Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP PLEASE.

Hi everyone, i'm NEW, tried reading all the newbie forum stuff first but haven't seen anything regarding replacing OEM tires.

My car trim came with premium wheels, Michelin Pilot HXMXM4, 235/45-18. Concern is after going slightly over 17,100 miles they have become LOUD. I do mostly city driving, some highway. Dealer said they can send tires back to manufacturer (prorate majority of costs to me, pay small difference) HOWEVER really need suggestions on better, would love quieter V rating tires. So far I think I've narrowed down to:

Michelin Pilot HXMXM4 (same replacements but new)
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3
Pirelli P7 All Season Plus
Yokohama YK580.

Overall i live in North Florida, all seasons come and go, mostly heat with no snow in since 1989. Would love to stick with all seasons, been reading online reviews for each and so many all over the place. Some say some are loud, not loud, etc. PLEASE HELP. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :notworthy

·
BringTheIntegraBack
256 Posts
Tires should not go bad in just 17K miles. Only the Acura NSX ate tires that quickly.

Try something as simple as changing the tire pressure you use; may bring noise down -- pressures that are too low or too high, each produce a unique type of loudness. I prefer to keep mine on the high end.

Keep in mind that Hondas are inherently louder cars than most other brands. Just have to deal with the perceived noise.

The V rating is a speed rating, not a quietness rating. Yes, stickier (softer) rubber will likely be quieter, but that comes with lower tread life. At around a thousand bucks for a set of tires today, I am okay dealing with noise compared to getting new tires more frequently. Those Primacy MXM tires can be had in a 550 treadwear rating. That is over 5 times the tread life of a 100 treadwear rating tire. Check the treadwear rating on the tires you want to buy, and do the math for your own driving patterns knowing that softer rubber rubber lasts for fewer miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts