coilovers.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
12,732 Posts
So long story short, they heated up my springs and let gravity assist in lowering my CT.
:ROFLMAO: Ghetto.

Although I have to admit it's a creative and new (to me) way to how not to lower a car.
There were 3 ways we poor kids (not me personally... but friends and co-workers) did it back in the day ('80s and '90s) to lower our cars when springs were prohibitively expensive:

1) cut a coil
2) heat and compress
3) use spring clamps

I wouldn't be surprised if the blow torch they used to heat up the spring degraded the damper (shock) oil.

Time to replace everything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like they destroyed the shocks. I agree with the above post, if they heated the springs while still on the car, then the shocks are toast (literally and figuratively).

·
Registered
47 Posts
i went to a shop and unknowing to me, that there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. I thought there was only one way. So long story short, they heated up my springs and let gravity assist in lowering my CT. I had no idea of what a mess that was in store for me. Im at a complete loss and cant find any help on the issue. Please if you know of a way that I can fix the extreme bounce and keep the lowered part, I would be ecstatic.
Unfortunately your springs are shot and will need to be replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts