Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I own a 07 Accord Type S. Stock Head Unit (Non PSS).

So during the last 2 weeks I've been installing new set of speakers and amp to upgrade the terrible audio that I had originally in my car.

By terrible audio I mean, tweets under a windscreen, Front door speakers magnets size of a penny, no rear door speakers at all and rear shelf speakers made out of paper.

So I got hertz in the doors and tweets, vibe in the shelf and 4 channel amp to power all of the speakers via a high level input connected directly to the Head Unit (two high level inputs, 1 for 2 channels).

Since that install, I get whining noise coming from the tweeters. I adjusted the amp gain to minimum but still can hear a tiny bit of sound from the tweets. I'm testing on 50% gain as the noise is very loud at that level. I can hear the noise more when I turn my car on and acceleration, switching lights on etc does impact the sound making it louder or clicking when I do such stuff (Alternator noise).

So what I did to resolve the issue:
- I dragged my good quality shielded RCAs in the middle of the car where the power and remote is on the left side
- I tried grounding the RCAs to the chassis and radio chassis
- Tried grounding high level inputs to the chassis, radio chassis and battery minus
- Made sure it's a grounding problem by disconnecting RCAs from Head Unit while radio was on, the noise stopped when I disconnected the RCAs from the head unit meaning the problem is in the front of the car
- Noise insulators did not help at all

I have NOT yet tried grounding the Head Unit other than it's original ground spot (which is the bolt behind the Head Unit.
Anyone has any suggestions in that specific topic? Grounding the Head Unit? I believe it's poorly grounded and should I try doing that at all?

Or is the Head Unit faulty?

I read hundreds of topics and forums regarding this and it seems common. Since I tried all the common fixes, does anyone here have any other suggestions that I should try?

I was thinking taking my Head Unit apart and trying to isolate it a bit better? Pulling a new ground wire and grounding it somewhere else?

Any help is appreciated. I'm currently stuck with that annoying noise and would love to get rid of it knowing it must be a ground issue!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I tried again... I tried to ground the head unit directly to the amp ground point (under rear seatbelt bolt) but still no effect...

there is nothing else I can think of... bad high level inputs?? bad head unit??

Help :(

·
7th Gear
1,444 Posts
So I tried again... I tried to ground the head unit directly to the amp ground point (under rear seatbelt bolt) but still no effect...

there is nothing else I can think of... bad high level inputs?? bad head unit??

Help :(
The stock headunits are garbage for aftermarket. The best I could do without adding an aftermarket head unit was to use a Kicker sum 8 line adapter. It cleaned things up pretty nice, though I went with a second head unit anyways.

I'm pretty sure I have that hanging around the garage somewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock headunits are garbage for aftermarket. The best I could do without adding an aftermarket head unit was to use a Kicker sum 8 line adapter. It cleaned things up pretty nice, though I went with a second head unit anyways.

I'm pretty sure I have that hanging around the garage somewhere.
Thanks! What aftermarket head unit do you suggest? Have any links?
I did see some HU from China for around 300dollars but are they any good...

·
7th Gear
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I was expecting something for the original head unit place...
After connecting this Pioneer one you lost your steering wheel controls right?

I would be looking to leave my storage box original and just either fix the original radio or get a HU that fits the original place...

However, while I was working on my problem yesterday I might have found the issue that was causing the noise. Will update if I fixed it on Sunday

·
7th Gear
1,444 Posts
ok I was expecting something for the original head unit place...
After connecting this Pioneer one you lost your steering wheel controls right?

I would be looking to leave my storage box original and just either fix the original radio or get a HU that fits the original place...

However, while I was working on my problem yesterday I might have found the issue that was causing the noise. Will update if I fixed it on Sunday
The unit that allows the factory head unit to be replaced, sucks.

I did lose the steering wheel controls, but I have an rca for my rear camera on the way, as well as a steering control interface, so they'll be back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The unit that allows the factory head unit to be replaced, sucks.

I did lose the steering wheel controls, but I have an rca for my rear camera on the way, as well as a steering control interface, so they'll be back.
Oh so there is a way to get the steering control back! Can you provide some more details about that?
So you installed the Pioneer in the storage box under the original head unit and you're going to connect the steering control interface to the pioneer directly? How is that done and what are you using to get it working?

·
7th Gear
1,444 Posts
Oh so there is a way to get the steering control back! Can you provide some more details about that?
So you installed the Pioneer in the storage box under the original head unit and you're going to connect the steering control interface to the pioneer directly? How is that done and what are you using to get it working?
Yeah, any steering wheel control interface that works with CAN BUS should work fine. It's pretty universal, just a headphone jack in the back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced just my rear trunk 6x9s and door speakers 6.5 with ~94db infinity references coaxials. Left tweeters. I now get feedback after changing the stock speakers. I also used harnesses to plug into stock connection. No amp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts